Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing a car I bought that's out of tax since February?

• 08-04-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

How do I go about this?

I bought the car end March, tax ran out end of February, and I just got the logbook in the post today.

Do I just bring the logbook to the motor tax office and pay from the date I bought car, or am I charged for the unpaid expired tax?

Sorry for asking, but no answer in the tax office, I can only imagine due to the work to rule that's happening:(

Comments

Just go into the Guards and get in signed off the road for March. Its the section at the bottom of the tax renewal form.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

you just pay from the date on the registration cert (log book).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Just go into the Guards and get in signed off the road for March. Its the section at the bottom of the tax renewal form.

But I don't have a tax renewal form? I've only got the new logbook, and old tax disc that ran out in February?
    Paulyh wrote: »

The date of change of ownership was 27th March 2010, so do I just pay April's tax onwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're only liable from the start of the month in which you bought the car, ie March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You have to go into your tax office or Garda Station and pick up the appropriate form. Get it stamped then back to the tax office.

This might shed some light http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/motortax/procedures.html

• Advertisement

you can pick up a form in any garda station, or download it from motortax.ie.

Col200sx wrote: »

Do I just bring the logbook to the motor tax office and pay from the date I bought car, or am I charged for the unpaid expired tax?

Yep, you will need to fill in the form too though, available on the net or in the motot office, you are not charged for the period you did not own the car

If he bought the car towards the end of March even if he didn't use it until April he cannot make a declaration that the car was off the road for the month of March. He didn't own the car for the full month.
    Paulyh wrote: »

100% correct.

Toulouse wrote: »
    You have to go into your tax office or Garda Station and pick up the appropriate form. Get it stamped then back to the tax office.

you only need it stamped if you are declaring it off the road though

But I don't have a tax renewal form? I've only got the new logbook, and old tax disc that ran out in February?

Its this form:https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

You just fill out the details. Is the date on the log book for you owning the car in March or April? If its in April you don't need to get it signed off for march. If the date is March you will have to pay back tax unless you get it signed off the road.

Thanks guys, so since I bought the car 27th March, and tax expired end of February, I'm effectively paying the tax from start of March, so it won't be out of tax at all then?

Have downloaded that form, thanks for the help:)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, so since I bought the car 27th March, and tax expired end of February, I'm effectively paying the tax from start of March, so it won't be out of tax at all then?

Have downloaded that form, thanks for the help:)

yes, you pay for the full month that you registered your in i.e. March.
    but the march month will be an arrears month so the car will be up for renewal next April (if taxing for a year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Just to make the point again that if you didn't use the car til April, you're only liable from April, BUT you have to get the end of that form you downloaded signed and stamped by the gardai an fill in that it was off the road for Mar.

I just hate to see people pay more than they have to!

You can declare that you didn't drive it on the road for the 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31st March. That would save you the months tax. As said you need a guard to stamp it.

RoverJames wrote: »
    You can declare that you didn't drive it on the road for the 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31st March. That would save you the months tax. As said you need a guard to stamp it.

ya see the problem with motor tax is it only runs month to months, ie you can't pay for two weeks or one week if that's all you own it for. So when a person buys a car on the 27th of a month, and the tax has previously run out, they are in fact liable for teh full months tax, in OPs case, this is March.

However if they don't drive it during the last few days of the month, the person can declare it and not have to pay for that month. The period that must be certified is the full month as tax can only be paid for a month. A bit ridiculous I think, but that's how it;s set up.

The OP is only owned the car since the 27th, they can only declare it hasn't been used for the period 27th to the 31st, I have done this before and the guard had no problem stamping it :)

If they don't do this they will have to pay for the full month :)

The OP cannot declare the car off the road for March as they didn't own it from until the 27th.

The OP is only owned the car since the 27th, they can only declare it hasn't been used for the period 27th to the 31st, I have done this before and the guard had no problem stamping it :)

If they don't do this they will have to pay for the full month :)

the problem would lie with the motor tax office, not the gardai, but it depends on the person who receives the form. some might leave it go, some might not.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

There is nothing to disagree on to be honest :)
    Person in the tax office will want OP tp pay for March as they bought car on the 27th, if the OP has it declared not used from the 27th to the 31st then the tax office person won't expect them to pay.

It's not a case of the tax office person leaving it go or not, they have f all choice if the declaration form is complete and stamped. Anyway the OP hasn't said that they did not use the car from the 27th to the 31st so it's a chat about nothing.

There is nothing to disagree on to be honest :)
    Person in the tax office will want OP tp pay for March as they bought car on the 27th, if the OP has it declared not used from the 27th to the 31st then the tax office person won't expect them to pay.

It's not a case of the tax office person leaving it go or not, they have f all choice if the declaration form is complete and stamped. Anyway the OP hasn't said that they did not use the car from the 27th to the 31st so it's a chat about nothing.

well having worked in a tax office for a few years I can tell you this is not always the case. We were xpected to have a form stamped for the full month.

dearg lady wrote: »
    well having worked in a tax office for a few years I can tell you this is not always the case. We were xpected to have a form stamped for the full month.

So when someone buys a car on the 30th of March and doesn't use it until the 1st April and they mosey along to a tax office with a stamped form from the guards declaring they did not use the car on the road on the 30th or the 31st this would not suffice ?

I am so glad the folks who served me in the Cork Motor Tax Office did not share your view as if they did, they and their superiors would have been put firmly in their place.

So when someone buys a car on the 30th of March and doesn't use it until the 1st April and they mosey along to a tax office with a stamped form from the guards declaring they did not use the car on the road on the 30th or the 31st this would not suffice ?

I am so glad the folks who served me in the Cork Motor Tax Office did not share your view as if they did, they and their superiors would have been put firmly in their place.

:rolleyes:
    yes, that's what I said, I also said it's ridiculous, I just don't want OP to make a trip to then be told what they have isn't sufficient. I really couldn't care less what you think.

Op, maybe a call to your local tax office to confirm what they require as there is obviously some discrepancies between offices ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The Op can get it stamped off the road for March and only have to pay from April. But if he drove it in March and he declares it off the road for that month he is committing an offence.

As I said just sign if off for the month. The guard wont know or care when you bought it or if it was driven they never check ;) and unless you were stopped they wont know anyway and the person in the tax office will just see its signed off and tax it from April. Id sign it off for march if I drove it or not.

Op, maybe a call to your local tax office to confirm what they require as there is obviously some discrepancies between offices ;)

I would if I could. But can't get through, I think they're on a work to rule, that's why I asked here, it's last sentence on first post:)
    k_mac wrote: »
    But if he drove it in March and he declares it off the road for that month he is committing an offence.

I drove it in March, and I don't want to commit an offence. I'm a fully legal driver, and will continue to be so.

To clarify. I bought car March 27th, changed my insurance there and then, and have driven it daily since then. Tax expired end of February. So I suppose I'll have to pay for March so. I'd just wondered would they allow me to pay from April 1st.

The discrepency would be in the standard of staff.

The discrepency would be in the standard of staff.

I don't appreciate the veiled insult or taking the thread off topic. I'm doing my best to help the OP by giving all the information, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't appreciate the veiled insult or taking the thread off topic. I'm doing my best to help the OP by giving all the information, nothing more, nothing less.

I was referring to whoever advised counter staff to have a form stamped for the full month when some of the month was a previous owner period, it was not a veiled dig at yourself :) The report post function is handy at times like this though, it avoids back seat modding etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I taxed a car today I bought 28th March (just got log book back from Shannon).
    Went in to tax office with form RF100A and they told me to get it stamped at the Garda as otherwise I'd have to pay from March 1st.
    Went to the Garda, they stamped it no probs, back to the tax office and paid from April first. Yay, a few days free March motoring for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Roverjames is correct as far as I have ever known.

The OP seems to want to do the right thing though & in this case having driven the car in march, he will have to tax it for march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

biko wrote: »
    I taxed a car today I bought 28th March (just got log book back from Shannon).
    Went in to tax office with form RF100A and they told me to get it stamped at the Garda as otherwise I'd have to pay from March 1st.
    Went to the Garda, they stamped it no probs, back to the tax office and paid from April first. Yay, a few days free March motoring for me :D
    k_mac wrote: »
    But if he drove it in March and he declares it off the road for that month he is committing an offence.

:eek::eek::eek:

but...you committed an offence! Your crime is disgusting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement