Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Customer Care Issue

Options
  • 08-04-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with Argos customer care in relation to faulty Nintendos. I bought a Nintendo off them before Christmas and it stopped working after two months.I gave it back to them and they sent it off for repair and are now saying that the repair is not coverered under warranty.I disagree as it was was only used in the manner intended and not subjected to any abuse. The local store won't discuss the matter and I now have to deal with the Argos Customer Care call centre which is in the UK (They don't have an Irish phone number to deal with Irish customers) who take great pleasure in saying that it's my problem. Is my only option the Small Claims Court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Well what's wrong with the DS? Was it damaged by impact or water?

Argos are probably only replaying what Nintendo are saying to them, but of course you shouldn't be calling UK numbers to get this sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

snappieT wrote: »
    Well what's wrong with the DS? Was it damaged by impact or water?

Argos are probably only replaying what Nintendo are saying to them, but of course you shouldn't be calling UK numbers to get this sorted.

+1. Get in touch with Nintendo if you can to see what they are saying is the problem, and go from there

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have the local store given you a specific reason the warranty is void?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ask for a report, preferably written, that gives the details of the damage and why they won't cover it. This should come from Nintendo or their authorised repair people, but Argos should be able to provide it to you. If they refuse, then Small Claims would be an option, though you'd want to be absolutely sure it wasn't something you did to damage it. If they have proof of user damage, you'll be wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As jor el said, start by looking for an engineer's report on the damage to the Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 trebuchet

Thanks for the replies. Nintendo say that the fault is not covered by warranty. I know that the machine was not subjected to any water,bashing,etc. and was only used for a couple of months. Still if they don't want to do the right thing and fix it under warranty, it's going to cost me either way. I just think that it's shoddy practice but these are the times that we live in! Its Argos that has really annoyed me in this whole business, it goes to show what they think of their Irish customers that we have to go to the additional expense of an international call to talk to their customer service in order to be sent packing (they could teach RyanAir a thing or two about washing their hands and cuffing customers)! I doubt if they'll lose any sleep over the matter but anyone thinking of buying consumer electronics through Argos should be mindful of how faulty goods are treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness to Argos, they are probably held to a very tight contract with Nintendo. In other words, Nintendo won't allow Argos to replace any faulty devices without first examining it.

I do agree on the call thing though. An Irish number for Irish customers would be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

OP while I understand that Argos should have an Irish number to ring, the situation would be the same as any other retailer.

Used to work for Xtra-Vision in a store that sold only video games and consoles, and Nintendo wanted to inspect any unit that was reported faulty before a replacement was issued. It was the same with Sony, and Microsoft would arrange for the console to be collected by UPS and shipped off to Germany for inspection.

I recently had to take my laptop back to Harvey Norman, and they wouldn;t replace it then even though I could prove an obvious hardware fault, it had to go to Sony first to be repaired, and they wouldn't budge on it.

Insist on an engineers report for the console, and go from there is the best option.

trebuchet wrote: »
    I bought a Nintendo off them before Christmas and it stopped working after two months.I gave it back to them and they sent it off for repair and are now saying that the repair is not coverered under warranty.

All electronics are covered by Argos for 12 months after purchase, but are excluded from their 28 day money back guarantee (ie; you can't just change your mind, but if it goes faulty, they must send it off for repair).

You bought it before Christmas, it's April now, that's well within 12 Months.

As far as I'm aware, they attempted to repair it and it didn't work, so now they must replace it or refund you the value of it.

argos.ie wrote:
    What if there's a fault with the product?

We've made it easier!
    • If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a replacement or a refund.
    • If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.
    Please note that all large kitchen appliances are excluded from our 30 day moneyback guarantee, but if your item develops a fault within 30 days call us on 0044 845 6400800 and one of our advisors will assist you with your problem. If faulty and if it cannot be repaired we will arrange a replacement free of charge or you can opt for a refund.

This doesn't affect your statutory rights.

Quoted from: http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

I'm having camera issues at the moment. I bought my Olympus E-420 in June last year and now the shutter seems to be catching or something on it. Hasn't affected photographs just yet, but according to the guys on the photography forum it can only get worse. Because it's near June now, and I'm close to my 12 months being up, I asked Argos if I'd be better off sending it straight to Olmypus myself, seeing what they do, and then if the problem persists, bring it to them in Argos. They said that they (Argos) would need to send it on my behalf and assured me that it would indeed be free.

Should be the same for Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or any other eletronic items company I'd imagine. Their policy on their website doesn't differentiate.

Advertisement