Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to withdraw money from a lodged cheque before it clears?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I've heard that if you're lodging a cheque into your account in person and you bring your pass card to the desk you can then withdraw the money before the cheque clears - is this true?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

No.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It depends on your account, if you have been with the bank a while and your account operates well, they may allow you to withdraw cheques in advance of them clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bankguy

Its highly unlikely any bank official is going to breach company policy and cash an uncleared cheque - regardless of who its from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Unless you are very well known to the branch. They used to do this for very good customers back in the good days but them days are long gone so basically wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 charleymax

I've heard that if you're lodging a cheque into your account in person and you bring your pass card to the desk you can then withdraw the money before the cheque clears - is this true?

I can do this in my local branch of Bank of Ireland (well I could a few years back when on a couple of occasions I needed to)... But it's kinda up to the teller and they don't have to do this at all....

The occasions I did it it was a cheque from the revenue so the girl at the desk KNEW it would clear.... Personal cheques... I doubt any bank would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement