Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was in town today and got the sudden urge to buy a Clint Eastwood western boxset, and now fully intend to spend the next few days watching The Man with No Name trilogy. Damn, this game gets under your skin :pac:

So much content in this game. Was playing online last night and ended up in Blackwater which looks great, can't wait to get there and have a proper looking around in SP. But still at the start of the Mexico missions, so may be a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I got that box set as well 12 quid in hmv, think i was online with you as well last night. Does anyone know where there are ducks in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

TheTosh wrote: »
    Does anyone know where there are ducks in the game

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Duck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I shot some down at the river at the great plains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I spent about 20 minutes galloping through the beautiful landscape, amazed with the detail, the rolling hills, dusty tracks, ruins of buildings, and deep canyons. The immense freedom and size of the game astounded me. Then I got to a river, stepped into it, and the words DEAD popped up on screen...

With all the detail, I expected to be able to walk into two foot of water without sudden death!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

There is only a few fording points you can ride a horse across, obviously to limit how far you can travel. Would have been nice to have some random litle islands in the centre of big lakes with hidden treasures on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I won't get to play this as its not on the PC :( Even more of a crying shame is that there will be no mod scene, considering the potential for this, could do a Dark Tower story line, or a <insert favourite western here> story line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I won't get to play this as its not on the PC :( Even more of a crying shame is that there will be no mod scene, considering the potential for this, could do a Dark Tower story line, or a <insert favourite western here> story line.

Good idea! But only if it was the first couple of books. The series when rapidly down hill afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just got 100%, only took 70 hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ccfcian

Really strange thing happened when i was playing this earlier. I was in a cave during a mission and pressed R1 to go in to cover behind a crate. When i pressed it John Marston went straight up through the cave and landed on top of it, fell off and died, very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blottedchimp

Well if anyone is still thinking about buying it I'd say go for it 100%. This game is pure bliss! However, the multiplayer is best enjoyed with a few friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tiresmokindad

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah its desperate its not going to make an appearance on PC. With a game world that big, and being a R* title, i think we know what we're in for on consoles. Fuzzy visuals, frame rate issues, popup and general pukeyness. It would have been so nice to play this game on bleeding edge hardware with a high resolution. Its a rental for me anyway. :(

I think it has a good visual effects. I am thinking where to download it free? I like to play that Red Dead Redemption. Looks nice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just finished the main quest last night.
    :(. Got quite attached to John. Had a feeling there'd be a big tragic ending but at the same time..I wasn't expecting that.

I wish I had of played more of the game with him as his son's voice is a tad whiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blottedchimp

Man I hate how gamers go on about how "awful" a game is visually. There may be a few frame rate issues or whatever (none of which I've seen on Red Dead) but whatever happened to gameplay before graphics eh?
    "My PC can play MW2 at 500FPS", well done, too bad you can't tell after around 60fps... :rolleyes:
    Anyway... cool game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Ok I'm getting pretty peeved at the multiplayer. 3 nights in a row now and I've been put into a server by myself and waited for awhile but nobody was put in. Agh.

And aswell I don't find myself eager to play the single player either

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

theShawzer wrote: »
    Ok I'm getting pretty peeved at the multiplayer. 3 nights in a row now and I've been put into a server by myself and waited for awhile but nobody was put in. Agh.

First of all, this is a single player game. Secondly yes, there are some issues with the MP but Rockstar has acknowledged it and said they are working on a patch.
    As a form of appology, they have decided to throw away some goodies (like new costumes etc) in out way. There is also 6 new co op missions comming (for free) later this month.

So, be patient and wait. If you dont like Single player and cannot wait, then sell the game !!.

I still think, its a great game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

jmx009 wrote: »
    First of all, this is a single player game.

Then why did almost every trailer in the last month before release focus on the multiplayer aspect? I'm not saying it's not a single player game, but Rockstar themselves but a massive emphasis on the multiplayer aspect in the pre-release marketing. It was one of the major selling points of it.

I've hardly touched the multiplayer myself. I am finding the single player a bit of a slog though. I've got no compulsion to find out what happens next in the story. The mechanics of the game are good but basically every mission ends with "Thanks, but the princess is in another castle,". I love the setting and scope and all that, but it falls short on a few levels for me personally. Still I'm feeling compelled to collect every frickin' herb and costume, that's what's keeping me playing. Usually I can only play for an hour or so before I lose interest again though. Except for yesterday where I ignored the main story and just focussed on the challenges. It must be the story that's preventing me really getting into the game. Just feels like there's something missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Totally agree with you. If it were just a single player game why is there multiplayer?? And R* have no excuse because it's the same with the gta 4 servers. I really like the game and wnat to play it but I'm getting fed up of starting a mission and have to ride next to some wagon for 5 mins while John and whoever talk rubbish and I get bored. I'm a way bigger fan of single player in all games but I'd still like to be able to enjoy the other game modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I spent about 20 minutes galloping through the beautiful landscape, amazed with the detail, the rolling hills, dusty tracks, ruins of buildings, and deep canyons. The immense freedom and size of the game astounded me. Then I got to a river, stepped into it, and the words DEAD popped up on screen...

With all the detail, I expected to be able to walk into two foot of water without sudden death!

Marston actually mentions during the game that he can't swim either (forget who he was talking to) This wouldn't have been unusual at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

jmx009 wrote: »
    FRockstar has acknowledged it and said they are working on a patch.

Whatever happened to the good old days of not releasing something until it was working properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

theShawzer wrote: »

exactly how i feel about this game have it since launch day and havent seemed to like it at all its collected more dust then anything

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

anto86 wrote: »
    exactly how i feel about this game have it since launch day and havent seemed to like it at all its collected more dust then anything

I had the same experience until I switched to Nat 1, for some reason Rockstar games have this issue as I had the exact same thing happen in GTA IV. Now when I connect there are always players in the lobby.

macpac26 wrote: »
    I had the same experience until I switched to Nat 1, for some reason Rockstar games have this issue as I had the exact same thing happen in GTA IV. Now when I connect there are always players in the lobby.

There is always a lot of people playing online competitive modes (for me , atleast) . Its the free roam that doesnt have too many people in it. The most number of people (random) that i had in free roam at a time was 6. I still find it fun coz i form passes with my friends and usually they invite their friends too. So we usually have atleast 6-8 players. There is so many random thing that u can do in the free roam like random insurgence ( i hope thats the right word) by the rebels and stuff like that where u get extra XP points.

The only thing that i dont like about the online component of this game is the respawn system. I keep getting respawned at the exact same spot where i died ( usually beside my killer). Apart from that flaw, i find this game awesome. Its a 9/10 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Right so I'm about 26 hours into the SP and I'm still coming across some nice random moments.

Was trotting through the countryside when I come across this women crying beside a dead body on the ground. As I'm walking over to see what's up, the girl pulls out a pistol and shoots herself in the head!! I was not expecting that!

Also came across 3 uniformed guys holding up a standard looking person at gun point. They had him hand cuffed and facing away from them. They then shoot him in the back of the head, and the shooter walks over and spits on the dead body. Class!

I've also come across two animals for the first time, a Bighorn and a Bobcat.

Fizman wrote: »
    Right so I'm about 26 hours into the SP and I'm still coming across some nice random moments.

Was trotting through the countryside when I come across this women crying beside a dead body on the ground. As I'm walking over to see what's up, the girl pulls out a pistol and shoots herself in the head!! I was not expecting that!
    Bobcat.

I've put in nearly the same number of hours and i am yet to see that random event !!
    This game never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Am I the only one who hasn't been amazed by this game yet? Five hours in and it still feels like a boring GTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Bonavox wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hasn't been amazed by this game yet? Five hours in and it still feels like a boring GTA.

It definately feels like GTA but a tighter, more refined version of the game. I'm loving it and its probably my favorite game of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

The most fun to be had in this game is by doing your own thing. The missions in the first half of the game are tedious and whoever came up with the whole picking different types of herbs needs a kick in the face.

Actually putting the missions aside and going around the different areas is suprisingly entertaining. I was trying to get one of the treasures in Tall Trees and while I was looking at the map booklet that comes with the game a bear came out of nowhere and beat the ****e out of me. Also running head on into a train while on a donkey always makes me laugh.

While I don't agree with a 9.7 score it's definitely better than GTA IV. It doesn't impose missions on you and let's you do your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

macpac26 wrote: »
    While I don't agree with a 9.7 score it's definitely better than GTA IV. It doesn't impose missions on you and let's you do your thing.

Not a hard task in fairness. The story in Red Dead Redemption got very boring for me after a while but I find that since clearing it and doing my own thing it is much more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Bonavox wrote: »

Have similar feelings about it, I'm enjoying it but I'm not blown away by it. It hasn't captured me like a good game does.

Advertisement