Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just finished it today, bought it on relase too, took me a long time :P

Epic ending though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Just finished it today, bought it on relase too, took me a long time :P

Epic ending though.

Great ending, but I hated
    continuing the game as his son
    ... It just didn't feel right:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Finished this game last week. Thought it was amazing. It really is GTA IV clone, if by 'GTA IV clone' you mean fantastic story, writing and characters in a huge, beautiful, open world with a compelling main quest, with multiple (completely optional) compelling side quests, mini-quests/games and completist tasks.

I absolutely loved playing through the game and would highly recommend it to everyone. Here's a couple of points :

- Played it on the PS3 so unfortunately I couldn't install the game, which meant lots of pop-ins.

- You'll encounter a fair few glitches, some are hilarious but they are numerous. Doesn't detract from how amazing the game is, though.

- I actually found the stranger quests
    (especially Clara, the pregnant woman, and Jenny, the missionary)
    to be more interesting in the main story; they have 3-4 points to the story arc and each one was interesting.

- Bounty Hunting was exhilarating, as you had to kill off the other bandits, and hogtie the bounty; his gun vs your lasso! It gets pretty hairy when you're trying to get your horse up a mountain so you can load the bounty onto the horse, while more bandits are on the way!

- You visit everywhere America in 1910 has to offer
    (the typical wild west, mexico during a revolution, the snowy mountain tops, the more industrialized future (Blackwater) of civilization) -- and how the theme of changing times, and those who embrace and deny change plays into the game is fantastic - the Native Americans, Marston, the Government, Dutch...

- The weather effects (morning bright, dusk, rain, snow etc) are all so beautiful, and really change the look of the landscape. Also love the different animals that inhabit the different areas. Flipped out when I first saw a
    grizzy bear
    galloping towards me!!

- Aside from the main quest, which is pretty straight-forward, the optional excursions
    (Stranger Missions, Treasure and Game hunting, jobs in the town, bounty hunting, mini-games, random attacks/situations eg a woman gets abducted)
    really flesh out the entire world. I can't think of anything else you could add. Everything you can do (apart from that, you perv!!) in the wild west, you can do in the game. Love playing Texas Hold 'em!

- Although the GTA IV design dock is getting a bit long in the tooth; I can't see how it could be any different -- the alternatives that spring to my mind would make for a worse game. Start of small with a clear objective; take missions from important characters, progress at your own pace, with more mini-games/stranger missions open up as you get farther in the game. The story has some interesting plot points but it pretty much always stays on course.

- There is a lot of horse-riding (unless you're willing to spend the cash on coaches) but I absolutely loved riding around and enjoying the scenery; much moreso than in Zelda's Wind-Waker, which is a much more desolate terrain to traverse.

- Not only do you see the game come to it's interesting conclusion, you get to see/play through what happens after that for a few hours. Fantastic touch.

All in all, a fantastic game on every account; although it doesn't revolutionize anything (apart from the Dead Eye Mechanic seen earlier in the series), every design aspect of the game is buffed to an immaculate sheen. It is an extremely well crafted game and a fine example of gaming as an art form; and with it's interactivity and plot-line, being superior to films IMO.

Just a small point about the finish of the main story :
    I was gutted and shocked when Marston died. The way it went into dead-eye was so empathic, knowing that you can't walk away alive from this. It also sets up the final quest, and it follows the theme in that eventually everyone will have to pay for their crimes (as Agent Ross does).

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the DLC for RDR has missions that can be played in either singleplayer or offline co-op? I hate online gaming!

Harrowing experience just trying to navigate the menus while online to get that free suit!

The currently available DLC is online only, but afaik there is some single player content on the way with the incredibly original theme of ZOMBIES...

*stifles a yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Finished this game last week. Thought it was amazing. It really is GTA IV clone, if by 'GTA IV clone' you mean fantastic story, writing and characters in a huge, beautiful, open world with a compelling main quest, with multiple (completely optional) compelling side quests, mini-quests/games and completist tasks.

I absolutely loved playing through the game and would highly recommend it to everyone. Here's a couple of points :

- Played it on the PS3 so unfortunately I couldn't install the game, which meant lots of pop-ins.

- You'll encounter a fair few glitches, some are hilarious but they are numerous. Doesn't detract from how amazing the game is, though.

- I actually found the stranger quests
    (especially Clara, the pregnant woman, and Jenny, the missionary)
    to be more interesting in the main story; they have 3-4 points to the story arc and each one was interesting.

- Bounty Hunting was exhilarating, as you had to kill off the other bandits, and hogtie the bounty; his gun vs your lasso! It gets pretty hairy when you're trying to get your horse up a mountain so you can load the bounty onto the horse, while more bandits are on the way!

- You visit everywhere America in 1910 has to offer
    (the typical wild west, mexico during a revolution, the snowy mountain tops, the more industrialized future (Blackwater) of civilization) -- and how the theme of changing times, and those who embrace and deny change plays into the game is fantastic - the Native Americans, Marston, the Government, Dutch...

- The weather effects (morning bright, dusk, rain, snow etc) are all so beautiful, and really change the look of the landscape. Also love the different animals that inhabit the different areas. Flipped out when I first saw a
    grizzy bear
    galloping towards me!!

- Aside from the main quest, which is pretty straight-forward, the optional excursions
    (Stranger Missions, Treasure and Game hunting, jobs in the town, bounty hunting, mini-games, random attacks/situations eg a woman gets abducted)
    really flesh out the entire world. I can't think of anything else you could add. Everything you can do (apart from that, you perv!!) in the wild west, you can do in the game. Love playing Texas Hold 'em!

- Although the GTA IV design dock is getting a bit long in the tooth; I can't see how it could be any different -- the alternatives that spring to my mind would make for a worse game. Start of small with a clear objective; take missions from important characters, progress at your own pace, with more mini-games/stranger missions open up as you get farther in the game. The story has some interesting plot points but it pretty much always stays on course.

- There is a lot of horse-riding (unless you're willing to spend the cash on coaches) but I absolutely loved riding around and enjoying the scenery; much moreso than in Zelda's Wind-Waker, which is a much more desolate terrain to traverse.

- Not only do you see the game come to it's interesting conclusion, you get to see/play through what happens after that for a few hours. Fantastic touch.

All in all, a fantastic game on every account; although it doesn't revolutionize anything (apart from the Dead Eye Mechanic seen earlier in the series), every design aspect of the game is buffed to an immaculate sheen. It is an extremely well crafted game and a fine example of gaming as an art form; and with it's interactivity and plot-line, being superior to films IMO.

Just a small point about the finish of the main story :
    I was gutted and shocked when Marston died. The way it went into dead-eye was so empathic, knowing that you can't walk away alive from this. It also sets up the final quest, and it follows the theme in that eventually everyone will have to pay for their crimes (as Agent Ross does).

Well somebody certainly liked this game!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

My 2 favourite moments from the game are

Jose Gonzalez playing when you arrive in Mexico, it really caught the mood and had a great atmosphere to it

and "I implore you" at the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

compelling main quest, with multiple (completely optional) compelling side quests, mini-quests/games and completist tasks.

MADNESS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I enjoyed RDR. Picked it up at launch and have about 94 odd % complete, have to do the Marksman lvl 10 challenge and the survivalist lvl 10 challenge and im not sure what else I have to do.

Might go back to try and finish what I have left to get, enjoyed the game from start to finish and couldnt put it down when I first got it.

gavredking wrote: »
    I enjoyed RDR. Picked it up at launch and have about 94 odd % complete, have to do the Marksman lvl 10 challenge and the survivalist lvl 10 challenge and im not sure what else I have to do.

Might go back to try and finish what I have left to get, enjoyed the game from start to finish and couldnt put it down when I first got it.

Join the Rockstar social club within the game then go to http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/checklist.html for a handy 100% checklist... I would've given up on ever getting 100% without it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

tman wrote: »
    Join the Rockstar social club within the game then go to http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/checklist.html for a handy 100% checklist... I would've given up on ever getting 100% without it!

Cheers. Will be sure to have a look and try acheive 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quick Travel?

Good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can quick travel from your camp and if you don't want to use a lot of money on coaches have a high stats it's free or you can just shoot the guy after and get your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

But what would be the point?
    I enjoyed riding around, it's one of the game's selling features.

Kept humming the following song while riding into the sunset:

But what would be the point?
    I enjoyed riding around, it's one of the game's selling features.

Seriously??? I played the game for the best part of 36 hours... I'd say that time would have almost doubled if I hadn't used quick travel at all!!!
    It can be nice just taking a leisurely canter across the land, but it wears thin after a while...

I had to play this one more than once while riding around.....

Metallica do a great version of it on S&M

As nice as it was at the start of the game..

Riding to different places across the map is just head wrecking.. Even if you only have to do it once during a mission!! soo annoying!!

Without quick travel I prob would have given up on the game!!

But then again, in saying that.. in a game like GTA you gotta drive across the map sometimes just to start a mission and that didnt seem so bad.. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cant wait for the zombie DLC

A new trailer for the Zombeh DLC has just been released;
    http://kotaku.com/5652193/red-dead-redemptions-undead-nightmare-comes-to-life
    ZOMBIE BEARS!!!!!111!

ZOMBIE BEARS!!!!!111!

hahaha!!!!

That looks so amazing!!! :eek:

Loads more fun to be had!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Advertkriz

Just wondering if anyone is selling a copy of this game ,will pay 20 euro and collect in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Advertkriz wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is selling a copy of this game ,will pay 20 euro and collect in dublin.

Have a look on www.adverts.ie maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Im ashamed to say i havent really put time into the game yet and ive the 2 dlc s already bought and planning on the next 2.The zombies look good though, might be sick of em after dead rising though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have they any plans to release more single player DLC after the zombies dlc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ZOMBIE BEARS!!!!!111!

That looks deadly (forgive the pun) Any idea when it will be released?.

That looks deadly (forgive the pun) Any idea when it will be released?.

I would bet money on it being released before Halloween, so in a the few weeks.
    Have they any plans to release more single player DLC after the zombies dlc?

Unfortunately i think this is the 4th of the 4 DLC support for red dead, so i doubt it. I really hope i'm wrong as i'm a huge fan of single player DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I bought it last week, and im loving it. Im only at about 7% though. I have one question, what quick travel? and how do ya do it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Mackman wrote: »
    I bought it last week, and im loving it. Im only at about 7% though. I have one question, what quick travel? and how do ya do it? :o

Set a marker on the map to where you want to go. Then set up a camp and 'travel to destination'. This can't be done during missions though.

Mackman wrote: »
    I bought it last week, and im loving it. Im only at about 7% though. :o

Wish I was starting again for the first time *reminisces*

Wish I was starting again for the first time *reminisces*

As much as I enjoyed the game.. I'm really glad I'm not!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

hypermuse wrote: »
    But then again, in saying that.. in a game like GTA you gotta drive across the map sometimes just to start a mission and that didnt seem so bad.. :confused:

You had a radio on GTA.

Advertisement