Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, the easier to develop excuse was valid in the first couple of years but how long is the PS3 out now? Ports should automatically be discounted in price I think. I mean it was Sony after all that the GTA games made all their original money, put some effort in ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, the easier to develop excuse was valid in the first couple of years but how long is the PS3 out now? Ports should automatically be discounted in price I think. I mean it was Sony after all that the GTA games made all their original money, put some effort in ffs.

Just cus its been out for a while doesnt make it easier, its not a learning process but a time and construction process that cant be changed or made to go faster. So what if Sony had the original gta games? that has nothing to do with the development of this game. Its completely sonys fault that its a problem to develop for and nobody elses and fans should be blaming them instead of getting on their fanboy horses whenever a game comes out that had to be ported or isnt as good as a 360 version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Has anyone seen the developer videos with Uncharted 2. They go through some of the work required to get the most out of the cell processor.
    I think Sony need to step up here and release a better SDK to make it easier to get the Cell working 100%. I dont see 3rd party developers doing what Naughty Dog have done and develop in assembly code.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just cus its been out for a while doesnt make it easier, its not a learning process but a time and construction process that cant be changed or made to go faster. So what if Sony had the original gta games? that has nothing to do with the development of this game. Its completely sonys fault that its a problem to develop for and nobody elses and fans should be blaming them instead of getting on their fanboy horses whenever a game comes out that had to be ported or isnt as good as a 360 version.

I fully agree its Sony who are to blame but seriously something has to be done. Sick of hearing that the PS3 is the superior machine but oh we just can't utilise all its goodness yet. Heard Sony was offering tutorials to developers on how to make better use of its system, never heard anymore about that.

End of the day, i'm sticking with my PS3 and couldn't give a sh*t about the differences in the graphics. Graphics didn't bother me on the C64 and they're not gonna bother me now. Just wish somethign was done about the ability to develop for the PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I fully agree its Sony who are to blame but seriously something has to be done. Sick of hearing that the PS3 is the superior machine but oh we just can't utilise all its goodness yet.

There's a number of games on PS3 that are going a step further than anything else in console-land. Games like GoW and Uncharted 2 show what the machine can do when it's developed for properly.

If a dev tries to do things the traditional way, with a main game thread, and a couple of other threads spun off for physics or AI, and with not too much concern for memory/data layout, then PS3 will run that like ****, relatively. The 360 is a lot more forgiving of that kind of approach. PS3 demands you take a 'next-gen' granular job-queue approach, and not every dev has made the transition yet. When you do, though, PS3 will reward you with amazing performance, and you'll get better performance on other platforms too into the bargain. That's why there is such a gap between some of the first party Sony stuff and some of the third party multiplatform stuff.

Reading around it sounds like Rockstar have made some engine improvements compared to GTAIV on PS3, the average framerate is apparently better. It is a shame though that they don't seem to have gone further, or gone as far as other multiplatform developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I already posted this in the xbox forum, but just in case you missed it.... I just got a text from Smyths saying "Red Dead Redemption X360 out Friday. Get €10 off RDR at your local Smyths store with this code: H09540. Valid until COB 23rd May. We buy your old games back."

Don't want to be going on about this further, cuz I think its taking away that RDR will still be one of the best games this year! but I found a youtube doubler (never saw this before) showing same scenes from both games running together. Ya xbox looks sharper but PS3 still looks great. One guy said on gamefaqs that rolling dust was taking out of PS3 but i'm sure I can see it in that vid.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=8X271DTsH_g&start1=0&video2=2wge2EVB3wE&start2=0&authorName=Grey

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Good lord. Just saw some 360/PS3 comparison shots.
    I'll wait until my next paycheck, but definetely picking this up (and on 360 it seems).

I'm still quite sceptical regarding these comparison shots. To me it looks like the 'PS3 shots' are displayed in non HD format. These are still only rumours and there has been no official statement from Rockstar. Could be just posted by some Xbox fanboy? Who knows. All in all this game is gonna be top notch!

Its gonna be €50 in Gamestop for the standard edition and €55 for the special edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Am i the only person who prefers the better anti-aliasing on the PS3 to the better textures on the 360?

But really, in an industry that is slowly starting to reach parity between consoles, something like this is pretty pathetic. I think EA are the only publisher who actually give a damn.

EDIT: And as far as i know this wasn't a port to the PS3. Was listening to the interview they had with the devs on Kotaku and they said that they had two different teams working on each version. And if that is true it just confuses me even more :S

Here is a class vid showing PS3 gameplay in 720p.

The physics are superb and checkout the headshot on the horse midjump at 2:15!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Penny Arcade's take pre-order DLC.

871587546_8WNjR-L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What is that true??!!! I know the review game is fairly corrupt but come on!

