Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm actually debating not going now cos of the drink stipulation. Load of me arse that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

The alcohol ban is absolutely ridiculous.
    Fair enough to have no alcohol at the gigs where there are bars but the campsite should be fair game.
    The organiser’s excuse is “its because of the licence”, that’s rubbish. You legally don’t need a licence for BYO. Insurance is not an excuse either because, to the underwriters, its irrelevant whether the alcohol is brought in or purchased on site.

This is plain and simple a money making exercise. Now I understand that this is a business, they need to turn a profit. But the prices quoted for cans constitute a 300% markup on cash and carry prices, never mind wholesale prices. That’s blatant profiteering.

And to add isult to injury they expect us to overpay for piss.
    Bavaria is horrible piss, its not even German either. Koppaberg is also complete piss, even worse than Bulmers and that’s saying something.

This will come back to bite the organisers in the arse. There is no appetite for this crap anymore in this country.
    I’m going cause I bought a ticket before they released the rules prices etc., but I won’t be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Even though the drink restrictions annoy me too I can see where they are coming from with it.

For anyone who hasn't been before it's a very small festival area (literally the grounds around the castle). They would need to close of the campsite at the woods at the back of the castle and search people going into the main venue like they do at all larger festivals to stop people bringing drink into the stages and ensure the money they get from the people who supply the bar services (and with a festival of this size that money is vital).

Closing off the campsite would take away from the festival in some way I believe. It really has a great atmosphere which is it's main selling point to me over the years and it's not worth risking it. You'll end up with people just sitting in the campsite and not randomly roaming around the place like one big party!

If this is your first year heading down hopefully you'll know what I mean by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Levitate

just wondering if i have a 2 day camping ticket, can i travel back saturday night and get in ok on the sunday with that ticket.

also, is it possible for 2 people to use the same ticket on the 2 different days

finally, any idea if it easy to get back and forth from dublin - imagine it would be ok sat morning and sun night but are there many buses put on on the sat night or sunday morning.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

No problem leaving the site on the Saturday night and coming back on the Sunday. You get given a wristband at the entrance to the castle grounds so just don't take it off. You won't be able to transfer it to someone else as a result though.

I don't believe any extra buses are "put on". It is just the standard public transport that is available. I've gotten the train without a problem in the past. The only thing is that it is a bank hollier and the trains/buses servicing Tullamore usually serve a good few other places so they could potentially be full at certain times.
    is there a need for wellies,theres alot less people than other festivals so does the ground tend to be less mucky!

You can probably get away with it. A couple of the parts got muddy when it rained but at worst it willl be a bit slippy not the shin high liquid mud of Punchestown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Just won VIP tickets :D

TBH Ive never heard of it before, even though I only live half an hour away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Hi guys,

My first time this year so a few questions.

While I know BYO alcohol is a strict no-no, how about bottles of water, soft drinks, etc? I'd prefer to bring my own Lidl six pack of water rather than paying a food stall for one.

How full does the campsite get? Is it like Oxegen, EP or Glasto where all the tents are right on top of each other? I may not get down there till the evening time and I have a nice sized 4 man tent. Will I struggle to find some free tent space?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Hi guys,

My first time this year so a few questions.

While I know BYO alcohol is a strict no-no, how about bottles of water, soft drinks, etc? I'd prefer to bring my own Lidl six pack of water rather than paying a food stall for one.

How full does the campsite get? Is it like Oxegen, EP or Glasto where all the tents are right on top of each other? I may not get down there till the evening time and I have a nice sized 4 man tent. Will I struggle to find some free tent space?

No problem with bottle water etc. And food/snacks.

Campsite is in the wooded area behind the castle. You can camp amongst the trees or in the open grass spaces. It does fill up but not hugely over crowded. If you arrive late you'll get your text up without a problem but will have to settle for the edges of the camping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Anyone ever played Castlepalooza? I'll be playing this weekend and what to know if the drink situation is any different for artists. Seems ridiculous to make artists buy €5 pints from the bar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jjedge

Have 2 x weekend camping Tickets goin cheap €125 for the lot can't go - Damit would love to be there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Anyone ever played Castlepalooza? I'll be playing this weekend and what to know if the drink situation is any different for artists. Seems ridiculous to make artists buy €5 pints from the bar...

might be an idea to ask the promoter rather than Boards people?

I'm sure Cillian etc will hook you up with something. We got a crate or 2 of beer at the very least the last time we played, the year before that was great, they had fridges going in the band area - but they've scaled than down a fair bit unfortunately. Saying that...I haven't a clue what they're doing this year...ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Hi. Just wondering does anyone know can you bring in your own non-alcoholic beer? I'm off drink at the mo, but enjoy a few Erdinger N/A. Can't stand Becks N/A though; if they have anything N/A it's usually that and I won't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

I was given 2 free couples treat tickets, have never been to this festival before. Myself and the girlfriend will be heading down on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

How does this compare to the atmosphere of the Electric Picnic?

Anybody know what the couples camping area is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

another question, I'm bringing a large tent and wonder if I'll have to walk far with it from car to campsite?

seems like there's lots of restrictions, can't do this, can't do that, etc,

Bagheera wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering does anyone know can you bring in your own non-alcoholic beer? I'm off drink at the mo, but enjoy a few Erdinger N/A. Can't stand Becks N/A though; if they have anything N/A it's usually that and I won't drink it.

I'm sure there will be glass restrictions so bottles of any sort are probably out. You might get away with cans. I've brought in other non alcoholic stuff in the past without a problem but I could also see how they may not allow it in for "appearances sake".
    Speculator wrote: »
    How does this compare to the atmosphere of the Electric Picnic?
    Anybody know what the couples camping area is like?

It is on a completely different scale to EP but if you like EP you'll probably have a good time at Castlepalooza.
    Couples camping area is pretty much the same as all the other areas just a tiny bit separated and elevated. You'll spot it as all the tents are identical so bring yourself something that you can add to make yours recognisable.
    travist wrote: »
    another question, I'm bringing a large tent and wonder if I'll have to walk far with it from car to campsite?

seems like there's lots of restrictions, can't do this, can't do that, etc,

The car park is in Tullamore town. To walk from it to the campsite is about 40 minutes. There is a shuttle bus but depending on the time you arrive you may be waiting a while for it. The walk is fairly nice though as long as its dry as the majority is the castle avenue.

As for restrictions other than the no booze in the campsite it is all standard festival fare from what I've experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annieca

Can you buy bulmers/ generic cider in off- license in Castle P?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Any idea what time the first acts are on tomorrow?

Two questions above:
    A.) I'm pretty sure it is Kopparberg only.
    B.) I would say 1pmish maybe? At the worst the opening party (which will be belly dancers I bet) will be midday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone know what the weather is like in tullamore today? torn between this and Indiependence... at current indiependence ahead because i can drink there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

ooh what a dilemma ... would love to see the rev again and missed fionn regan in spain he were on early, but i dont know if i could face it after the amazing good weather v damp festivals here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Could only get down for the Sunday, but had a great laugh. Yes Cadets, Le Galaxie and Noelle were all fantastic and the whole place had a great atmosphere :)

Very, very small though!

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Very, very small though!

In the best possible way :)

RichyX wrote: »
    In the best possible way :)

Oh yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

Super weekend. the festival hasn't lost any of it's charm. Decent crowd too. Norman Jay destroyed the place on Sunday. Wave Machines were decent (felt sorry for them during the technical probs they had). Some top quality DJs in the boudoir tent too. The Dying Seconds deserve a mention.

Kudos to the couple who were dressed up as the Naavi aliens from Avatar & the guy we met in the campsite that played Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On' on the tin whistle through his nose.

Probably the only time I'll ever see Duncan Stewart walking around with a Naavi alien on his shoulders.

Probably the only time I'll ever see Duncan Stewart walking around with a Naavi alien on his shoulders.

I heard about that :)

Many won't agree with me, but I'd like to see fewer DJs performing and more proper rock bands, like Adebisi Shank.

Great fun.. I'm in still physically sore from the weekend. Grounds and crowds were brilliant once again. Felt a little less packed than last year but I think it was just the right amount of people. Seemed the grounds may have been bigger than before too.

Organisation was generally top notch. Toilets stayed in good condition. Food was excellent. The drink ticket thing was a bit annoying but kept the bar flowing quickly enough. Was a bit cheeky that they were advertising beer as a pint when it was barely 500ml but obviously someone spotted this as at some point as it went down to only 4 euro for 500ml. Also was able to get cans for 3 quid a pop before the off license opened which was grand too as they were chilled. Search for drinks on the way in was minimal too.

Music wise I think the best was Daithi O Dronai. Like some sort of electro-Owen Pallett. Very nice surprise to go to. Lowly Knights, Cashier no.9, Sounds of System breakdown, Cast of Cheers and Candidates were all good fun too.

Reckon I'll find myself there again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Wave Machines were decent (felt sorry for them during the technical probs they had).

Yeah though Wave Machine were excellent alright.

Agreed on Duncan & Naavi - definition of the word sureal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 discogirl

Brilliant festival :D
    just the right size, lovely crowd and no messy kids or scummers.
    Fair play to the organisers for getting it so right. Please dont change anything next year! (we dont want it to turn into Electric Picnic )

RichyX wrote: »
    Many won't agree with me, but I'd like to see fewer DJs performing and more proper rock bands, like Adebisi Shank.

I agree. I felt the place died a bit on Sunday night when it was only Norman Jay and DJ Scope playing - fine if you're into house/retro but it would have been nice to have a rock act at the same time for some variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

What a brilliant festival. This was my third time going and I was really happy to see the toilet situation lasted the weekend this time. They were always clean and the staff were lovely. The camping area was great too and its such a pleasure having it so close to the venue. Never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus. Got a taxi right outside to take us back to the car park on Sunday. Minimal beer bag searches.

The crowd was awesome, like a little friendly village of neighbours by the end of it, and I didn't feel like an old granny.
    I thought Codes were brilliant (if only they had been on later), loved Le Galaxie, Yes Cadets, Mercury Rev, was a bit disappointed with Norman J to be honest, he seemed to lift it up then drop it again for my taste.
    I thought the beer token things was mega annoying and not knowing what bar would be open later for how long.

I'll be there again next year.

Advertisement