Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricks are being shat!

Options
  • 08-04-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Okay my WHV runs out on May 5th and I haven’t sent off my part of the application for my 457 visa as I’m waiting for a letter from my insurance company to go along with it. I don’t know if my company has done all their side of the paperwork or not yet because the company’s HR person isn’t in all the time. I know they have done some of it because they have given me a Client ID number and a Sponsorship Request ID number.

I’m worried because I think she put down in her section of the form that the position is for a draftsman which I couldn’t find on the list of jobs for the 457 visa. I sent her an e-mail and rang her asking her to e-mail immigration and ask them to change this to Architectural Assistant which is on the list but she hasn’t gotten back to me yet.

When the paperwork is all in do they issue you with a bridging visa straight away?

I also have been requested to go give evidence in a trial in England which means I will have to leave the country on about the 15th of May which will probably be during my time on the bridging visa.

Someone tell me its all okay and I have nothing to worry about... (as long as its true)
    My stomach is in knots over this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john70

Ok first off once your application goes in before midnight on the last day of your WHV visa you are safe this will put you on to a bridging visa alright
    but it also depends what type of bridging visa as you would have to apply for the briging visa that allows you to leave the country as the standard one does not.

if your company has sponsored before the will have no problems putting in the paperwork on time if it is the first time they have sponsored someone they themselfs would have to apply to sponsor you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Thanks john70! My company has never sponsored anyone before.

There was nothing on the form (1066) that I filled out regarding the bridging visa do I have to apply for this separately? If not how do I guarantee that I get one that lets me go and get back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

call the DIAC help centre, they are pretty helpful, the number is on the bottom of most of their forms, tell them the situation and ask them which of the bridging visas allows an overseas stay, the other alternative is to poohpooh the trial, and give a deposition(not sure what else they are called) might be enough....if you can't leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

If your WHV expires and you still haven't gotten an answer on the sponsorship, providing that everything is lodged by May 5th, you will automatically go onto a Bridging Visa A. The only issue there will be with this is that you will not be entitled to leave the country while you're on a Bridging Visa A.

In order to leave to give evidence in England you're going to need a Bridging Visa B. This visa costs $90 and you need to provide "substantial reasons for travelling overseas", although I assume having to give evidence would be a good enough reason. Have a look here for the Bridging Visa B application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

It was my understanding that the company has to lode the nomination before the visa application is lodged. At least that's the way it was for me.

I applied online, and the first screen, they wanted the transaction reference code for their nomination application. Wasn't able to get past the screen without it. They had been on the ball very quickly though, as they had sponsored before.

As soon as I made the payment at the end of my visa application, the bridging visa was instantaneously granted.

Good luck with it though. I only got sponssored on 25th Feb for a WHV ending on 26th March this year. 457 granted on Tuesday just past so happy days!

Hope it all works out for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

457s are granted pretty quickly,usually within a week at most,so you should have plenty of time. As well as that,you're granted a bridging visa as soon as the application is initially processed, so you should be ok.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

im just after going through the exact same situation. it was stressful but i got it sorted. You do need the TRN number, or a receipt number, from your bosses application to lodge yours. if your in a hurry, do it on the net. it will be processed immediatly and you will be granted the bridging visa A.
    You will be able to tell whether you have it the bridging visa or not by going here http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/check-progress.htm.

Once you have the TRN from YOUR application, apply for the bridging visa B. I went into the office to do this, and the girl at the counter tried to call the people in the 457 visa office to get an immediate answer, but she couldnt get through, so i had to leave it with her. after about a week, i got it 2 days before i had to leave the country. (again, very stressful :)).

i didnt have "reasonable circumstances" or whatever for leaving the country, i went on holidays to Thailand and there was no problem. They said that because a decision wasnt likely to be made on my 457 visa while i was away, it was all good. I think thats the only reason why they wouldnt give you a Bridging Visa B, is if they think a decision will be made while your away because you HAVE to be in the country when they make a decision.

Best of luck OP, the red tape with that department is ludricrous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Thanks guys, I've sent off all my side of the paperwork so my part is done until they tell me I've ****ed up and to give them more info. Just got stressed out with it all today.

Advertisement