Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Limerick

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:09am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved to Dooradoyle in the past few weeks and so far so good. The stickies were a great help when I was doing my groundwork before the move, as I'm from up the North-Wesht and prior to March 1st I'd never spent more than 4 hours in the city!
    Apologies if I'm doubling up on stuff that's been asked before but I'm as lazy as sin (let's just call a spade a spade here) and can't be arsed trawling through page after page to find out what I want to know. As I said, the stickies have helped, but I just have a few questions and I hope you all can help me out.

First of all- I'd like to know if there's an internet cafe in the Dooradoyle/Raheen area? If not, can anyone recommend one in town? I went in a few weeks ago and after traipsing around from one that was closed, to one which had no working printers finally landed to one a little bit off the main streets which was loud and cramped (I'm not up to speed on street names just yet.. getting there though but if you can give landmarks/shops in proximity it'd be brill. Don't ask much, do I?). It's just occasional printing that I'd need.

Next on my agenda- buses. I've looked at the Limerick city routes on the Bus Eireann site and they only give times, as opposed to stops. I assume the Raheen bus would be the one I'd get in to town, but where from!?

Thirdly- car washes. Can anyone recommend a good serviced car wash, ie not automated/machiney job. I don't mind paying a euro or two extra for a really good wash, where they do the alloys, etc.

I think that's all for now, I'm sure other niggly little things will pop into my head as time goes on but these are the ones I really need to know.

Many thanks in advance,

AC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Car wash. A good handwash would be the Texaco on Mulgrave Street. Always a queue.

Internet Cafe's in Raheen and Dooradoyle. I cannot think of any because I have a laptop.

On the bus, where in Dooradoyle / Raheen are you?

On the main coming into town it stops across from the Raheen Church, further down the road by the traffic lights, across from the hospital, outside the Dry Cleaners further along between The Unicorn pub and the Crescent S/C, at the Crescent Shopping Centre and then onwards into the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Raheen bus goes about every 10 mins, bus stop outside regional + crescent to town,
    From town outside brown thomas. (think its 304 but it does say raheen on front)
    Internet cafe don't know about raheen but lots in town, moviedrome upper henry street. (ask anyone for directions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

op a helpful tip on getting busses in Limerick, if you want to get a bus to anywhere on the north side then howleys quay is where you would go

http://www.aja.ie/projects/spaightslimerick1.jpg

if its the raheen/dooradoyle area then brown thomas is the place to go

dsc00693y.jpg

if you want to go to the castletroy/southill/linwood area then william st is where u go

78361149.18xjJFlR.jpg

here is a link to a map of the bus routes and stops in the city

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Fair ball to ye lads, that's a great help. Much appreciated!

May just have to bake ye a cake for yer efforts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Can anyone recommend a good serviced car wash, ie not automated/machiney job. I don't mind paying a euro or two extra for a really good wash, where they do the alloys, etc.
    From Raheen roundabout, drive down to the first roundabout after the school and take a left out through Mungret village and on out the road to Clarina (about 3 miles). Petrol station on the left after the crossroads has the cheapest petrol/diesel this side of town and two big lads will give you an excellent car wash for €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Fair ball to ye lads, that's a great help. Much appreciated!

May just have to bake ye a cake for yer efforts :P

In that case, I'll help out with the net cafe ;) :pac:

Theres several cheap options in town which it sounds like you stumbled on, but they're very very basic, and sometimes painfully slow.

Moviedrome on upper Henry st http://www.moviedrome.ie/contact.htm is a fantastically comfortable net cafe. It also has dvd rental, and refreshments on hand. very friendly staff who'll throw you a discount once you're a regular, locally owned and run, and is about halfway between town and home for you. Its stays open til 10 or 11 also, and has plenty of quality printers.

I sound like a shill, but for comfort, there's nowhere like it, love it. map in the link above.

Dave, thanks for that heads up, it's exactly what I had in mind. I joined the Library in Dooradoyle today, and did my first bus trip, very productive day!

Peckerhead I went out to Clarina after my little excursion in to town and now my car is sitting outside the door full of diesel and sparkling like a gem. They're some pair of lads, worth every penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

zuroph wrote: »

Moviedrome on upper Henry st http://www.moviedrome.ie/contact.htm is a fantastically comfortable net cafe. It also has dvd rental, and refreshments on hand. very friendly staff who'll throw you a discount once you're a regular, locally owned and run, and is about halfway between town and home for you. Its stays open til 10 or 11 also, and has plenty of quality printers.

Moviedrome gets my vote too - definitely the most comfy and most friendly internet cafe in town. Never too crowded, either. :)

There is a Chinese-owned internet cafe on Thomas Street too (up past Bella Italia) and it's cheap - think its a euro an hour - but it's not as nice as Moviedrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

peckerhead wrote: »
    From Raheen roundabout, drive down to the first roundabout after the school and take a left out through Mungret village and on out the road to Clarina (about 3 miles). Petrol station on the left after the crossroads has the cheapest petrol/diesel this side of town and two big lads will give you an excellent car wash for €8.

