Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Running Advice

Options
  • 08-04-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I've started running regularly for the last 4 weeks, it's going ok, but I am absolutely knackered after 17 minutes, and thats running pretty slowly. I've been reading a book which says I should really be running a minimum of 30 mins to benefit. I usually walk about 5 mins after the run to cool down and then I'm back home.

So how important is it to last the 30 mins?

I've not really noticed much improvement over the last 4 weeks despite running 4 or 5 days a week. :(

Thanks!
    Dantes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Good going on getting out running. Getting over the initial hurdles can be tough, but it's definitely worth it! I've never heard of 30 mins being the minimum for benefits before, but it's definitely a good goal to aim at... As far as I'm concerned any running is going to give you more benefit than none at all!!

To try to get over this 17 minute hurdle it might be worth stepping into the Couch to 5k plan which a lot of us used when we started to help build that initial base of running. If you can manage 17 mins, it should be ok to pick up the program on week 5. Don't try to go too fast or do too much too soon and you'll be up to running for 30 minutes in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 anfearruaaris

Wht part of the country are you located in? If you are in the Dunshaughlin area, the www.dunshaughlinac.com have started a new initiative 'The 3,4,5 Series' of runs aiming to get people running for the summer with a target of the Michael Manning Memorial Dunshaughlin 10km on June 26th. It begins of with 3km this Sunday morning 11th April at 10.30 and its only €2 per race. Next race is 4km then a 5km. Drop in if you are around, you'ld be more than welcome, Beginners are very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

Thanks for the replies! Yeah it's a little demoralising at the start, I'll keep pushing, and try to use the schedule in that couch to 5k guide. Not close to dunshaughlin but definitely would like to get a 5k done when I can run that far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a race calendar here , see if you can find one near you
    It's good to have a target in mind, helps keep the motivation up

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

My only bit of advice is to build yourself up to greater distances slowly. Don't rush yourself, which is a lesson I learned the hard way by injuring myself.

It's fairly tough to begin with (it certainly was for me) and you'd think your not improving for the first few weeks, but you are actually improving bit by bit. Just run at as comfortable a pace as you can to start with and increase distance slowly. I only increased the length of my runs by a couple of mins a week to begin with. You'll soon start to notice yourself really improving before long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

My advice to beginners, especially blokes who may feel 'uncool', is always to SLOW DOWN. You may think that you're going slow already, but just try it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

www.dunshaughlinac.com have started a new initiative 'The 3,4,5 Series' of runs aiming to get people running for the summer with a target of the Michael Manning Memorial Dunshaughlin 10km on June 26th.

AFAIK this series is just for local people associated with the Dunshaughlin Club, it is not open to all-comers.

By sticking to the 10% rule, you'll not go too far wrong. Only increase distance by 10% per week. When you want to get stronger and run faster do three weeks with an increase each week and then an easy week and so on etc. A good indicator that you're ready for increasing the intensity of training is when you can chat away to a running companion for a full training run WITHOUT feeling completely breathless after the run.

The series is for anybody who wants to get fit and wants to have a target for the Summer, to help shed a few pounds or to run a timed 5km or eventually a 10km, Don't think there are restrictions on who can or cant run them. Everyone welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Dantes wrote: »
    Hi,

I've not really noticed much improvement over the last 4 weeks despite running 4 or 5 days a week. :(

Try running 3 days/week, slower and farther. Try not to worry too much about Personal Bests and more abuout just trying to relax and enjoy what your doing... Keep the faith. You will improve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement