Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

theShawzer wrote: »
    It's not a big deal! The buttons are there to be used

dude i can't use a 'trigger' button if i don't feel the click... i don't know what point of pressure activates the action. if they were dubbed 'accelerate' button then fine.. perfect for horse / stagecoach. i am very serious when i say i won't play if its enforced :( i pray this is patched in the future so i can invest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

nice, got mine at around 12 noon today in hmv, cork and got the blu-ray too. got 33 euro for alan wake too which i was finished with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

look at this thread

http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_board/b8267/186998454/r187002655/

prefer L1 or L2 shoot? nobody opts for L2. though some of those guys are lucky its not a deal breaker for em its POP: FS for me tomorrow. even if its a game that needs to fast forward 7yr but only has the ability to rewind.. :(

i'm gonna look into opening up a dualshock n switching the wires. airhead rockstar leavin me a glum purple bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

my screen gets ridiculously dark at certain times during the game... I noticed it first before i even started the game, the pre game credits or whatever were very faded - in game i noticed it went very dark during the poker game, and some other scenes :/

just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Well I played a good bit of poker and didn't get any darkness but the other players were a bit lagy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I had to turn the brightness and contrast up a bit because I couldn't see a thing at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I knew this game would be sort of similar to grand theft auto but with horses but it really is...... Grand theft auto with horses.

And by that association, it's brilliant.

I'll be playing til the sun comes come tonight I reckon.

Best part of the game so far? The absolutely perfect soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I keep getting bounties on me cos I can't tell 'lawmen' from ordinary folk and keep shooting em :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Right well I've just played 3 hours there when the intention was to play 1 hour. Found it hard to put the pad down mind, and I genuinely think thats the first time thats happened for years. I seem to have spent most of my time belting about the place on the horse, firing bullets into animals. Strange, yet very gratifying. :p I've about 1% of the game done!

Oh and please nobody tell me they are playing this game with 'casual' aim? I've started with normal and will continue until I decide to go expert (whatever that is).

Really enjoying it so far I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I was playing this last night and got to the stage coach race mission. The game started acting really wierd. The race had not even begun but the stage coaches all started to vibrate like mad and the horses sunk into the ground. They wouldnt move when i tried and then failed me coz i killed a man even though i did nothing, but gave me an option to skip to checkpoint which i took and it brought me to the end of mission.

I tried steal a stage coach but the same thing happened.

I turned it off then but i hope it was just a glitch not a game breaking moment causing me to start over which happened in the previous 2 gta s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can someone help me,Im just after helping
    the old guy you save and bring to town to the doctor
    but Im not sure where Im meant to go next to progress the story,any thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm playing with Normal difficulty.
    The difference between them all is to do with auto-aim & lock-ons.
    Casual is full lock-on, auto-aim and stays locked on like GTA4, Normal you have to aim at the character, animal and then it will lock on & Expert is full manual control.

I've been challenged to 2 duels so far, hadn't a clue how to control the duel the first time and died but figured it out for 2nd one. If you shoot the gun out of the opponent, you will get more honor & fame.

The game is really stunning to look at, the open vistas of the West are very well recreated and it has the best skybox and weather I've yet seen in a game. The herding mission in McFarlene's ranch with the storm coming has great weather effects.

One more thing is the sound design is excellent. Guns sound very realistic together with random NPC chat & ambient noise of the wind, crickets & animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

my screen gets ridiculously dark at certain times during the game... I noticed it first before i even started the game, the pre game credits or whatever were very faded - in game i noticed it went very dark during the poker game, and some other scenes :/

just me?

I had the same problem with gta 4. I thought i would have a similar problem with RDR since they are published by the same company and use the same game engine and all but i am surprised that it hasnt been the case.
    I set my tv settings to the default " Game " mode and increased the saturation level (within the game) and it seems to be perfect.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I keep getting bounties on me cos I can't tell 'lawmen' from ordinary folk and keep shooting em :o

I could be wrong here but i think u will get a bounty only if u shoot anybody inside a town/ranch (or whatever they call those settlements). It doesnt matter who it is (lawman or ordinary folk). On the other hand if u kill someone in the wilderness with no witnesses then u would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

The online free roam with a couple of friends is probably one of the best multiplayer experiences in recent years. We were in stitches laughing for 2 hours straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

jmx009 wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but i think u will get a bounty only if u shoot anybody inside a town/ranch (or whatever they call those settlements). It doesnt matter who it is (lawman or ordinary folk). On the other hand if u kill someone in the wilderness with no witnesses then u would be ok.

