Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Vanity Light

Options
  • 08-04-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok, so I have a new house and I'm trying to do some of the bits and pieces of DIY myself where I can to cut down costs. I've tried to put up a vanity light and think I have everything connected up properly but it doesn't seem to be working at all. All the wires are match up correctly as far as I can tell and it doesn't seem to be anything on the fuseboard thats causing the problem. Just wondering am I missing something basic. None of the other vanity lights have been connected yet either. I was trying to get this one right before I went near any of the others.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong - I would think it can only be one of a small number of things but I'm no expert???

ps. the house is new(ish) - approx 3 years old and has no other electrical problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You need to give more detail on how it wired, where they are coming from, where its switched. A picture or two might also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

if no others are connected its possible that they are not connected at switch did u check for voltage at the terminals? maybe check one of the others if its difficult get to the one u just installed chances are if one is connected/disconnected they are all the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

on some vanity lights the pins on the end of the diffuser have to be manipulated to align with the pins on the bulb ends.try that

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Davy wrote: »
    You need to give more detail on how it wired, where they are coming from, where its switched. A picture or two might also help.

I'll try and take it apart and take a few pics over the weekend.

if no others are connected its possible that they are not connected at switch did u check for voltage at the terminals? maybe check one of the others if its difficult get to the one u just installed chances are if one is connected/disconnected they are all the same way

My gut instinct is telling me that its something like this. I never checked for voltage before I started. I will try this. When you say its not connected at the switch I'm not sure what you mean? (Sounds like maybe a job for an electrician???).

• Advertisement

I should also mention that I connected up the light over my mantle piece in the living room and this is also not working.

All the boxes were there for these lights to be connected to so i just htought it would be an easy job.

Sounds like they need to be turned on though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Could be a number of things.

The cables in the walls could be wired to the switch for the main lights in the room so will only work when they are on

Cables could be wired to the fuse board directly with the MCB tripped

Cables could be wired to nothing

Cables could be running to the back of the main light switch, but not terminated on anything, and need to be connected before they will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

prob not connected at lightswitch

Advertisement