Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a soccer club I could join

• 08-04-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Im 21, not a great soccer player to be honest, but i do think i have the head for it and would like to try it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

try www.floodlitsoccer.com, that would be a better bet for you rather than joining a junior league team. try and get in touch with kevin the guy that runs it,theres always teams lookin for players. any type of ability.

youre guaranteed a game once a week,no training either etc.see how ya get on in that then try and join one of the local junior league clubs,itll give you an idea of your ability as the junior league standard would be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I wouldn't mind joining a team in that league either. Maybe we should start a Waterford Boards team! Any others interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That would be class but I'd imagine it's very hard to organise and keep people interested.

I would get involved but my fitness and skill would be on par with a toddler.

ziedth wrote: »
    That would be class but I'd imagine it's very hard to organise and keep people interested.

I would get involved but my fitness and skill would be on par with a toddler.

That's no problem. I'll be the team's Messi. Just pass me the ball and we'll win 4-0 everytime!

Edit: This is a must see! If alone for the thick Waterford accents of the sideline "managers"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Mick, we play floodlit soccer ,we have a team in division 2 were mid table at the moment but theres only 2 games left in the current season. I think the summer tournament starts in May. Its a great craic too.

We are always looking for players, were a mixed bunch from all over the place, Waterford,Kilkenny, Poland, Turkey, Slovakia even.

We dont take it too serious but do train on a 5 a side pitch once a week to keep fitness up.

Drop me a pm if your interested.

Ian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

yeah ian id love to join up with ye thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I wouldn't mind joining a team in that league either. Maybe we should start a Waterford Boards team! Any others interested?

Yeah I've always wanted to give this a go too in fairness. Would have to get the fitness up a fair bit but sure what harm.

how many players are needed for these teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

It's 11 a side. Standard of some teams would be pretty good. It's 30 mins a side so fitness is not as big an issue as it would be in junior league.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I've always wanted to give this a go too in fairness. Would have to get the fitness up a fair bit but sure what harm.

I've played in the old Nightowls league and fitness isn't the most important thing to be honest. It's only a 60min match and with a decent squad you can be subbed off. In fact I think the top scorer in the second division this year is in my triathlon club. He wouldn't be the fittest or the youngest (I must add he's far from unfit and not too old either!).

A good footballing brain goes a long way on astroturf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

World Class Goal Keeper here if im needed for the Boards team!! :cool::D

good footballing brain eh?? that'll suit me so.

How many people would actually be interested in setting up a brand new team actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Yep, you can stick me down for sure! Only another 14 people to go then I guess :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Count me in...

I'll be pulling defensive moves not seen since Gary Mabbutt! :pac:

Seem's there's a bit of interest in a boards team. This year's season has two games left. But there is a summer competition starting in May and the next season in September.

If there really is enough interest I'd love to get a boards team going. We'd need somebody who would be available every week to be the manager as a different team could line up every week depending on availabilty (shift work, etc.).

The squad would need to be fairly sizable to cover absenses so I'd say we'd need at least 16 people. A few more would help too. I'm trying to find out the rules of the game but I don't think there is a substituion limit. That way anyone who turns up can get a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭whos who

good footballing brain eh?? that'll suit me so.

How many people would actually be interested in setting up a brand new team actually?

Not a big poster but following thread...........you can count me in too....:)

I have made a thread for this proposed boards team so those who are interested
    post your interest and position you can play,especially if you're a keeper.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65331176#post65331176

Advertisement