You even get a bounty on you if you point your gun at a lawman by mistake.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's just so many great ideas in there, it's the best game I've played in a very long time. Only touched on the multi-player last night but the shoot-outs to start a round as a touch of genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Gadge wrote: »
    You even get a bounty on you if you point your gun at a lawman by mistake.:mad:

dam straight you do

Anybody play the dice game?... its quite difficult to learn, still trying to get to grips with it myself but its great fun, it's not available in the first two towns though, i got it along with 21 in another town i went to for a stranger mission.

I've spent hours just hunting animals and playing games, this is becoming like GTA 3 all over again, where you could just spend HOURS messing around

I'm off to play that dice game again....:pac:

Might check out the cheating perks, got a flash on the screen saying i could learn by going somewhere

damn this game is good !

I have put in about 6 hours so far and i have only completed 2 story missions so far ( the first two). I am soo hooked into hunting the different types of animals in the game and selling their body parts.

I have so far only managed to find 15-16 of the different species in the game. I was told that there are about 40 different species in the game.
    I still havent touched any of the ingame minigames. I heard that they are very addictive as well.

If anyone's out there still not sure of getting this game, dont waste ur time thinking, just get it. Its freaking awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

+ 1 with the hunting. I literally spent 2 hours doing it last night, skinning them and selling it onto shops. Nice way of making a few quid. Now to find some grizzlies. That 5 finger knife game is bloody hard once you go up a few levels, and apart from one big hand, I wasn't doing too well in poker.

Definitely haven't spent this much time messing about in a game for years though. 3 hours play last night seemed like 30 mins. It's almost a pity its such a nice weekend, as well as there being so much sport on TV. May not get to play this until tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can someone help me,Im just after helping
    the old guy you save and bring to town to the doctor
    but Im not sure where Im meant to go next to progress the story,any thought?
    You should have a mission from either Bonnie or the Marshall.If you've completed them,you have to wait a day or two for the old guy to heal and he'll have a mission for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247674?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Haha obviously some media had nothing better to write about today. :D

Fizman wrote: »
    + 1 with the hunting. I literally spent 2 hours doing it last night, skinning them and selling it onto shops. Nice way of making a few quid. Now to find some grizzlies. That 5 finger knife game is bloody hard once you go up a few levels, and apart from one big hand, I wasn't doing too well in poker.

Definitely haven't spent this much time messing about in a game for years though. 3 hours play last night seemed like 30 mins. It's almost a pity its such a nice weekend, as well as there being so much sport on TV. May not get to play this until tomorrow night.

The mini-games are great. Five-finger fillet is very tough. The horseshoe throwing is a good laugh, got a ringer in my first game.
    Haven't tried the poker yet but will give it a shot over the weekend.

Treasure hunting looks like it going to be difficult. The treasure maps are very vague, a bit like real treasure maps I suppose.

Finical wrote: »
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247674?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Bloody stupid. Surpised PETA haven't kicked up a stink over the game yet seeing as you can shot horses & birds and kill and graphically skin dogs, bears, cougars and lots of other wild life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Finical wrote: »

Ha, if the shoe fits:)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Soby wrote: »
    Did anyone get it in HMV or Game today in Liffey Valley without pre ordering it?..Man i want this game :(

Yeah, walked in at lunchtime, loads of PS3 and 360 copies left with a bunch of 3:10 to Yuma too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Some guy was stealing my horse, so I lasso'd him. Turned out he was a sheriff and so I became a criminal.

Life sure is tough in the west!!

Great game so far tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Love the game so far and the random events that appear keeps the game interesting plus I like how they threw in the wilhelm scream when you kill some enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,942 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Barely got a chance to play this..

Had a really odd power surge last night - can't explain it. Power cut of on all my sockets for about 5 seconds. Everything then came back bar my TV and Sky Box wouldn't come back on, and all the lights in the house were running at about 1/5 brightness. Everything was working bar the TV and Sky Box (and lights) so I went to bed. Woke up about 2am.. checked lights and TV and Sky Box were working fine. Trip switch never tripped. Any electricians in the house wanna hazard a guess as to what happened?! :confused:

And this morning, I woke up and was chaffeur for my girlfriend, had to sort out my parent's broadband (3MB connection running at under 1MB), bring the dog for a long walk and now cut the grass.

Anyways, only got as far as seeing Fort Mercer before being shot and rescued.. probably not even 5 minutes of gameplay! :(

Advertisement