Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me compare prices?

• 08-04-2010 4:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I are planning a move to Europe and are considering Ireland. ( All 4 of her grandparents were born there ) We're very interested in comparing what we pay here to what we'd pay there. I know prices have fallen a bit over the last year or so and I'd love to see where they stand on things I buy often. I'll post what I pay here in the US, Florida to be exact. I'll post it in Euros so it's not such a pain to convert. I also tend to shop at the cheapest store ( Walmart ) unless I'm buying steaks or something like that. The prices would be higher at a smaller store.

4 liters milk ( we don't have it by the liter here ) = 2.60euro

.45kg boneless chicken breasts = 2.60

load of whole grain bread = 1.65

1 dozen eggs = 1.12

lean hamburger meat = 2.25

cinema ticket = 7.50

cable television with broadband internet = 67

gym membership ( no pool or sauna ) = 26

large container of ground coffee ( usually get Folgers ) = 6

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I know gas/petrol is much more expensive over there, same with television sets. If there's anything anyone wants to compare with me, let me know. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

Cato78 wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are planning a move to Europe and are considering Ireland. ( All 4 of her grandparents were born there ) We're very interested in comparing what we pay here to what we'd pay there. I know prices have fallen a bit over the last year or so and I'd love to see where they stand on things I buy often. I'll post what I pay here in the US, Florida to be exact. I'll post it in Euros so it's not such a pain to convert. I also tend to shop at the cheapest store ( Walmart ) unless I'm buying steaks or something like that. The prices would be higher at a smaller store.

4 liters milk ( we don't have it by the liter here ) = 2.60euro

.45kg boneless chicken breasts = 2.60

load of whole grain bread = 1.65

1 dozen eggs = 1.12

lean hamburger meat = 2.25

cinema ticket = 7.50

cable television with broadband internet = 67

gym membership ( no pool or sauna ) = 26

large container of ground coffee ( usually get Folgers ) = 6

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I know gas/petrol is much more expensive over there, same with television sets. If there's anything anyone wants to compare with me, let me know. :cool:

Public transport is expensive here!

check dublinbus.ie & irishrail.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cato78

Public transport is expensive here!

check dublinbus.ie & irishrail.ie

Yeah, I know, but at least it's an option for you. We don't have ANY public transportation outside of very big cities like New York and Washington DC. If I didn't have a car I'd be stuck at my house. I wouldn't be able to walk or bike anywhere. I've checked out the Dublin bus site before and the other one as well...the name escapes me. Anyway, it seems everything is expensive there. I still can't figure out why this is so exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Milk, bread, eggs and cinema can be got for pretty much the same here. Dont know about the others. And of course minimum wage and welfare are much better here than in the US. Good luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cato78 wrote: »

4 liters milk ( we don't have it by the liter here ) = 2.60euro (1ltr in Ireland is 1.35)

.45kg boneless chicken breasts = 2.60 (pack of 5 chicken fllets 6.75 from my butcher but unsure of weght)

load of whole grain bread = 1.65 (more or less the same)

1 dozen eggs = 1.12 (half a dozen eggs about 1.35)

lean hamburger meat = 2.25 (steak mince about 3.50)

cinema ticket = 7.50 (same price)

cable television with broadband internet = 67 (dependent on speed and channels required)

gym membership ( no pool or sauna ) = 26 (40 with pool and sauna)

large container of ground coffee ( usually get Folgers ) = 6 (not sure)

Hope this answers a few questions, remember though. Our wages are generally higher than you get in the US.
    Be prepared for crap weather though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The prices I can think of off the top of my head are

Milk €1.49 for 2L. Pricier for Irish produced milk.
    www.aldi.ie www.lidl.ie

Cinema Tickets about €10 - €11 for adults
    http://www.movies-at.ie/swords/home.php

Gym - I'm in one for €25pm with Gym & Sauna (you pay by the year though). That's a pretty good one and unusually cheap for Dublin. They can be a lot pricier.

Cable TV with broadband - Cable TV isn't available everywhere. If you can get it, it's not a bad price with broadband. You should be able to beat the €67 for a good broadband package and basic channels. http://www.upc.ie/
    If you can't get it you have to get Satellite (UPC again or Sky) http://www.sky.com/portal/site/ireland
    Then for your broadband there are loads of choices. Some pricier than others.

Eggs - I'd guess at about €3 for 18. Not sure. Not far off it though.

On the plus side the wages are pretty good (minimum is €8.50 per hour for a permanent job) but most jobs pay more than that if you're qualified.
    On the negative side unemployment is high(ish). It depends a lot on your skills. Have a look at www.recruitireland.com www.irishjobs.ie www.jobs.ie
    Also you'll need to have a look at rental www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie
    That takes a fair chunk of the wages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement