Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie

Options
  • 08-04-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hey guys, i am currently doing a thesis on companys ad campaigns, i chose yorkie bars and thier long running campaign "Not For Girls"..
    I was just wondering what people of both sexs feel on subject, do they care? and could an ad campaign put you off eating a bar?
    any help would be a great help cheers in advance!

C biggrin.gif
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Yokies ad campaign! sexist?? 5 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The only thing that puts me off a Yorkie is the taste....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I always think the ads are generally humorous, doesn't bother me that it's 'not for girls' :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1 on not liking the taste, big chunks of YUK tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Male, 27 here.

When the ads first came out, I honestly couldn't believe that the regulator had approved them; and I was awaiting a backlash from anti-sexist groups and/or the media. However, since none of that actually ever materialised, I gradually accepted the ad. I still don't like it, but it's not as if it makes me angry anymore.

Kevin

PS - Yorkie's taste delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olI5xzshtFQ

The best yorkie advert ever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

defo not in my opinion....

are we that sensitive that we get angry when a choc bar ad jokingly implies there not for girls!!!!!!

FFS next we'll be saying i feel discriminated against cause there's no men in the tampax ad!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TBH, if somebody told me they thought the yorkie ads were sexist, or that hey were inappropriate. i'd seriously question their ability for separate the real world from a marketing joke.
    If a girl decided not to buy a yorkie only because of the not for girls, then i'd question her intelligence.
    FTR, I don't like them either

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olI5xzshtFQ

The best yorkie advert ever :D

One of the best ads I have seen in years!

Mellor wrote: »
    TBH, if somebody told me they thought the yorkie ads were sexist, or that hey were inappropriate. i'd seriously question their ability for separate the real world from a marketing joke.
    If a girl decided not to buy a yorkie only because of the not for girls, then i'd question her intelligence.
    FTR, I don't like them either
    What if someone made light humour of an issue you care deeply about? I think that you'd be offended quite easily. The same principle applies here - i.e. some people deeply care about sexism and therefore that advertisement could offend them.

I know that I am right in what I am saying here. Thus, no further response you give to my post will be accepted as logical by me. Why? - Because the only logic is what I've just written 3-5 lines up :P

Kevin

Kevster wrote: »
    What if someone made light humour of an issue you care deeply about? I think that you'd be offended quite easily. The same principle applies here - i.e. some people deeply care about sexism and therefore that advertisement could offend them.

I know that I am right in what I am saying here. Thus, no further response you give to my post will be accepted as logical by me. Why? - Because the only logic is what I've just written 3-5 lines up :P

Kevin
    If somebody cared deeply about sexism, and they got offended by the above. Then all I'd say to them is congratulations, job done. As, If that's the sparks you off then there must be no sexism left in the world.
    Then I'd hand them a dictionary and tell them to look up sexism.

No further reply no you is going to be accepted as logical from me until I get get you a copy of a dictionary and look up sexism also - :p

• Advertisement

Well, either way, life's too short to get worked-up by things like this. I don't think that handing a sexist a dictionary - open on the page where 'sexist' is - would work though. Such peoples' minds are so clouded that even when the truth stares them straight in the eye they'd deny it.

Kevin

Kevster wrote: »
    Well, either way, life's too short to get worked-up by things like this. I don't think that handing a sexist a dictionary - open on the page where 'sexist' is - would work though. Such peoples' minds are so clouded that even when the truth stares them straight in the eye they'd deny it.

Kevin
    Reading comprehension is a dying ability apparently.
    I said I'd give it to a person who thought the ad was sexist and was offended, not to a sexist (which would be pointless).
    Clouded indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't think it's being sexist it's just a wind up really.
    Anyway just to spite them I buy them, although don't really like them lol not the plain one. Gonna take more than a little pic and a not for girls sign to keep me away from chocolate.

I wouldn't be surprised if they researched it and found that they sell mostly to a male market.

Came up with the not for girls slogan,

Presto, they now have females buying them. Well done yorkie,
    and lol at to spite them

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Anyway just to spite them I buy them

Marketing works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

It's just an ad for goodness sakes, nothing to take offense over. God knows there are enough 'girly' chocolates marketed at women so it's only fair that the guys get to have one marketed towards them. I love Yorkie by the way and remember as a little girl getting the Yorkie truck Easter egg that I asked for :pac:

Advertisement