Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€24,000 assistant manager

Options
  • 08-04-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

ok i need peoples opinion: i got let go from a company in feb that was paying me €40,000 a year as assistant manager i've 4 years exerience in management 2 being actual store manager, and now got offered a job paying 24k a year and it's a real kick in the teeth but should i take it given the way things are with jobs at the moment or should i keep looking as at the moment i'm not stuck for money:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

If your not stuck then even more reason to take it IMO. gain experience and either move up or move on when something better comes along. The more experience you have in different environments the more options you'll have later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's €24,000 that you're not earning at the moment, regardless of whether you're stuck or not, you're still losing money by being out of work.

What clown bag says is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IMO it's 10 times easier to get a job when you've already got a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

mims_lally wrote: »
    at the moment i'm not stuck for money:(

Income after tax on 40000 = 31168
    Income after tax on 24000 = 21684
    Social welfare job seekers allowence = 10000

If you can get a job take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you need to take into account that wages have been overinflated for a long time

while i dont know your personal situation so im not attacking you, expecting 40K to be an assistant manager in a shop is ridicolous and part of why we are such an expensive country, those days are over im afraid

arent lidl paying regional managers 60K a year and they are in charge or 3/4 stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Wage rates are in part set by the sector and overall economy , so I'd try not to take the 24k as a "personal" kick in the teeth.
    I'd think v. carefully about turning it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

My advice would be to take it, I know it's a deflating feeling with such a drop in salary but at the end of the dayit's a job and your still ahead of the race when you have a job at the moment.Nothing is stopping you looking for higher paid positions whilst in this job,and when things start to pick up you'll get one.

Good Luck

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The 40,000 is gone. You are now on 0 (+ benefits) so an increase of 24,000 (-benefits) is an improvement no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

take the job and you can always get another one - as perv poster siad - its easier to find a job when your in a job!
    i say go for it! and Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

messrs wrote: »
    as perv poster siad
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I know it's a serious drop in takehome pay, but it is still takehome pay. Take the job, get off the dole and make yourself a better employment prospect for a future employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

The 40,000 is gone. You are now on 0 (+ benefits) so an increase of 24,000 (-benefits) is an improvement no matter what way you look at it.

income from this job is €1804 per month.

Social welfare income: 848 per month
    Rent allowance: could be about 400 per month
    Medical card: probably about 25 per month
    Fuel allowance: 86 per month for 32 weeks in the year if you are unemployed over 12 months.
    That works out at 1333 per month. Will you have to commute to work? Lunch costs in the day?

Personally I would stay on the dole and make up an extra bit every month on gambling on betfair. Spend my time making food cheaply, running a nice tight life.

income from this job is €1804 per month.

Social welfare income: 848 per month
    Medical card: probably about 25 per month
    Fuel allowance: 86 per month for 32 weeks in the year if you are unemployed over 12 months.
    That works out at 1333 per month. Will you have to commute to work? Lunch costs in the day?

Personally I would stay on the dole and make up an extra bit every month on gambling on betfair. Spend my time making food cheaply, running a nice tight life.

LOL YEAH THAT'S THE LIFE :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL YEAH THAT'S THE LIFE :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Better than working 40 hours a week in a poxy shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

ok i need peoples opinion: i got let go from a company in feb that was paying me €40,000 a year as assistant manager i've 4 years exerience in management 2 being actual store manager, and now got offered a job paying 24k a year and it's a real kick in the teeth but should i take it given the way things are with jobs at the moment or should i keep looking as at the moment i'm not stuck for money:(
    That's a pretty low wage tbh. Below minimum? Don't forget your self worth.

Mister men wrote: »

That sort of attitude is for losers.

What would you rather do? Claim on the dole and have a lie in every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Why not try to make a deal with the boss.

Take the 24k as a base salary and if you can increase revenue and/or decrease costs by a certain amount in a certain amount of time you get an increase for such and such.

It would be a good incentive for you to prove your worth as a manager too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mister men wrote: »
    lol, you think 24k might be below minimum wage?! I fúckin' wish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i wonder did the OP take this job in the end.....considering the first post was back at the beginning of April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

dunno but i bet billybiggunz is still sitting on his hole at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Better than working 40 hours a week in a poxy shop.

You'll go far with that kind of attitude!

Better to work than sit around on your ass. If you were an employer who would you hire? The guy who sat round doing nothing for the last 2 years, or some guy who worked hard for a medium level wage.

Doop wrote: »
    You'll go far with that kind of attitude!

Better to work than sit around on your ass. If you were an employer who would you hire? The guy who sat round doing nothing for the last 2 years, or some guy who worked hard for a medium level wage.
    I have gone very far with that attitude. That salary would cover me a few months in my job.
    Then again I've done things the right way.

I have gone very far with that attitude. That salary would cover me a few months in my job.
    Then again I've done things the right way.

That's your choice. Don't try and pollute other people who want to work though.

Is this your way of persuading yourself that you're not a bum?

No, the 60K car and the house in Ballsbridge is.

Sorry is that meant to be the definition of success?

if so, why only a 60K car and a house in Ballsbridge instead of a car worth 1 million euro and a penthouse in the Hamptons?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mims_lally

ok guy's i'll fill ye in!!! didnt take the job, and no i'm not on the dole before anyone say's that! i've started working for myself cleaning house's and it's going really well and it's keeping me in money till i get something sorted

Sorry is that meant to be the definition of success?

if so, why only a 60K car and a house in Ballsbridge instead of a car worth 1 million euro and a penthouse in the Hamptons?

Hey I'm quite a few years short of 30, give me a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm in a similar position, being laid off next month on a similar original wage and to be honest I'd rather 24k a year than the palty 10k that the dole offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Obviously you've never lived in a slumland hovel which is all you will get in most parts of the country for 400 a month - anyway the max payment is 108-24 euro which you are expected to pay yourself out of your dole which means rent allowance is really only 84 euros a week max. Bringing that down to 364. The kind of place that is an individual unit and 108 a week or less is pretty grim, believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Hey I'm quite a few years short of 30, give me a chance.

I call b.s. on this.

Unless daddy sorted you out ;)

Advertisement