Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

rifyraina wrote: »
    That's looking fine and great work on graphics, I am a big fan of GTA title because GTA makes challenging games and high rating games, I am sure that this one is also nominated for high rating game like Sen Anddrius.

running tights

Waiiiiii?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Finished the game yesterday, i thought it was good
    with the twist at the end
    A spoiler would have been useful for those who haven't finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

cdb wrote: »
    A spoiler would have been useful for those who haven't finished yet.

Why did he need a spoiler he didn't give anything away that could ruin it for people, actually saying what he said will probably create some excitement for people who haven't finish it.

TheTosh wrote: »
    Why did he need a spoiler he didn't give anything away that could ruin it for people, actually saying what he said will probably create some excitement for people who haven't finish it.
    Thorbarry already said it
    Man, I hate when people say "twist at the end". Now I know to expect a twist at the end
    ....yeah he didn't give anything away but why bother even saying there is a twist, why not let players find out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

cdb wrote: »
    Thorbarry already said it ....yeah he didn't give anything away but why bother even saying there is a twist, why not let players find out for themselves.

I wouldn't call it a twist really. You'd be better off not expecting one. They just play around with the narrative a bit. You're not going to find out John was Keyser Soze or anything! I think you can safely say you're still unspoiled.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a twist really. You'd be better off not expecting one. They just play around with the narrative a bit. You're not going to find out John was Keyser Soze or anything! I think you can safely say you're still unspoiled.
    Haha, cool. I'm close to the end so maybe I was imagining the mother of all twists!! No worries so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

NotorietyH wrote: »

AArrgghh, I thought it was.....You've totally spoiled it for me now, and I hadn't even taken the wrapper off.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

can anyone who has finished the game tell me the name of the song that plays once u finish the mission where
    Dutch Van Der Linde jumps of the cliff and commits suicide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ongarite

Compass by James Lidell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

When I got to the bit where John is killed I cursed myself as I thought I would have to do it again. Thankfully this didn't happen but his son annoys me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Finally got my hands on a copy of Red Dead Redemption today and i've played an hour of it.

I'm liking it so far but the horse riding takes a bit of getting used to especially with the stamina meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Just finished it this evening, didn't think it lived up to the hype at all, the story was really sluggish and just overall dull and boring, The last few missions
    on the ranch were just like the starting tutorial ones and had well outlived their novelty factor.
    I felt it was a chore to finish it to be honest... 6/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just finished this last night. Great game and loved the ending. Glad I'd managed to avoid the spoilers on it. Game stands at 99% complete now so will pick up that final percent over the weekend. The game really is something special. after playing for 40 hours or so I'm still coming across new random encounters which is amazing. The depth of the game is special, no doubt about it. Will be looking forward to the Co-Op DLC later in the month now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im having fierce trouble getting this us marshals uniform. I have done it twice now and still no joy. The first time the girl didnt survive in one of the hideouts so I presume thats why I didnt get it but the other time it went fine and I did it in time. Although I did die in Fort Mercer and then go back to finish it. Anyone else having difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Im having fierce trouble getting this us marshals uniform. I have done it twice now and still no joy. The first time the girl didnt survive in one of the hideouts so I presume thats why I didnt get it but the other time it went fine and I did it in time. Although I did die in Fort Mercer and then go back to finish it. Anyone else having difficulty?

You dying won't effect things, once you do it on time (24 hours on the in game clock)

You do have the final story mission done don't you? The uniform can't be obtained until after you do that. Oh and make sure you are not using fast travel!!!!! you need to go by horse to them all. If you are having problems with death use the horse deed save trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hmmm. This game is brilliant.

I'm in Mexico, just
    after letting the revolutionaries kill De Santa.

Just wondering, should I go Gold, and try out the multiplayer(Xbox, BTW). Its one of the first games that I'm even considering it for!

This is what I've been missing about games recently. Decent story, fun gaming, and I don't give a fiddlers about achievement/trophy whoring.

Has anyone noticed that if your going for the Master Hunter, the animals you're supposed to kill seem to go into hiding? Took me bloody ages to find those damn rabbits. And where can I find boars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Anybody got a good price for this game on PS3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    When I got to the bit where John is killed I cursed myself as I thought I would have to do it again. Thankfully this didn't happen but his son annoys me
    His son is also mean to the horse, it's kinda cool that when your breaking the law, killing and such he say he'll be joining his pa in hell and mentioning his father

Has anyone platinumed this or gotten 100% on the single player yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Cant wait to get this!!MMMM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Has anyone noticed that if your going for the Master Hunter, the animals you're supposed to kill seem to go into hiding? Took me bloody ages to find those damn rabbits. And where can I find boars?

