Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"If people don't call me, then I don't know..."*

• 08-04-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

I was cycling home from work yesterday and was passing Kielys pub in Donnybrook (Dublin) when a large Coach overtook me and then began to sandwich me between him and the curb. Ultimately I had no choice but to brake suddenly and then do my best to get out of the way before I ended up on the 6 o’clock news. Anyone who is familiar with this particular part of the road will know it’s an extremely tight corner and as a driver it can be a hard one to negotiate while staying in your lane.

For that reason I was even more surprised that the coach driver had decided to “Overtake” me at such a dangerous point in the road!

Anyway I found myself standing by the side of the road doing the usual “f******* a*******” routine when I realised the coach had a huge phone number printed across the back of it. Having read a particular thread here the previous day (can't find it now) I decided that if cyclists are going to actually take action to protect ourselves on the road I had no place moaning about “bad drivers” unless I did my bit. I got home and rang the coach company and ended up speaking (politely) to the company owner who was immediately apologetic and said that his own son cycled regularly so he was doubly sorry to hear what had happened. He said he would speak with all of his drivers to remind them to be careful of cyclists and to be especially aware of them when overtaking. As he said “I’m glad you rang because if people don’t call me I don’t know about these incidents”

I don’t expect anything huge to come of my call but I do think that chap will remind his drivers to be wary of cyclists and that’s the most important thing.

If you’re cut up by a taxi, shouted at by a van driver or experience dangerous driving on the roads, do your bit and get the details of the company (if you can see a name you can Google the details). It’s just one phone call to remind them that we share the same roads and all want to get home safely, after all no company wants an accident on their hands and people are more likely to listen to their boss then a ranting lycra clad commuter:rolleyes:

That’s my 2 cents,

Safe cycling!:pac:

IE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Great stuff..... Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

After being cut up by a bus, my mate rang up the bus company to complain about the driver. The driver himself answered the phone and in fairness to him was apologetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well done, that corner is indeed lethal and cars/taxis/buses cut it. I have been lucky in that all the drivers I have come across have let me go first, sorry to hear you weren't so lucky.

On the plus side, I said this a while ago about my own parent's driving, but it seems that with more and more people cycling, more regular folk know someone who cycles and I think this "humanisation" or whatever you want to call it of the random cyclists you see on the road is making people more aware and take fewer risks.

Of course there are still a few who will do stupid things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Well done

I rang Kavanagh's once to comment on one of their drivers (basically up my arse all the way down the North Quays) and got an earful along the lines that cyclists shouldn't be on the Quays!!

I also rang Aircoach once having been pinned by one of their drivers - they said they'd look into it and get back but never did.

Finally, a positive one - emailed Matthews Coaches when one of their drivers stopped and asked if I was ok following a fall - he offered to take me and the bike home!! Thankfully, only my ego was bruised! Nice of him to stop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funkyd

there does seem to be a campaign to increase awareness. i got my motor tax renewal form yesterday, enclosed were a couple of flyers on how cars share the road with cyclists and showing them respect. A step in the right direction..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Got that flyer with the motor tax renewal too and though it was a great way to target motorists about increasing awareness. Well done them.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Horrible corner, I always get out in the middle of the road well before it so everyone sees me. Keep your speed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

hope that flyer is sent to more than general motorists as I find these most courteous at times. Never had a problem with buses as such. Trucks are scarey and having lost someone close years ago the danger is all too real for me

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as noted that corner is farcical, they have it as a 2 lane road but both lanes are awkward, even in the car it's dodgy, people on the inside always drift well into the outside lane and the outside people drift in. Have seen a few crashes on it over the years, including one where a car was pushed into the oncoming traffic on other side of the road.

Like the above, when on the bike I take up the whole inside lane at that corner, but a bus will have to cut you off totally if they try over take you there. As the angle is impossible for a long vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

gamgsam wrote: »
    Horrible corner, I always get out in the middle of the road well before it so everyone sees me. Keep your speed up!

+1

The only safe way around that bend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement