Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace sugar in tea with?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:43am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I drink a lot of tea every day, probably 5 cups on average maybe more. The thing is a take quite a lot of sugar in my tea - 2 heaped teaspoons in each cup. I've tried but there is no way I can drink tea without sugar. I'm just conscious that all this sugar is not good for me. My dentist told me its really not good for my teeth, and too much sugar is not good for you anyway.

Is there anything I can replace this with like an artificial sweetener etc - that is not as bad for you, but still takes something like sugar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Just try it without for a week, you wont miss it by then

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I actually did it for a whole month when I had to give up wheat yeast and sugar cause of stomach problems. I hated it, just could not get the same pleasure out of tea :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

yeah hermocites or canderel or splenda but i am in the same situation as you and my problem is the i don't thing any of them really taste right

a while a go a guy told me that if you use one spoon full of sugar and leave the spoon in the cup and keep stiring it as you drink it, it will get sweeter so i could cut down rather then cut it out but i am lazy and i like my unhealty sugar addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

cheeky answer ..... Brown Sauce (like in "Intermission" the movie)

serious answer...... Honey (its more expensive - but still gives you a sweet taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I used to be a 2 tsp per cup person too, but gradually over the course of 6 months or so started to reduce it. I'm down to about half a teaspoon now, and am calling that it .. I can't quite get down to zero I'm afraid. Going 'cold turkey' probably isn't the best idea.

Now, even if I double dose (i.e. 1 tsp) by mistake, it tastes awfully sweet, so I've no idea what 2 tsp would taste like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

there's the artificial sweeteners, but honey is probably the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Honey.

Xylitol will mind your teeth, and tastes almost like sugar.
    It is to be found in healthfood shops.
    I buy a brand called perfect sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Canderel tablets are much nicer in tea than the powdery stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I know others have said it, but try and ween yourself off it.
    I used to be 2 1/2 to 3 spoons!!
    Gradually cut back, and don't take any now at all! Well, expect if it's a cuppa with a fry... then it needs one good spoon :)
    Besides, with anything over 1 spoon, you really can't taste the tea anyway. you may as well be drinking a warm sugar solution. the difference in tea taste (and water too!) really comes in once you take out the sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Xylitol will mind your teeth, and tastes almost like sugar.
    It is to be found in healthfood shops.
    I buy a brand called perfect sweet.
    i also use this
    it is perfect
    no stomach problems, no acid build up, it is about 3.50 in health food shops

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zascar wrote: »
    I actually did it for a whole month when I had to give up wheat yeast and sugar cause of stomach problems. I hated it, just could not get the same pleasure out of tea :(
    Maybe try reducing it slower, I used to take sugar in tea and coffee but do not now and still get the odd one made for me with it in it and it disgusts me. Honey is sweeter than sugar per kcal. I drink coffee with steamed milk, steaming milk makes it taste sweeter.

Advertisement