Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Animals in my life! Work?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im currently doing a course in the hopes of becoming an occupational therapist at the end of it all, and while it would be an interesting job.. I know in my heart it's not what I want to do. My passion is animals, I love them and would love to work with them.

However, everyone who hears this says Im mad, there's no money in animals and to stick with the course Im doing. I know they are right, in alot of things to do with animals, the pay is quite low.. and although I don't want to have to factor that in, unfortunately it would be something I'd have to consider.

I'd love to help animals, I do a bit of volunteering when I can,but would love to do it as a proper job (wishful thinking I know :o)

Im wondering what does everyone on here think? Do you work with animals? What jobs are available out there?

Also I've thought about vet nursing but I've heard alot of people saying its not a good job to get into.

Any help or info would be great! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

if, sorry, when i win the lottery i'm opening up a dog's home to take in all the unwanted wafes and strays, with the aim of re-homing as many as i can - i would love to work with dogs, be the irish answer to the dog whisperer, but in the mean time i have to work as an analyst to feed my four :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm studying vet nursing. I know the pay isn't meant to be good but it seems to be a really great job (I think so anyway!) if you work in a nice practise.

There's also breeding if you're interested in that, but not much money in it on a small scale.

Or boarding kennels/cattery, that would cost alot to set up but you'd make alot of money back.

There's also grooming, if you run your own grooming business, it'd be pretty good money.

I want to do a mixture of all these things! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Haha Paul that's what I always say, if I win the lotto that's the first thing Im doing! But obviously it isn't realistic unless I do win :(

I just feel really unhappy with what Im doing, I've no real interest in it at all, I'm just doing it as a means to an end I guess, to get a job, bring in some money, keep the parents happy.

Morgana where did you do your training? How long is the course? I do like the thoughts of working as one, but I've found some vet practises to be horrible, and prefer small places which don't usually have nurses.

I definitely would not be interested in breeding. I'm really quite against it and hate hearing of people paying big money when there are so many animals looking for homes already.

Seems more and more unlikely that i'll ever get to properly work with animals :(

Advertisement