Dude it happens all the time. Look up the whole Kane & Lynch mess over at Gamespot when big advertising payouts got a reviewer fired.

Venom wrote: »
    Dude it happens all the time. Look up the whole Kane & Lynch mess over at Gamespot when big advertising payouts got a reviewer fired.

Thats mental, just read that article. Heard about it when it happened but didn't look into it any further. Kinda BS though "Give us a good review or else".

Its not as if R* really have to worry about getting bad reviews for this cuz it looks top class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Only 2 more days to go, are there any trade-in specials going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Venom wrote: »

Sure do you remember all the rumorers about Batman AA and eidos not letting anyone review it unless they gave it 9/10 and the front cover...

Sure do you remember all the rumorers about Batman AA and eidos not letting anyone review it unless they gave it 9/10 and the front cover...

Ya, was gonna mention the Batman thing. Rediculous as that didn't need to pressure anyone, another brilliant game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Slightly OT but while we're on the subject of dodgy reviews, I thought this was an interesting article on why previews hype games that end up being not very good.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/fear-and-loathing-at-e3-the-lie-of-the-game-preview.ars

Back OT, I was in an Xtravision this afternoon and I asked the guy how much RDR was going to be. They didn't know yet, which I thought was very odd considering it is being released on Friday. Also, he was saying that I should pre-order somewhere as he thinks there will be a shortage of copies and that it will be difficult to find one on Friday.

Does anyone think that is a possibility? I can't see it myself but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Most shops pricematch each other for big releases. I grabbed Alan Wake first thing last Friday morning in Game for €50, and it was €45 in there on Saturday.

GF just sent me this link as the game made it into the english press

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1279439/Red-Dead-Redemption-Groundbreaking-video-game-lets-players-relive-Wild-West.html

And also if I still want it for my bday F*ck YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

eioneill wrote: »
    I'm still quite sceptical regarding these comparison shots. To me it looks like the 'PS3 shots' are displayed in non HD format.
    They're rendered in a "non HD format" (640p) and AA is applied to try and hide it, thats why you get the vasaline-o-vision. Same as GTA 4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Daily Mail talking about a Rockstar game in a good light? And i violent game at that? Christ, Rockstar must have paid them a bloody fortune. I was expecting the usual bull**** from them.

I'm sure it'll change though when someone gets influenced by the game, learns to ride a horse and lasso's a nun.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll change though when someone gets influenced by the game, learns to ride a horse and lasso's a nun.

...and ties the nun to a train track. I'd be watching my back if I was a nun:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

well thats just stupid tbh. It was coded on 640p on the PS3. Nothing but stretched pixels :P

360 version is 720p though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

In the video you see one of the multiplayer problems I've heard a lot of people talk about, you spawn close to where you died.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    In the video you see one of the multiplayer problems I've heard a lot of people talk about, you spawn close to where you died.

Ya thats very worrying, but even worse, I heard that if you pick expert (free aim), you can be thrown into a game with easy (auto aim) players. I heard there was specific games for each style. People complaining about not wating to use auto aim but its too hard if you use expert. Then another guy said when you get to level 20, veteran mode opens up and only allows expert mode. Dunno how true this is but R* really need to fix the spawning issue as well. Spawning wasn't really a prob in gta 4 was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

TheTosh wrote: »
    Were the NVG with MW2 any good?

Ya they were actually pretty good to my surprise.
    I also got word today that the game might be delayed on ps3 because of a manufacturin problem. Not confirmed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

theShawzer wrote: »
    Ya they were actually pretty good to my surprise.
    I also got word today that the game might be delayed on ps3 because of a manufacturin problem. Not confirmed though

Surly the games are already in transit on their way to the stores.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Have to say having looked at the PS3 versus Xbox on identical tellys the Xbox does appear to be a bit for want of a better word crisper. But that said without an Xbox directly beside it you wouldn't think twice about the quality of the PS3 graphics.

Also, he was saying that I should pre-order somewhere as he thinks there will be a shortage of copies and that it will be difficult to find one on Friday.

Does anyone think that is a possibility? I can't see it myself but you never know.

Strangely enough considering the above discussions there has been shortages on PS3 consoles. We didn't get our full order in as all stock was allocated as a percentage of what was actually ordered. Xbox was fine.

• Advertisement

Have to say having looked at the PS3 versus Xbox on identical tellys the Xbox does appear to be a bit for want of a better word crisper. But that said without an Xbox directly beside it you wouldn't think twice about the quality of the PS3 graphics.

Strangely enough considering the above discussions there has been shortages on PS3 consoles. We didn't get our full order in as all stock was allocated as a percentage of what was actually ordered. Xbox was fine.

Thanks for that. Glad I preordered it today. HMV preorders get a free Bluray of 3:10 to Yuma which is pretty sweet and the game is only €44.99 which is good too.

Advertisement