Any idea what kind of hours the Car Wash Folks keep?

• Advertisement

Yeah that Chinese one was one of the ones I stumbled across alright, but the printers weren't working, then I ended up in one on Roches St. (get me, knowing street names.. at last!)

I think the car wash in Clarina seem to operate along the same hours as the petrol station and that's open 'til about 8pm (I think). Well worth the spin, caught a gawk of myself in a shop window in slow moving traffic and had to say the car scrubs up mighty well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Best car wash in town has to be the one one the dock road beside where the old Texaco was. You cant miss it is the only car wash on the left hand side of the dock road heading into town.

They operate a soft cloth system but the guy gives the car a power wash before you enter the soft cloth and they also pay special attention to the alloys.
    Its €8 and he will throw in a bottle of windscreen wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The library at the Crescent Shopping Centre has internet access/printers etc. It's free to join but obviously are not open in the evenings.

The buses are scheduled to go from Town/Raheen every 10 minutes from Monday to Saturday until 6 o clock I think. Not 100%. After 6 and on Sundays they are scheduled for every 20 minutes.

It depends which part of Dooradoyle you are located. If you are living past Garryowen Rugby Club/ Crescent College and don't feel walking as far as the bus stop at the Crescent Shopping Centre there is the Ballycumin bus which arrives every 30 minutes. Not 100% on that because I never take it.

Probably wasn't very helpful, but I tried :o Welcome to Limerick by the way.

Magma- thank you for your welcome. I must say I really like your city and the people so far have been so welcoming (in comparison to some other places I've been).

Where is the stop for the Ballycummin bus? I'm in Kilteragh so it's probably an equal distance to either stop, but always nice to know your options, I think.

I joined that library at the Cresent, exactly what I needed. I have broadband so interweb isn't the issue- it's my faulty printer that's giving me headaches, so now at least I can run in there if I'm stuck during work hours (I often work from home).

LimerickCity thank you for the advice re: soft cloth, I had written it off as just another machine wash but I'll certainly give it a chance now on the back of your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Magma- thank you for your welcome. I must say I really like your city and the people so far have been so welcoming (in comparison to some other places I've been).

Where is the stop for the Ballycummin bus? I'm in Kilteragh so it's probably an equal distance to either stop, but always nice to know your options, I think.

I joined that library at the Cresent, exactly what I needed. I have broadband so interweb isn't the issue- it's my faulty printer that's giving me headaches, so now at least I can run in there if I'm stuck during work hours (I often work from home).

LimerickCity thank you for the advice re: soft cloth, I had written it off as just another machine wash but I'll certainly give it a chance now on the back of your recommendation.

Since you are in Kilteragh, it is quicker to stroll down to the bus stop across from the shopping centre.

Welcome to Dooradoyle. You may not have been informed about this yet, but I am the King of Dooradoyle :D, and as such, I demand six carrots, four turnips, and a dairy milk in tributes each month.

You will find that there are quite a few of us in this forum living in Dooradoyle or close to it. Generally it is the nicer posters that live in Dooradoyle;), but something went wrong along the line and Raiser managed to sneak into Dooradoyle. But fear not, plans are afoot to have him removed and rehoused somewhere more suitable, like Tipperary Town or Tullamore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Kess73 wrote: »
    like Tipperary Town or Tullamore :D

Tullamore would never have him,

Tullamore would never have him,

Ah they might. If Offaly can produce a specimen like Brian Cowen, then Raiser should be fine there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ah they might. If Offaly can produce a specimen like Brian Cowen, then Raiser should be fine there. :D

Well,as a Tullamore native living in Limerick we wouldn't.And Mr Cowen is from Clara,which is a whole other story tbh. :p

Well,as a Tullamore native living in Limerick we wouldn't.And Mr Cowen is from Clara,which is a whole other story tbh. :p

Fine we will inflict him upon ship him to Clara instead. :)

Kess, if you're willing to wait, my dad grows turnips and carrots but they're not ready yet. I assure you though that they are soooo worth waiting for (and I don't even usually like veg). When they're ready I'll back-date you what you're due :P

Still on the topic of buses, I notice small stops outside the Garryowen Rugby Club and directly opposite the County Council/Library, but I never see people waiting at them and there doesn't appear to be a timetable attached to the stop. Is it a redundant route or just an infrequent one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Those stops are for the Ballycummin route afaik

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055860652

Inspired by this thread, I wanna say something- I'm gonna put it out there; If you like it, you can take it. If you don't, send it right back

Name: Caroline

Story: Moved here from "de Nort-Wesht". Don't really know anyone here. Most my friends at home have kids so not easy for them to drop all and come visit and it takes between 3 and 4 hours to get home so won't be going back every week. Work on the road, on my own for the most part. Have been very lucky to settle in quickly and get on well with housemates but would like to widen the oul social circle just a bit.

Interests: Gigs (Dolans seem to have great bands in but have been too shy to go alone this far) and music in general, walking, cooking/baking, sport, reading, motors, films etc etc

If anyone is looking for a walking or gigging partner please do give me a buzz :D

Advertisement