Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heuston station

• 08-04-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone leave a bike in Heuston station? I'm about to start commuting through there and I'm wondering how safe the bike racks are; I have a bike for commuting at the moment but I'm thinking of getting a trasher to leave at the train station if it's dodgy.

Thanks,

Oisin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I used to park my bike there but only used a rusty old bike. I was never in good enough time to go all the way down to the bike park, lock it and walk back for the train, so I used to just lock it to the stands at the entrance.

If you do lock it there, lock everything up, including the saddle. Every now and then thieves remove any and all removable parts from even the crappiest of bikes.

Can't speak for the actual bike park.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭irishpeloton

I've gone to Cork and left a hacker bike locked to the stands at the entrance for 3 or 4 days at a time. It's always been grand when I got back. That's not to say it always will be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've left a cheap bike there often enough. I wouldn't leave a good one. Most of the other bikes hanging around there look pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

you might be better off locking it outside the new criminal court (or whatever it is) @ the phoenix park and walk 3 minutes to the train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I commuted via the train last summer and left my bike in the bike park overnight and overweekend. Never had any problems. Just make sure you use a good ulock through the back wheel onto the bike stand and also a heavy chain through the front wheel, frame and bikestand.

You can leave the lock/chain there when going to work. There are so many badly locked bikes in there, which actually look like decent bikes, that if yours is locked well, no one will bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

And then there's the other side of the story
    Hi all i sold a Zed mountain bike to a guy who travelled up from Cork on Thursday 21st Jan. He locked it in Heuston station it was stolen before he came back to it. I feel awful about the incident and i would appreciate anybody that sees the bike to contact me on this address. It's a very unique bike so will be easily spotted. Here is the link to the add so you know what yer looking for. http://adverts.ie/174000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I wonder how he locked it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I used to park my bike there but only used a rusty old bike. I was never in good enough time to go all the way down to the bike park, lock it and walk back for the train, so I used to just lock it to the stands at the entrance.

If you do lock it there, lock everything up, including the saddle. Every now and then thieves remove any and all removable parts from even the crappiest of bikes.

Can't speak for the actual bike park.

I'll second the saddle. Don't trust the park, if your bike looks anyway descent they will try to nick it. When Its got to be the worst place to leave a bike. I had two robbed outside the station after having someone messing with the bike in the park. Use the DublinBikes if you can. I ended up having three locks on the bike: front wheel, back wheel and saddle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

you might be better off locking it outside the new criminal court (or whatever it is) @ the phoenix park and walk 3 minutes to the train?

That's closer to where the Gardai think some of the bike thefts come from, and it gets quite around there over night, if that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I never felt comfortable leaving a bike there, so I always brought mine with me on the train, which was a bit pricey.

I have a Brompton now, so I think I'll bring that from now on whenever I need to get a train.

• Advertisement
Advertisement