Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Im only 5 hours in but the most annoying thing is the dialogue....."Ms McFaralane".."Mr Marston"...every 5 seconds. Learn her first name for christ sake. I know thats the way they spoke back then but jeez it becomes irritating.

One of the things i love about RDR that GTA should adapt is not having a mobile phone. In GTA its an annoyance that must go away. This is true free roam and you decide what you want to do next without constant reminders. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Seems to me that people's opinions of RDR are at best 'WOO! YEE-HAAAA! Why can't I legally marry a computer game? WHY!?' and at worst 'It's GTA in the Wild West, albeit an improved version'.

I still haven't got it yet, but I think the fact that I've never played any of the GTA games might stand to me and others who haven't in that we'll play the game for what it is and not be looking at the comparisons with other games so much. I hope.

I'm not sure if I can trust my postman though... I've an FHM subscription that never makes it in my front door, I'm hoping he won't swipe my RDR copy too. Scráib will be angry if he does. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I been playing this game alot.. Didn't really start untill Saturday but now ive played about 12 hours and 45.3% finished... I have played alot of poker and dosing about...

Does anyone know is this the same as GTA in terms of you probably will finish the game at 60%? Which is when I finished GTA IV I was on like 60%..

It is a brilliant game but it's about 10 times too big... I have to ride around for ages to get to locations and I wouldnt mind but nothing exciting happens during these rides, e.g in GTA you could crash cars, run over people etc.. Not as many horses about either.. That is probably the only downfall..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Can anyone with the limited edition answer this please, I have the4 code for all 3 extras. If I put it in do I automatically have to use them? As in are the golden guns and deadly assasins outfit applied automatic as tbh i'd rather not use them for the most part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you are getting bored of the long travel between towns, missions make sure you have bought the maps in the general store and use the camp site (press select) to fast travel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not sure about the golden guns, but you can change your outfit whenever you want.

I spent about 2 hours hunting various animals last night, then played poker for about an hour. There's just so much to do. Its fantastic. A few things occasionally annoy me though, such as losing your horse after certain missions, regardless of whether or not you have his loyalty.

I also accidentally shot my horse in the head when i was being attacked by wolves. And it was a great horse too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Calhoun wrote: »
    loving the game :) especially for the little things in it.

I was up in armadillo sitting outside the cinema and for what ever reason i look to my left and there is one of the local dogs taking a slash, he was lucky he didnt get me otherwise i would have had to put him down for the cheek :P.
    I saw that too. I also was trotting along a road and passed a guy who stopped and got off his horse. He then walks over to a bunch of rocks a starts taking a piss. And then there was the prostitute leaning over the balcony of a saloon, blowing kisses to a preacher who was hurling abuse at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Big Knox wrote: »
    Can anyone with the limited edition answer this please, I have the4 code for all 3 extras. If I put it in do I automatically have to use them? As in are the golden guns and deadly assasins outfit applied automatic as tbh i'd rather not use them for the most part?
    You still have to unlock the deadly assassins outfit. The war horse comes as a deed in your inventory that I think has unlimited uses. The golden guns are automatically used, but they only apply to your first pistol and rifle, so once
    you buy/find others you can use those instead.

Also, the guns aren't great and I didn't even notice they were golden until I got a close up. The horse is handy enough an I've yet to unlock the outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Does anyone know is this the same as GTA in terms of you probably will finish the game at 60%? Which is when I finished GTA IV I was on like 60%..

Ya I suspect it'll be the same because there's loads of other stuff to do in the game too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I been playing this game alot.. Didn't really start untill Saturday but now ive played about 12 hours and 45.3% finished... I have played alot of poker and dosing about...

It is a brilliant game but it's about 10 times too big... I have to ride around for ages to get to locations and I wouldnt mind but nothing exciting happens during these rides, e.g in GTA you could crash cars, run over people etc.. Not as many horses about either.. That is probably the only downfall..

I find there are loads of tasks to do along the roadside as stranger stop you for help and such

• Advertisement

Am i right in assuming there's no obvious way of telling if one horse is better then another? Other then how they look visually i mean. I'm just wondering as i've been doing a bit of searching for a good horse (after killing my last one), but i find it hard to tell which one's are the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

irish's accent
    really annoys me for some reason..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Roar wrote: »
    irish's accent
    really annoys me for some reason..

I loved Marstons response to the
    Welsh mans accent

I'm loving the game and think i'm addicted to it. I'm taking my time exploring and looking for the treasure. Think i'll buy the local maps tonight and see what I can find with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Me and my friend did some online hunting yesterday. It was awesome.
    We got together in the free roam and decided to go hunting.

It was like real life hunting. He would run in front of the wild horse herd and i would run behind the herd and we would shoot.

I know it sucks shooting wild horses but it was fun.:o

I am going to try this with buffalos and cattle herd tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Kiith wrote: »
    Am i right in assuming there's no obvious way of telling if one horse is better then another? Other then how they look visually i mean. I'm just wondering as i've been doing a bit of searching for a good horse (after killing my last one), but i find it hard to tell which one's are the best.