Same happened me, only with beavers, then I googled a bit and found a 100% guaranteed spawn ;) But once I got to level 10 the buggers were everywhere :mad:

As for boars, if you are only in mexico then the best spot is north of Bonnie's ranch you will see them on the map if you zoom all the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Somebody on my friends list is only short the top rank in multiplayer trophy for platinum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

theShawzer wrote: »
    Somebody on my friends list is only short the top rank in multiplayer trophy for platinum

Considering that that's me, i kind of meant anyone else :D. I have been at 45 or 44 for the last week its ended up as just grinding xp on Solomon folly,finishing off trophies for killzone 2 and contemplating the 10 hour of FF13 that have earned me 5% of the trophies instead.

I was at 99.2% of the single player complete. Only had a few bounties left. Sold it there this weekend though so it'll be staying at 99.2 for a while yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I had to check gamefaqs because I thought that some of the last missions were rolling missions that never ended (due to their difficulty and what actually had to be done).

Absolutely great game, although some of the missions towards the end seemed like a bit of a chore.

My thoughts on the ending
    I really like the last stranger mission after the last story mission, I was really psyched up to get vengeance.

I don't have the same desire to 100% the game now that I have to play as Jack Marston, he's quite annoying, and I had really taken to John.

The song after Dutch commits suicide when you're riding back to the ranch was absolutely beautiful, it was a nice touch.

The ranch missions at the end were so boring.

Bittersweet ending really.

What are people's thoughts on "The Strange Man"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Anyone else find mexico the most repetitive mind numbing part of the game ?
    It's the only reason im not going to start a new game :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

For whatever reason, the PS3 version seems to produce far more demented little glitches than the Xbox counterpart.

Enjoying the roaming a lot. Missions could have been far better, and I agree with whoever said they feel too much like tutorials, for far too long. And yes, Mexico kinda blows.

Yeah Mexico is when I found it really starting to drag. I think it's just that it's the point where the "I'll tell you where the men you're looking for are if you just do this one thing," mission structure really started to get on my nerves. Didn't help that Marston kept complaining about the very same thing to whoever he was doing the mission with. Just made met think that they obviously knew it was a cruddy structure and they're actually mocking me with it!

My real big problem with the narrative is that pretty much every character is a two-dimension over the top caricature. Even Marston is pretty two-dimensioal. He doesn't change at all over the course of the story. When he arrives on scene first, hes already a changed man, having reformed his ways etc, so there's no narrative drive to follow his story. It always felt that we'd just arrived at the end of the story. For me it would have been much more interesting if you took part in some of Marston's days in the gang,
    then maybe did the farm missions, had the government visit
    then do maybe half of what the main story missions turned out to be. It would've be much more engaging to me to actually follow the story rather than just an endless progression of "I'll tell you where they are but first..." quests.

Pretty much every successful story, whether it's film or book deals with the main character changing because of the choices they make. It's what drives the drama and creates conlict, making the main character an interesting, complex character. John Marston at the start of the game has already made the only really major choice he's going to make, and his character doesn't progress any further than that. It kills the story in the game for me, and I really had no interest in the story and found it very disappointing. Didn't help that playing the game made me go back and rewatch Deadwood over the last few weeks. That's an amazing show, with amazing characters and Red Dead pales in comparison to the stories and characters in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

RDR has all the same problems of GTA games and i think its time for Rockstar to rethink the genre. Its a shame that the mainstream gaming press are so in love with them that they ignore the failings of this game.

My biggest gripe is that if John Marston is supposedly a tough badass why didnt he put a gun to the head of the first person who said "i know where those guys are, but go here and do this before i tell you" ? Added to that some of the most boring missions leads me to think that Rockstar are struggling to come up with ideas at this stage.

As ive said before the main enjoyment to be had in this game is by doing your own thing and avoiding the missions and the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think the problem is Rockstar focused too much on the single player.

Imagine the multiplayer where you could do half the stuff as ya do in the single. It feels too bland as it is right now, how could they not implement the poker/ liars dice/ horseshoes/ five-finger fillet as multi-player....not exactly hard to make poker playable online is it?? That and the actual game modes in MP are so very generic (deathmatch, capture the flag knock-offs). Wheres the mode where one team have to steal a mine cart while the other defended? Or one team of lawmen trying to stop the other team of bank robbers cracking the safe and making a break for it in a stagecoach?? They had a glut of interesting gamemodes in GTA4 but seemed to take a step back with RDR.

• Advertisement

That's what drives me nuts about all the perfect reviews scores and them all lauding the story as something ground-breaking, when the truth is it's got as much plot, narrative and character development as a frickin' Mario game. I'mserious too, you just have to look at it and make it John Marioston looking for the Princess rather than Bill, Javier and Dutch and it's basically an open world Mario western.

Not that it's a bad thing or anything like that and I'd be fine with it if that was their intention, but claiming it's the best story ever seen in a game with deep, complex characters as a lot of reviewers seem to be makes my eyes roll so much they've fallen inside my head and are now rolling around inside my skull.

I can think of nearly five games I've played this year that have had better characters and stories than Red Dead.

Advertisement