Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qualifications

• 08-04-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Ok so I'm planning on taking my photography further and getting some qualifications under my belt seems the best way to start.

But having looked at some of the websites I'm a little confused SWPP IPPA etc.

Which ones are recognised qualifications? Is there one better than the others and how do I start.

Sorry if this is a silly question I did do a search of the forum before anyone suggests that but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Recognised by whom? By potential clients? Recognised by your peers?

SWPP, IPPA, etc ... they're all the same. It makes very little difference which one you join.

What do you want your qualifications for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you will see these organisations are slightly frowned upon here by alot of folk... personally i can see the benefit... potential clients will think it means your a better photographer than someone else, this is not the case in reality, the groups just have great marketing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Orly

They would be affiliations. A degree, masters etc. would be a qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

When I say recognised I guess I'm asking are they respected affliations / qualifications or are they a con? Like what benifit are they? Having done a degree in a semi related area and planning on a masters for next year would going through the process of getting affliated be worth the effort.

I'm mostly interested in documentary and portraiture work?

I'm sorry if this is blatantly obvious to evryone else but Im trying to make me way on that preverbial ladder.

Orly wrote: »
    They would be affiliations. A degree, masters etc. would be a qualification

I assume the OP means a qualification such as licentiate, associate, fellowship, etc, of such associations as IPPA, SWPP, etc.

• Advertisement

tullie wrote: »
    When I say recognised I guess I'm asking are they respected affliations / qualifications or are they a con? Like what benifit are they? Having done a degree in a semi related area and planning on a masters for next year would going through the process of getting affliated be worth the effort.

I'm mostly interested in documentary and portraiture work?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - portfolio, portfilio, portfolio.

The associations tend to have a set "standard" by which you submit a panel of images (portfolio) for judging, after which a "qualification" may be granted.

What benifit are they? Very good question, and maybe someone can answer that, because I have yet to work that out myself (even though I hold one of such qualifications).

Bottom line - what do you want the qualification for? What do you want to get out of your photography?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Orly

It probably depends on your perceived client base and how valuable you/they think an affiliation with the given organisation is.

For example a couple looking for a wedding photographer may value the IPPA affiliation since it potentially gives them peace of mind. At the same time a commercial photographer's clients are generally going to be coming via advertising agencies and designers, who already have knowledge of the photography business and know what they are looking for in a photographer, regardless of affiliation with organisations such as the IPPA. Many leading photographers choose not to join such bodies as their reputation and portfolios don't warrant a need for such reassurances, and perhaps see them as stuffy old boys clubs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

well the one advantage is, with one of these... since a portfolio is needed, the ol 'cowboys' like judge joe style togs are avoided, if i had to pay for a wedding tog i would base my decision on folio and meetings and references, but a decent accreditation goes a long way for alot of people when deciding on a tog

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

well the one advantage is, with one of these... since a portfolio is needed

A portfolio is not needed to become a member of the SWPP/BPPA. Anyone can become a member by simply sending off £99. You only need a portfolio to become a Licentiate. Very annoying, a lot of people promote themselves based on their 'membership' of the SWPPand plaster the letters all over their website. It means absolutely nothing.

VisionaryP wrote: »
    A portfolio is not needed to become a member of the SWPP/BPPA. Anyone can become a member by simply sending off £99. You only need a portfolio to become a Licentiate. Very annoying, a lot of people promote themselves based on their 'membership' of the SWPPand plaster the letters all over their website. It means absolutely nothing.

bah i've been dupped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

Paulw wrote: »
    I assume the OP means a qualification such as licentiate, associate, fellowship, etc, of such associations as IPPA, SWPP, etc.

Apologies, yes that's what I meant. I know the SWPP do a 'mentor me' programe. But not sure if its any good. But as far as choosing where to start would the IPPA or SWPP be good starting points or are there other organisations I should be considering?

And thanks so much for the replies, its very useful.

Advertisement