Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Accommodation

Options
  • 08-04-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi everyone :). I recently applied for 4 courses in IADT (VAP, animation, photography and 3D/Digital effects). I pretty much have my heart set on Dun Laoghaire and have done for the last couple of years. I was wondering when is the best time to put a deposit down on accommodation and where is best? I know the scores don't come out for a while but I got a good score for Crawford (515 portfolio + 400 LC) so I'm hoping I should get enough for my IADT courses and I want to be prepared.
    I did a PLC this year but chose not to move away from home so this is a big step for me. What are your experiences of student living in Dun Laoghaire?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bluebell2

Hi , I am also looking for accommodation for september, I also did a PLC course last year. I have a place in the model making course for september at iadt, I deferred my place from last year. I have been looking for houses and I am interested in finding students for house share:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

I'm waiting to get my score for my portfolio too, I applied for the Photography course. Depending on how i score i could also be looking for somewhere to share too :o Maybe once the scores come out we should all get in touch!

Yeah that would be good, last year I got my portfolio results around the 15th may. At the moment I have been looking at houses for rent walking distance from the college on some websites and rang up estate agents and they said that houses for students would normally be advertised around June and July. So once you get your scores we should get in touch and good luck to everyone waiting for their portfolio results. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

Thats a great idea! I'd definitely be interested in getting a house. Lets hope we all get enough points now, good luck! :-)

A house-share would be ideal :D

I hope to hell I get better points for here than I did for DIT :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I went to IADT a few years ago and it definitely is best to start looking early as often there weren't that many affordable places around as it's quite an expensive area.Some my friends used to end up living in town or other suburbs and DL can be a bit of a pain to get to especially in the mornings! There are some student flats but numbers are really limited and IMO after living there for a year it wasn't great at all.When i was there you could ask the college to send out a list of accomodation in the area which had the contact details for the flats.Ballintle Court is the name.

Hi, thanks for the info on accommodation, just wondered did you stay at Ballintle Court if so, what did you think of it, how far from the college is it and how is it priced.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

bluebell2 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the info on accommodation, just wondered did you stay at Ballintle Court if so, what did you think of it, how far from the college is it and how is it priced.:)

I stayed there for a year and it was a while ago so prices might have changed.It was about € 100 a week for a twin room.TBH it's not a great place: small,cramped & expensive for what it is but I thougt it was fine at the time.The fact that only IADT students can stay there is an advantage though.It's less than a ten minute walk to the college.

Thanks, the place sounds expensive for a twin room from when you went, by now the prices might of gone up, i think I will keep looking for a house for rent, they might be a bit cheaper and more spacious:)

So how did you do? :-)

• Advertisement

how did everyone do? Did you get the points you all needed? Still looking for accommodation and is anyone still interested in house sharing this year.

I got the points I needed, definitely still interested :-)

Thats great :), so what course are you going to do?

I don't know, I'm pretty sure I got enough for modelmaking, animation and VAP... i havent decided which i want to do, maybe animation... but i suppose i have til july for change of mind :-)

Well congrats on your results, im still looking for accommodation but I think it is still a bit earlier to look.

Hey all, Glad to hear yous did well!

I got more points than the requirement for last year, tho i also think its a bit early for househunting yet..

Im definitely interested in a house share if anyone else is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RanFlagg

Hey, I got my portfolio points back and it looks quite definite that i'll be doing film this year in IADT so i'll also be jumping on an accommodation bandwaggon if one rolls by. Pretty unfamiliar with the anything to do with accommodation but i'd feel happy to share a house with any one else going to IADT!

Cool

Thats great, at the moment im looking for a house, i think maybe a four bed house, cause now there is four of us including yourself thats interested in a house share, so i will get back to you all when i see a suitable house or get back to me if you come across one either, thanks:)

That sounds like an idea! good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I'll join the bandwagon, I have a possibility of getting a place on either Visual arts practice or photography; photography preferably, would hate to get a bus every morning if it's avoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Victorian_Fangs

Hey! I'm hopefully going to IADT later in the year to do Design for stage and screen: Costume design. Wondering if there's anyone looking to share a house?? :D

Yep, definitely. Should be doing film and tv production next september! Someone needs to like.. take lead and start this accommodation thing rolling.

I agree! What kind of accom were you thinking of? Sharing a house or what?

Maybe a few of us should arrange to meet up somewhere for a drink or something and talk about it?

Better to see if you'd want to live with someone before actually finding somewhere lol :o

Yeah, i was thinking house sharing would be the best option. And yeah i second the idea of meeting up beforehand or something. I live in west cork at the moment so as for the ease of that..

But i'd go up to Dun Laoighre during the summer to check things out.

I don't mind what happens really but it'd be great to get a group of people all going to IADT together, an it looks like thats possible here!

Yeah i third the idea of meeting up first..
    I live in Wexford at the moment but I'd go up to Dun Laoghaire during the summer too.
    When could we do this is the question now! :)

Cool, I'm in Dundalk :( lol.

We should plan a day that suits everyone to go up, meet up and have a bitta craic and sort it all out :D

Yeah, sound like a good plan! I suppose sort of late summerish? I wouldn't mind when. Throw out a date! some time in August perhaps

I was going to suggest mid to late july. Seen as offers come out in august. Better off knowing who alls definitely up for it a fair bit in advance don't you think?

• Advertisement

Yeah, sure that sounds grand! I have no experience whatsoever with the workings of house sharing and property in general :P Late July would be good. A sufficient amount of time after Oxegen

Advertisement