Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergies ref rants

• 08-04-2010 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Simple enough. Are Fergies ref rants getting a bit too much at this stage.

Are fergies Ref continuous rants justified 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

No. People who say yes need to grow a backbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

People say a lot of things immediately after a game, Rafa, Wenger, Mourinho...a lot of players do it too. It certainly isn't just Fergie and it certainly isn't something to get up in arms about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Simple enough. Are Fergies ref rants getting a bit too much at this stage.

Standard management tactic which he appeared to pioneer.
    Take the heat of the players/bad result with a headline grabbing rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. there isn't (or shouldn't be) a definitive answer on this.

What he is most guilty of would be not highlighting incompetencies from the ref that have benefited United, as opposed to unjustified rants in general.

Look at the Chelsea game for example - Fergie is COMPLETELY justified in saying that the non-decision for the Drogba goal is completely unacceptable. However, the Kiko was dubious at least too. So, do i feel he was justified in that rant about the ref - yes I do. Do I feel he was maybe a bit hypocritical in the topics he ranted about, yes i do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Wow, hard to believe but this exact post/poll was posted back in 1991.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

People say a lot of things immediately after a game, Rafa, Wenger, Mourinho...a lot of players do it too. It certainly isn't just Fergie and it certainly isn't something to get up in arms about.

No it isn't, I mean these guys are all in the job for a long time so these things are certainly not said in the heat of the moment but rather calculated and obviously it's part of the job description these days.

Yesterday showed however what a sore loser he is. But then again - as they say - show me a good loser and I show you a loser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    No. People who say yes need to grow a backbone.
    Point im making is that when he comes out nearly every game it dilutes his argument. Seems he has a clear complex at this stage. Agree Ribery made a big song and dance about Rafaels challenge but Rafael clearly pulled him back.
    I dont agree with what Rafa says or does a lot of the time but his general comment of "I dont comment on referees" is a sensible one.
    If Fergie came out occassionally and criticised ref it would be fair enough but it seems to be happening a bit too often.
    His comments on Alan Wiley's supposed lack of fitness and now the "typical Germans" jibe suggests he needs to back off a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there was nothing wrong with last night. it was completely typical of a manager who had just lost a game that they were in control of, a controversial decsion happens against his team, and he blames it.

totally normal.

the only minor problem was the 'typical Germans' comment.

he's admitted that Bayern were better 1st leg, and Utd were much better 2nd leg until the sending off. all true.

i've heard Fergie rants before, and I've heard him completely oblivious to decisions that went for his team, and bullish in defence of his team when he has no reason to be.

last night was not one of those.

he's actually mellowed out in the last few years.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. there isn't (or shouldn't be) a definitive answer on this.

What he is most guilty of would be not highlighting incompetencies from the ref that have benefited United, as opposed to unjustified rants in general.

Look at the Chelsea game for example - Fergie is COMPLETELY justified in saying that the non-decision for the Drogba goal is completely unacceptable. However, the Kiko was dubious at least too. So, do i feel he was justified in that rant about the ref - yes I do. Do I feel he was maybe a bit hypocritical in the topics he ranted about, yes i do.

Ah ye it's all blablabla and the part of the club propaganda.
    Drogbas goal was as blatant as Anelkas penalty claim but yet I bet he failed to mention that one.

I never liked the man. Under his 'Sir Alex' camouflage he is just a bitter little chav. Brilliant at what he does for a living but a bitter little chav all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ThreadFail.jpg

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    there was nothing wrong with last night. it was completely typical of a manager who had just lost a game that they were in control of, a controversial decsion happens against his team, and he blames it.

totally normal.

the only minor problem was the 'typical Germans' comment.

he's admitted that Bayern were better 1st leg, and Utd were much better 2nd leg until the sending off. all true.

i've heard Fergie rants before, and I've heard him completely oblivious to decisions that went for his team, and bullish in defence of his team when he has no reason to be.

last night was not one of those.

he's actually mellowed out in the last few years.
    If questioning the fitness of a match official is mellowing then I would hate to see Fergie on one of his bad days. I get the fact he thinks his team gets a raw deal from match refs some times but some of the stuff he comes out with is a bit off the mark sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boskowski wrote: »
    Ah ye it's all blablabla and the part of the club propaganda.
    Drogbas goal was as blatant as Anelkas penalty claim but yet I bet he failed to mention that one.

I never liked the man. Under his 'Sir Alex' camouflage he is just a bitter little chav. Brilliant at what he does for a living but a bitter little chav all the same.

If you read my post, I can't understand where you are coming from with this reply.

Boggles wrote: »
    ThreadFail.jpg
    Ill take that with the customary pinch of salt Boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In fiarness, he did defend the ref once in the famous carroll-drops-it-over-the-line incident...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ill take that with the customary pinch of salt Boggles.

No you can take it at face value.

No you can take it at face value.
    Poll split fifty fifty. So no I dont think so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They've always been too much, but don't you dare question Sir Alex...

If I could I'd beat you with that Poll.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

The "Depends on the situation option" is raging it was left out.

Sometimes they are,I think ref's are too protected anyway,say what you like Fergie!

If you read my post, I can't understand where you are coming from with this reply.

I know. Wasn't really a reply to you as such. Just came into my head while reading your post.

• Advertisement

If I could I'd beat you with that Poll.

:pac:
    If I could I'd beat you with a pole. But like Fergie I've also mellowed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Most likely a lot of Man Utd fans are in bed still nursing vicious hangovers!!!!!
    Alcohol can make certain events more bearable:D

SAF has a lot to say, some good, some bad and some just plain cracked!!!
    Personally, I find him good for a laugh:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Every manager highlights a ref's decision that may have cost his team, it happens open and down the country and across the continent.

Fergie wasnt the first and wont be the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Managers post match rants are part of their job, they are contracted to give post match interviews and can not avoid them, (in most instances).

So if the interviewer leads the interview in a particular direction whats the manager to do??

If you dont like the Rant would you prefer the Wenger "I didn't see it"

Or the Raffa I'd don't comment on refs, you saw it what do you think its plain to see we were robbed attitude?

Maybe you poll should be would you prefer
    a. no post match interviews
    b. managers to give their honest opinions (accepting they will bias) post match
    c. managers to claim they didnt see anything that is remotely controversial
    d. or should the interviewers be sanctioned for incitement???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It is one thing to criticise a referee for one bad decision in a game that unduly affected the outcome against you but to do it when you so often receive decisions in your favour is disingenuous. He has always been that way but because of who he is people turn a blind eye to it.

whatnext wrote: »

Maybe you poll should be would you prefer
    a. no post match interviews
    b. managers to give their honest opinions (accepting they will bias) post match
    c. managers to claim they didnt see anything that is remotely controversial
    d. or should the interviewers be sanctioned for incitement???

Or e. Fergie could take a deep breath and count to ten for once before commenting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

According to Fergie most of the time when Utd. lose it is not the players fault but the officials. How he gets away with his comments i'll never know but its blatantly obvious the FA responds to Fergie differently than other managers - they are afraid of him. He seems to be able to slate officials with no consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fergie is simply a bad looser, which is why he has done so well and is the "king" of the game having been in situ for so long. Undue deference is paid to him by the FA and the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Are fergies Ref continuous rants justified

What the hell does that mean?

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Are fergies Ref continuous rants justified

What the hell does that mean?
    It means he has been making them on a continuous level this season.
    As clip below shows, totally one sided look at last nights game. in two consecutive games now, United have conceded poor goals down their right hand side and yet Fergie says his team were brilliant. A bit of balance wouldn't go astry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8605786.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What's next are Wenger's continuous explanation "I didn't see that incident" gone a bit too far?

Ridiculous thread.

Not surprised OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

mike65 wrote: »
    Fergie is simply a bad looser, which is why he has done so well and is the "king" of the game having been in situ for so long. Undue deference is paid to him by the FA and the League.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.

Fergie has always been winning things. Losing isn't something he gets used to. Yeah sometimes the comments about the ref are unfair. But other times hes right. Wheres the 50 50 option on the poll? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

joke of a thread:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Osu wrote: »
    What's next are Wenger's continuous explanation "I didn't see that incident" gone a bit too far?

You can Rafa Benitez to that.
    Osu wrote: »
    Ridiculous thread.

Not surprised OP...

Agree.

Manutd lose and every ABU starts jumping on the bandwagon.

joke of a thread:confused:
    Not at all. Fergie is continually coming out with statements calling into question Referees fitness and just generally giving one sided view points of games. Again watch that clip from above. Totally one sided account of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Does Ferguson overstep the mark sometimes? yes
    Do all managers overstep the mark sometimes? yes

Do managers to this when results haven't being going their teams way? yes

This thread will achieve nothing other than have posters flame and bait each other, similarly the poll will be split between United / Non-United fans. In short there's no need or purpose served with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement