Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked potatoes from the oven

Options
  • 08-04-2010 9:38am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Usually I do my baked spuds in the microwave but I'm having people over for dinner and need to do a few in one go.. What temperature should I put my oven on, I have a fan assisted one, and for how long??

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Edit: and I'm planning on putting sour cream and chives on them, anyone got any other nice toppings I could use apart from the obvious cheese, coleslaw etc?

I'll be doing them with a chicken creole..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Poke holes all over them, wrap them in foil and bake for about 60 min for an average sized baker. I like to top them with herby cream cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I usually start mine in the microwave and finish in the oven. It's a lot quicker - I'm not that patient!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Rub the skin with olive oil and for the last 10 mins turn the oven up full for a lovely crispy skin, make sure you eat the skin its the best part of the potato

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I rub the skin with oil and salt and put them straight onto the oven shelf. I don't bother wrapping them in foil, although I do put a foil on the shelf below to catch any dripping oil. I bake them for an hour at about 180-190 for an hour. Sometimes I turn the temperature up a bit but they'll be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside regardless. Oh I prick them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Everyone has their own way I suppose, but I prick a few hole in the spuds, rub olive oil and salt on them,put a little criss cross on top of them, wrap them in tinfoil and bake at 180 for about an hour. I open the tinfoil then and cook for another 15 mins or so. Makes the skin nice and crispy and I agree the skin is the best part!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys, some great tips there, never would have thought of rubbing the oil and salt in :D

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I start mine in the microwave too :D
    Then coat in olive oil or spray fry lite on them and into the oven to crisp up.

I love them with leftover chilli con carne and cheese on top. :pac:
    Makes a yummy quick and 'diferent' dinner with leftover chilli.

Or you could try garlic mayo, salsa, pesto, tuna mayo and sweetcorn etc for toppings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

cover in olive oil and into an oven heated to about 200 should take no longer then 40 mins depending on the spud....

the olive oil salt gets the skin nice a nd crunchy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I usually pop them in the microwave to start them - then into a hot oven to finish cooking & go crispy! Once out of the oven cut in half - scoop out the fluffy potato & mash with butter, cheese & some black pepper. Once mashed pop back into the skins & pop them back in the oven to go crispy & golden on top. In a frying pan fry bacon bits, onion & tomatoes with a dollop of English mustard - top the spuds with the bacon mixture - blooming yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

FAYESY wrote: »
    I usually pop them in the microwave to start them - then into a hot oven to finish cooking & go crispy! Once out of the oven cut in half - scoop out the fluffy potato & mash with butter, cheese & some black pepper. Once mashed pop back into the skins & pop them back in the oven to go crispy & golden on top. In a frying pan fry bacon bits, onion & tomatoes with a dollop of English mustard - top the spuds with the bacon mixture - blooming yummy!

I love baked potato done this way, but add some garlic with the onion to fry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement