Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would this be considered as modified?

• 08-04-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I plan on fitting bigger brakes on my car (as the current ones are pretty hopeless) and I also need to get a new exhaust for it.

As I plan on someday convert my Ford Puma into a track/rally car, I'ld like to fit on a performance exhaust on it instead of the stock one. Probably the one from a Ford Racing Puma (not the catalyst, just the exhaust/back box thing), which I doubt will make any performance improvements for now (until I decide to change the manifold + catalytic converter, which won't be till I decide to fit a new tuned Ford 1.6 sigma or a Cosworth 2.0l Duratec engine in it).

I might also need to fit on some new wheels sometime and I'll probably be getting OZ racing alloys. The current ones are 15" wheels and the new ones I might get 16" or 17" instead.

So would these things be considered as modifications?
    Like would I need to tell the insurance about it and all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

So would these things be considered as modifications?
    Like would I need to tell the insurance about it and all?

Yes, there all modifications that should be declared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Would this make a big change to my insurance then?
    As these are just small modifications. I'm not like fitting a turbo or doing anything big to my engine like that.

I might need new suspension for it as well (as the current driver side shock is leaking slightly) and I was thinking of sticking a lowered suspension instead of the stock one...

If all of these things are gonna be have to declared and put my car down as modified, then I might leave it till laters. Can't afford insurance going up for now. Might just fix all the major rust issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Would this make a big change to my insurance then?
    As these are just small modifications. I'm not like fitting a turbo or doing anything big to my engine like that.

I might need new suspension for it as well (as the current driver side shock is leaking slightly) and I was thinking of sticking a lowered suspension instead of the stock one...

If all of these things are gonna be have to declared and put my car down as modified, then I might leave it till laters. Can't afford insurance going up for now.

Only one way to find out that
    Who are you insured with?Age,type of licence?

New upgraded alloys, shocks/suspension, brakes and exhaust shouldn't increase it too much, although it depends on the insurance company, I have heard insurance companies refusing to continue to cover cars that have been modified from companies that dont charge extra at all.

Are you 3rd party or fully comp?

draffodx wrote: »
    New upgraded alloys, shocks/suspension, brakes and exhaust shouldn't increase it too much, although it depends on the insurance company, I have heard insurance companies refusing to continue to cover cars that have been modified from companies that dont charge extra at all.

Are you 3rd party or fully comp?

Right now I'm 3rd party with Aviva on a provisional.
    But I've got my driving test in 2 weeks time. If I pass that, I'll move to 3rd party of full comp.

And I'm 22. Though this is my first car so I don't have no claims or anything...

Plan on getting a bike after about 2-3 years, so when I have the bike, I can use that to get around while I can work on the big stuff on the car.

If for now I just get Ford's 16" alloys (which was an option on the Puma) and leave it on stock suspension, would I still have to declare it?
    The only modification would be the Ford Racing Puma back box, but all that does for now is give a slightly different exhaust note.

Also the 1.4 came with 239mm brakes which Ford realised were useless and the later models came with 258mm discs. So would fitting the larger brakes make it a modified car?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Right now I'm 3rd party with Aviva on a provisional.
    But I've got my driving test in 2 weeks time. If I pass that, I'll move to 3rd party of full comp.

And I'm 22. Though this is my first car so I don't have no claims or anything...

Plan on getting a bike after about 2-3 years, so when I have the bike, I can use that to get around while I can work on the big stuff on the car.

If for now I just get Ford's 16" alloys (which was an option on the Puma) and leave it on stock suspension, would I still have to declare it?
    The only modification would be the Ford Racing Puma back box, but all that does for now is give a slightly different exhaust note.

Also the 1.4 came with 239mm brakes which Ford realised were useless and the later models came with 258mm discs. So would fitting the larger brakes make it a modified car?

Dont know about the brakes but I think the wheels will have to be declared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Make sure you ring before you carry out the work. Most will void your policy or charge a policy change premium.

=======
    www.celicaireland.com

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

No if it was an optional extra on your particular variant of the car from the factory then there's no need to declare it.

Yes they would make it modified as the brakes aren't an option for the year of your car, I'd imagine though if you rang up and explained you were fitting improved OEM brakes then an insurance company wouldn't kick up a fuss.

Same with the exhaust its an OEM one so an insurance company wouldn't pass to much remarks of it I'd imagine

Hmm... lets hope my insurance company buys into that!

Cheers for the advice anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

why don't you sell it, take the money you'd planned on putting into mods and buy a racing puma?

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    why don't you sell it, take the money you'd planned on putting into mods and buy a racing puma?

Actually... might do that instead.
    Yeah, good idea. So then I can work on making the racing puma into my track car... It should be less work to do as the racing puma is already kitted out pretty well.
    Though I'll see how things pan out.
    For now I might not do much to what I have and leave it stock.

as the current driver side shock is leaking slightly..............

................. Might just fix all the major rust issues.

I'd look after both of those issues before enhancing her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

draffodx wrote: »
    Yes they would make it modified as the brakes aren't an option for the year of your car, I'd imagine though if you rang up and explained you were fitting improved OEM brakes then an insurance company wouldn't kick up a fuss.

Same with the exhaust its an OEM one so an insurance company wouldn't pass to much remarks of it I'd imagine

I would be surprised in you got to talk to someone in the insurance company who understands what you are talking about. The person in the call centre or at the desk in the branch are generally not versed in such things. I'd say you would have to persist in order to get our story heard, I am open to cirrection on this.
    I just knwo someone who is working in insurance for 14 years in different parts of the business & at different levels & I know she would not be able to answer your question.

Just something to think about when you do go inquiring, it is easy for someone on the front line t say "they are modifications, we will not cover any modifications".

I would be surprised in you got to talk to someone in the insurance company who understands what you are talking about. The person in the call centre or at the desk in the branch are generally not versed in such things. I'd say you would have to persist in order to get our story heard, I am open to cirrection on this.
    I just knwo someone who is working in insurance for 14 years in different parts of the business & at different levels & I know she would not be able to answer your question.

Just something to think about when you do go inquiring, it is easy for someone on the front line t say "they are modifications, we will not cover any modifications".

This is unfortunately true, I tend to go in myself in person if possible and if I dont get anywhere with the person at the desk ask for a supervisor

Advertisement