Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Chickens - HELP

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey All,
    I've just got two chickens and I have no idea where to start. I have a fairly big coup and run for them but after that i'm lost.
    I would really really appreciate any tips, hints or suggestions. The chickens are 22 weeks old and i've named them betty and stella.
    PLEASE HELP and post lots of suggestions.
    JD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Did you buy the coop and the chickens, or were they given to you?
    Just seems very odd that you would buy a coop and chickens, and then wonder how to look after them!

If someone gave them to you, can they give you advice on how to look after them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missdeise

I told my brother that i would like to get them some day. He thought it would be a good house warming present so no he's not good for advice either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

My dad has some chickens and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot of looking after in them! (He does all the looking after though so I'm just speaking from observation!!)
    You can pick up layers pellets in any co-op or farming supplies, it's pretty cheap you get a big 20kg bag for about 6 or 7euros! My dad sometimes gives them rolled barley mixed in with the pellets and any left over fruit, veg and porridge! The most important thing is they have plenty of water at all times, you would be suprised at how much water they drink!!
    Ours are sectioned off in one area of the garden but the fence is low enough so they just jump over it and wonder around the garden! Probably not the best idea because they poop everywhere, torment the dog and try to come into the house!! My dad keeps talking about putting up a higher fence... might be a good idea if you don't want them to be going everywhere!!!
    I think ours were about the same age as yours when we got them, we got 6 and 2 turned out to be cocks, we gave them back to the farmer and took 2 more hens instead but one word of warning, the hens can be as noisy as the cocks at times so keep them as far away from the house as possible unless your a morning person!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hey there,

Chickens/ Hens are SO easy to look after :-) and make great pets. We have our chickens about 6 months now and we have literally played it by ear. They are free range during the day and head into the coup at night around 7. Coup must be secure, adequate size, provide protection from foxes etc, must have roosting poles as they sleep up high and feel safe there and also- nest boxes.

We leave them to it during the day, they just scratch around the garden having a great time :rolleyes: while we're at work :rolleyes:
    We feed the chickens layers pellets every night, although if your chickens are young they might prefer layers mash... they also love all sorts of veggie / fruit scraps etc.

BTW.... one of my hens is called Betty too :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement