Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper: Ghost Warrior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

Looks interesting alright, I hadn't heard anything about it until I read your post but I read the hands-on that IGN did and it sounds very interesting, especially when you consider it will be a "value release".

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Could go either way. If it has lots of stealth gameplay, I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah it sort of came out of nowhere this game. But it looks very good, pretty gfx, and if it gets the gameplay right, could be a winner.

Stealthy ala Deus Ex would be great :)

I wonder what graphics engine its built on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks way too good to be a 'value' shooter. I'm guessing they licensed the crysis engine and didn't build the engine themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks way too good to be a 'value' shooter. I'm guessing they licensed the crysis engine and didn't build the engine themselves.

Looks like that, looks good

• Advertisement

Oh I seriously doubt they built it, they seem to be a small enough developer.

But releasing a game licensed on CryEngine 2 as 'value' doesn;t seem to make much sense, I'm pretty sure licensing a high end engine like CryEngine 2 would cost a few million $$$.

Though, I suppose you never know..

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It did look an awful like cryengine alright.

Must be Cryengine 3, trailer has Xbox360 logo at the end. Watch it get consolitis like all the others

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But releasing a game licensed on CryEngine 2 as 'value' doesn;t seem to make much sense, I'm pretty sure licensing a high end engine like CryEngine 2 would cost a few million $$$.

You would be surprised how little engine licensing costs compared to the budgets of a lot of games. Cryengine is probably even less expensive than the unreal 3 engine and I'd say that they can knock a lot off the price by paying royalties.

You would be surprised how little engine licensing costs compared to the budgets of a lot of games. Cryengine is probably even less expensive than the unreal 3 engine and I'd say that they can knock a lot off the price by paying royalties.

This inter web thingy is great!
    the game is built with the Chrome Engine, the same one that Call of Juarez ran on
    http://www.destructoid.com/strictly-come-sniping-in-sniper-ghost-warrior-168600.phtml

Some nice screens there too...

More specifically, Chrome Engine 4
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_Engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

other Sniper games arent bad considering they around 15 quid.

They have their moments altho let down by the non sniping bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Though, I suppose you never know..
    Well look at Merchants of Brooklyn / Drug Wars, that used CryEngine 2 and it's available on Steam for the princely sum of £3.99. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Well look at Merchants of Brooklyn / Drug Wars, that used CryEngine 2 and it's available on Steam for the princely sum of £3.99. :)

Oh yeah that looks like a real money spinner....

Drug Wars = Game Dev Fail. They inadvertantly released an Alpha build for sale at first, and frantically tried to patch it.

This is a prime example of licensing a big game engine (for probably a very high cost) and failing miserably.

There's nothing I've seen in screens that could not have been done in the Doom 3 (iD tech 4 iirc) engine - which is planned for a GNU license this year - so free for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Multiplayer vid.
    This looks promising. Could be really tense with games lasting hours.

skelliser wrote: »
    Multiplayer vid.

Hmm. I dunno. That video has dropped the game in my estimation now.

Doesn't look any different to any other crappy shooter, apart from they all have sniper rifles.

Looks very arcade / consoley :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

In fairness to them they had to jazz up the vid or else it would have been pretty boring.
    I hope the real game is different with massive maps and plenty of hiding places etc.
    At the end you see what i hope the real game will be like.

I live in hope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh great, now i can get camped by 16 players rather then the 5-6 in most modern shooters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

The video looked like sniper only cod, with multiple stage zoom. It even had grenade indicators. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Looks awful, COD with only Sniper rifles..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

CoD isn't the only FPS out there to be placed in a modern setting guys. Not every future FPS you'll see is a carbon-copy of CoD. It's not even out yet. I'm actually looking forward to this. From the game's description on the website the physics such as bullet drop and different weather affecting your shots to training yourself to breathe correctly, it sounds like it's going to be one hell of a sniper simulator. It actually contains elements of realism when it comes to sniping, something which CoD seriously lacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Kiith wrote: »
    Oh great, now i can get camped by 16 players rather then the 5-6 in most modern shooters.
    that MP trailer looks like my idea of Multiplayer FPS hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I'm looking forward to this. Is it on PS3 does anyone know?

I loved Sniper Elite which incidently is being re-released on Wii. I hope this is somewhere along the lines of Sniper Elite. Realistic physics, lots of stealthy waiting around to line up a shot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

skelliser wrote: »
    Multiplayer vid.

It looks absouletly awful as a multiplayer.

Too many snipers ruins a lot of FPS, so this won't be for me.

2nd..WHAT...is the point of the compass that gives away the enemy position before you see them ? You don't even have to look for them...just line the RED DOT up with the top of your compass = direction of enemy
    ...look at it in the trailer...its ridiculous

The perfect example is 8 seconds in. You can see the Red Dot of the enemy... you see it rotate around in relation to the characters direction..till eventually he's looking in that direction..and kills him. So you see him at 8secs, kill is @ 26secs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It looks absouletly awful as a multiplayer.

Too many snipers ruins a lot of FPS, so this won't be for me.

2nd..WHAT...is the point of the compass that gives away the enemy position before you see them ? You don't even have to look for them...just line the RED DOT up with the top of your compass = direction of enemy
    ...look at it in the trailer...its ridiculous

The perfect example is 8 seconds in. You can see the Red Dot of the enemy... you see it rotate around in relation to the characters direction..till eventually he's looking in that direction..and kills him. So you see him at 8secs, kill is @ 26secs

Didnt notice that..thats ****...although for some they might enough it..maybe it could have a knock on effect and make BF 2 more enjoyable..less snipers and all that lol

No bullet drop either, lots of snipers playing multiplayer in Arma 2 works because of just this, no guarantee You're going to hit the target even if You get the shot spot on. You gotta learn how to judge the distance and how to use the scope before You start to get kills. The Ace 2 mod even added wind deflection, You gotta adjust to allow for the wind, even gave You a meter to measure it. This just looks far too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Looks nice, are we to assume there'll be no PC release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

City Interative games are incredibly poor. They all look pretty decent, but aspects crucial to any game - atmosphere, gameplay, direction, style - are all completely, utterly flat. Other games include Code of Honor, Terrorist Takedown, Sniper: Road to Victory, Mortyr III and similarly named titles. I've played most of their games. The graphics are good in all of them - they always license engines, a good few of their games use the Lithtech Jupiter Engine (F.E.A.R). But they all feel identical, like the same game with new skins. Which works better for some games than others, a few of them are playable but unbelievably repetitive, but their Call of Duty clones are horrible, boring, lifeless, flat and devoid of any inspiration whatsoever.

Think Doom, with better graphics. Which isn't a whole lot in this day and age. I would really avoid this one, unless CI have really reinvented themselves....which I sincerely doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

SNIPER Ghost Warrior - gameplay / sniping / headshot gallery HD

Sniper: Ghost Warrior -OFFICAL TRAILER- (HD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paramount

Nice graphics...
    I think i want to play this game....

• Advertisement

Advertisement