Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

When you purchased the horse you actually received a deed for it. Open your equipment menu (I'm not sure what system you're on but it's the menu with the likes of medicine, tobacco, etc.), select the deed and the horse should show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Hey guys I heard that the gameplay is very similar to GTAIV. Is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just sold the War Horse code on eBay for €11.23. So technically I paid €33.76 for RDR and a good blu ray. Decent business! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Well I consider it to be alot more fluid. The cover system is far better, shooting imo is alot more satisfying and realistic, and just alot more fun. I find you rarely get cheap deaths from poor cover system and not be able to jump over certain walls etc like in GTA IV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've only just arrived in Mexico and done 2 missions I think there.
    Game says I've put 14hrs into the game and only 38% complete so far.

Loving the change of scenery in Mexico so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Valmont wrote: »
    Hey guys I heard that the gameplay is very similar to GTAIV. Is this true?

Well the sandbox style game play is the same as the other GTA games but the characters, story and atmosphere is about a billion types better.

Also no pain in the hole mini games that plagued GTA4 that every damm character made you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

What animals/birds have you come across so far:
    Horses;Cows;Pigs;Goats;Skunks;Armadillos;Rabbits;
    Wolves;Cougars;Dogs;Crows;Hawks;Vultures;Owls;
    Racoons;Snakes;Boars;Bears;Buffalos;Foxes;Bobcats;
    Bighorns(Sheep?);Deers;Mules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Also chickens in most towns, plus spotted a goldish coloured bird once, dont think it was an eagle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Beavers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

hehehehe beavers... :pac:

I have been trying to find beavers actually for one of the Strangers missions. Where is the best place to look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭ongarite

Someone said you can find them by the river near BlackWater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

**MAJOR SPOILER ALERT (Please don't read if you haven't finished the story)**
    It was heartbreaking to say the least. Marston was one of the most well rounded and likeable characters ever and after all he's been through, he goes down in a hail of bullets. I suppose the tranquility of the homestead missions leading up to it had a sense of tragedy creeping up, he could never have gone back to a peaceful life like that without the past catching up with him. His son did him proud in the end though (15 bullets in your face Edgar Ross :D) and that ending theme when the credits rolled was just perfect. The best way to describe it is that is was totally unexpected for the majority of the game, and I still can't decide if I liked it or hated it for killing him off (and leaving me to free roam with someone who looks like the Chef Ketchup logo :D)

GOTY for me anyway, nothing else this year is going to top this game.

P.S: Just activated cheats now that I've finished it. Invincibilty, diplomatic immunity and flaming bullets?? Yes please!!! :D

I've also de-feathered what was called a Songbird. I've also come across a fox and got a pretty penny in the store for his remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Last night I went hunting and just as I'd finished skinning a load of boar, deer, wolves and the odd cougar a live one jumps my horse, and then kills me.

This happened three times!! Every time I missed out on a massive haul of stuff for the shop. Damn those pixelated big cats!

It's a great game, I love the way the world is so busy, you can't go anywhere without stuff popping up to do on the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was playing freeroam last night and when I checked to see how many other players there were there were none,surely thats not right is it?also where can I find me some bears?have'nt come across any yet.

Was playing freeroam last night and when I checked to see how many other players there were there were none,surely thats not right is it?also where can I find me some bears?have'nt come across any yet.

Tall Trees part of the map apparently. I haven't played online myself yet so cannot comment. A few people seem to have seen that mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Fizman wrote: »
    Tall Trees part of the map apparently. I haven't played online myself yet so cannot comment. A few people seem to have seen that mind.

I heard that bears are present mainly on snowy mountains. I heard this in a gaming podcast. I havent seen any snowy mountains in the game so far. Has anyone else seen any?

Also, how do i lasso a person and attach him to the horse that i am riding, so that i can drag him around. I tried lassoing a guy and then tying him up but how do i then attach the tied up body to my horse? Or should i do something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

jmx009 wrote: »
    Also, how do i lasso a person and attach him to the horse that i am riding, so that i can drag him around. I tried lassoing a guy and then tying him up but how do i then attach the tied up body to my horse? Or should i do something else?

If you tie him up then all you can do is carry him or put him on the back of your horse.

If you want to drag him then lassoo him from your horse and without getting off keep holding the aim button. If you ride off you should drag him that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone else noitice no other players in freeroam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DarkJager wrote: »
    **MAJOR SPOILER ALERT (Please don't read if you haven't finished the story)**
    It was heartbreaking to say the least. Marston was one of the most well rounded and likeable characters ever and after all he's been through, he goes down in a hail of bullets. I suppose the tranquility of the homestead missions leading up to it had a sense of tragedy creeping up, he could never have gone back to a peaceful life like that without the past catching up with him. His son did him proud in the end though (15 bullets in your face Edgar Ross :D) and that ending theme when the credits rolled was just perfect. The best way to describe it is that is was totally unexpected for the majority of the game, and I still can't decide if I liked it or hated it for killing him off (and leaving me to free roam with someone who looks like the Chef Ketchup logo :D)

GOTY for me anyway, nothing else this year is going to top this game.

P.S: Just activated cheats now that I've finished it. Invincibilty, diplomatic immunity and flaming bullets?? Yes please!!! :D
    Out of curiosity, did you find the cheats yourself or jsut get them off a site? I found some by accident, not really knowing if they'd work or not. Haven't finished the story yet, so haven't tried them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I only tried the free roam once and yeah, there was only one other guy with me then. There are loads of people to play all the other multiplayer games.

It could be a glitch or it could be that nobody is interested in free roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Scráib wrote: »
    This happened three times!! Every time I missed out on a massive haul of stuff for the shop. Damn those pixelated big cats!

Do you not get to keep the stuff you have collected when you die?

Have been getting on great with this. There is so much you can miss out on. For example
    I rode out to tumbleweed before you have to do the mission with the sheriff to save Bonny from being killed. As I arrived in town I was informed there was another sheriff held hostage there and you had to try and rescue him.
    I died within seconds there was so many of the buggers. Rivetting stuff!

I haven't even tried online yet, what does everyone think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Only done the Free-Roam and best I can say is "MEH". Since there is usually only 4-5 people spread across the whole map you rarely see another person. And if you do and kill one another, the respawn is ridiculous I spawned beside a guy who killed me at close range. Also, the lack of stuff to do (gang hideouts....and......erm...shoot random NPC's for 1 xp point) is quite annoying. Still havent found the hunting areas but even then they are just "kill waves of animals" style things.

When I heard of the MP I thought it would be like Demon Souls or Fable 2, you all play the same game at once but can hop into other players games and either help or hinder them, or just play poker/ blackjack/ liars dice/ horseshoes with each other (are these games in the MP, I cant see any...). Where are the NPC's, the random little side events?? Rockstar could have made a great MMO-lite (all the open world MP but none of the killing 2,000 rats for a quest BS) but went with "Derp.....FFA deathmatch lulz".

Hopefully the free co-op DLC will be a sign of an increased point to the MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Was playing last night just riding through the country when I heard the typical dog barking. Looked to the left, nothing there. Looked to the right, nothing there. Could still hear the barking but couldn't find the little feckers. That was untill I decided to put down the controller and look out my window. There they were, my neighbours two dogs barking away.

Felt like such a pleb :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

The cars, can they be driven in this? Or is it just horses, trains and stagecoaches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

humanji wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you find the cheats yourself or jsut get them off a site? I found some by accident, not really knowing if they'd work or not. Haven't finished the story yet, so haven't tried them.

When you buy newspapers, look at the column in the bottom right. At the very end of this in each paper is a phrase e.g I wish I worked for Uncle Sam. You go to the cheats, enter these phrases in inverted commas and it will give you the corresponding cheat. You'll also see phrases scribbled on walls in places like mines and gang hideouts. These are the same thing.

Point to note that simply entering the cheat phrase doesn't disable saving or achievements. Its only when you actually turn them on that the save function is disabled. You're warned twice in advance of activating them so they can't be turned on accidentally.
    The cars, can they be driven in this? Or is it just horses, trains and stagecoaches?

No, you can't drive them but you will be a passenger in one for some missions in Blackwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Anyone else think the stranger missions are pointless and a waste of time. To me they're just a weaker version of random characters in GTA 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

TheTosh wrote: »
    Anyone else think the stranger missions are pointless and a waste of time. To me they're just a weaker version of random characters in GTA 4

I have to admit that I came across one last night that was really pointless.
    It featured the young lady talking to the priest on the train in the opening cut scene. She's just lying in the middle of the desert and babbling about the Lord. She is clearly sick so you have to bring her medicine. I already had some on me so just gave it to her. That was it! I'm presuming she comes back into the game later. If not what a waste. There is no explanation of how she even got there!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Only done the Free-Roam and best I can say is "MEH". Since there is usually only 4-5 people spread across the whole map you rarely see another person. And if you do and kill one another, the respawn is ridiculous I spawned beside a guy who killed me at close range. Also, the lack of stuff to do (gang hideouts....and......erm...shoot random NPC's for 1 xp point) is quite annoying. Still havent found the hunting areas but even then they are just "kill waves of animals" style things.

Theres a bit more to do than that and the hunting challenges arent actually just killing waves of animals.

Find some friends to play with and check your journal for challenges. Then the fun begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

DarkJager wrote: »
    No, you can't drive them but you will be a passenger in one for some missions in Blackwater.

Aye, did that mission. When I saw the car I was like, wow. But as you said, had to be a passenger.

Advertisement