Maybe this might help:

http://www.helium.com/items/1839892-how-to-determine-red-dead-redemption-horse-breeds

Also, if you do a certain mission for Bonnie she gives you a very good horse.

I'm loving it so far, the opportunities in the game are immense.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Also, if you do a certain mission for Bonnie she gives you a very good horse
    I hope this wasn't the last horse i had :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

for any one looking for a copy game in ilac centre have some copy's just home after getting mine

also game stop in talla and blanch have some the guy in liffey street confirmed this

and HMV on henry street are expecting a delivery in later on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Maybe this might help:

http://www.helium.com/items/1839892-how-to-determine-red-dead-redemption-horse-breeds

Also, if you do a certain mission for Bonnie she gives you a very good horse.

I'm loving it so far, the opportunities in the game are immense.

The only problem with that horse compared to the war horse is it doesnt handle small drops very well.

There i was racing through the countryside when the ground disappeared from below me and i fell into a little trench, when i picked myself up the poor old horse was only good for skinning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I posted this in the other RDR thread but it could be a PS3 only glich that I'm having - when talking to Bonnie and other game characters I cannot hear what they are saying - the dialogue is inaudible.

With subtitles enabled I can 'see' what they are saying but the only audible sounds are background noises like birds and crickets. Anyone else get this and know a way around it? Restarting makes no difference. Its a minor issue and doesn't take away from the sheer brilliance that is RDR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

cdb wrote: »
    I posted this in the other RDR thread but it could be a PS3 only glich that I'm having - when talking to Bonnie and other game characters I cannot hear what they are saying - the dialogue is inaudible.

With subtitles enabled I can 'see' what they are saying but the only audible sounds are background noises like birds and crickets. Anyone else get this and know a way around it? Restarting makes no difference. Its a minor issue and doesn't take away from the sheer brilliance that is RDR.

No problems with the sound at all. Is it only with a few characters that you are having the problems..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EGriff wrote: »
    Well in fairness what you said was a spoiler since people playing the game since friday haven't seen that yet. Especially since
    Marston refuses the advances of prostitutes unlike every other rockstar game that they have been in.

WRONG -

(I'll use spoiler tags this time for the touchy folk -)
    The sex scene isn't between Marston and a prostitute. It's between one of the other NPCs and a town girl. Not something which has any bearing on the plot/missions/lead character/any relevant part of the game whatsoever, therefore not a spoiler

Anyone get the semi auto shotgun yet? It's so much fun. The only down side is pissing through shotgun ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Calhoun wrote: »
    The only problem with that horse compared to the war horse is it doesnt handle small drops very well.

There i was racing through the countryside when the ground disappeared from below me and i fell into a little trench, when i picked myself up the poor old horse was only good for skinning.

I had my stallion (from the bonnie task) nicked out in the desert at night. Shot the thief but also managed to kill the horse by accident. Skinned it and then whistled for a ride. Same horse (ie the one lying dead on the ground) appeared as usual. Wasn't going to complain, so rode off. I had the warhorse code prior to using the stallion, so don't know if that might be the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

padair wrote: »
    No problems with the sound at all. Is it only with a few characters that you are having the problems..?
    Pretty much although it seems to be an intermittent problem. When talking to Bonnie I could heat her up to a point then the sound went. Other characters that were affected were the Sheriff &
    the injured stagecoach
    guy. Its the same whether I use the sounds from the tv or in 5.1 through an av receiver. Gonna hit up the RDR forums and see if anyone else is getting the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Hey anyone with the warhorse code, where and when do you get the horse in the Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Free co-op dlc coming next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

Hey anyone with the warhorse code, where and when do you get the horse in the Game.

exactly im stuck with a stupid donkey,
    how do ya rank up in this game i haven a clue wats goin on im finding it pretty sh.it to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Can that war horse be got in the game without the DLC code? As im thinking of putting mine on ebay as theyre going for about €20 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

U should enter the warhorse code in the DLC section in the main menu. I dont think u can use the warhorse in online though. I am under the impression that its for single player only
    Can that war horse be got in the game without the DLC code? As im thinking of putting mine on ebay as theyre going for about €20 :eek:

I dont think u can get the war horse without the code. I am not sure though.

anto86 wrote: »
    exactly im stuck with a stupid donkey,
    how do ya rank up in this game i haven a clue wats goin on im finding it pretty sh.it to be honest

To level up u have to play multiplayer games like team deathmatch, free for all or any of the other multiplayer games available.
    Alternatively u could gang up with friends and play free roam. Where basically everything gives u XP points.

U can upgrade ur donkey to a horse and then to a bull ( i think) by going up in ranks. I think the cap on rank is 50.

If u dont select a particular multiplayer game, u will be thrown into a free roam game by default. So u might want to select that before.
    Also. the free roam aint much fun with just u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'm currently in New Elizabeth, the north area and I'm 64% or so finished. Still a good few more missions to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Anyone found any treasure yet? I was having a look for some just before but the maps are very vague so it'll take a while I reckon. Also do you need a shovel or anything like that, or is it just a chest that you need to look for?

Advertisement