Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haven't played this in a while,might throw it on tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

I have the 'Legend of the west' trophy.

If you or anyone wants a hand with trophies i'll be on some evenings this week (my psn is antidark777), just shoot me an invite and i'll add you when im online. My mic isnt realy working though
    Haven't played this in a while,might throw it on tonight :)

Excellent I'll add you both, thanks! My PSN ID is: WJT1804 ill be on this evening :)
    Anyone else up for some RDR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Excellent I'll add you both, thanks! My PSN ID is: WJT1804 ill be on this evening :)
    Anyone else up for some RDR?

I'll be on tonight if u want a hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Undead Nightmare for sale in the Playstation store for €5.99 at the moment.
    Undead + Liars pack is €12.99 - available until Sunday 3rd July.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Might be able to get online tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Never complted this, worth re-buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

marko93 wrote: »
    Never complted this, worth re-buying?

How far did u get into it? Did you get to
    Blackwood (the industrious city - ie cobblestone roads, brick houses etc)?
    If so then ur far into the game and I'd just recommend watching the ending on youtube or at most just renting for a weekend to complete. Something tells me u weren't enamoured with it if u played it for a while and gave it back. Maybe if u only just made it to Mexico then it'd be worth your time.

Personally i think it's an awesome game but as much as I enjoyed the DLC, i thought it was quite repetitive.

IMO just rent it or just get a new game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

For anyone thats interested its quadruple points this weekend on multiplayer to celebrate 4th of july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

jaykhunter wrote: »
    How far did u get into it? Did you get to
    Blackwood (the industrious city - ie cobblestone roads, brick houses etc)?
    If so then ur far into the game and I'd just recommend watching the ending on youtube or at most just renting for a weekend to complete. Something tells me u weren't enamoured with it if u played it for a while and gave it back. Maybe if u only just made it to Mexico then it'd be worth your time.

Personally i think it's an awesome game but as much as I enjoyed the DLC, i thought it was quite repetitive.

IMO just rent it or just get a new game :)
    I only got into Mexico! I really got rid of it because of my leaving cert.. Just got rid of games that took up too much time!

marko93 wrote: »
    I only got into Mexico! I really got rid of it because of my leaving cert.. Just got rid of games that took up too much time!

Yeah, get it, why not! Should be cheap enough now. Or at least rent for a few days and finish it. Great story; I personally enjoyed the three-story arcs of the side-missions most. Wrote a glowing review of it here. I don't like westerns but i thought the game was beautiful in every respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just wondering if Undead Nightmare is worth getting? I loved the main game, maybe not so much for the gameplay (which was still fantastic) but the whole storyline, setting, atmosphere was just so engrossing.

Having looked up trailers and videos for Undead Nightmare, to be honest, it doesn't look that appealing. Is it worth playing through?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Barrington wrote: »
    Just wondering if Undead Nightmare is worth getting? I loved the main game, maybe not so much for the gameplay (which was still fantastic) but the whole storyline, setting, atmosphere was just so engrossing.

Having looked up trailers and videos for Undead Nightmare, to be honest, it doesn't look that appealing. Is it worth playing through?

I loved RDR for pretty much the same reasons as you. To be honest I wasn't that fussed about Undead Nightmare just because the story was a bit crap. But it wasn't meant to be the same sort of thing as the main game. I'd save my money and wait for Dead Island.

I do hope they bring out another DLC storyline though, more like the main story.

dmaxontour wrote: »
    I loved RDR for pretty much the same reasons as you. To be honest I wasn't that fussed about Undead Nightmare just because the story was a bit crap. But it wasn't meant to be the same sort of thing as the main game. I'd save my money and wait for Dead Island.

I do hope they bring out another DLC storyline though, more like the main story.

I read the other day on the gameinformer website that they were bringing out more dlc,I hope its story based and not multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

So pissed off right now...
    Threw on Red dead this eve for some multiplayer and got a message that i had a corrupted save file or something and have lost everything.

I was a 3rd prestige level 38 and now i've been kicked back to lev 1 with a donkey and a ****ty pistol...Many,many hours of gameplay gone:mad::mad:

I didn't back up the files and apparantly theres nothing i can do.....

AAAAAARGHH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Undead Nightmare is very much worth playing. Very different game, in a very different spirit - without shops, there's a wee bit more scrounging for ammo required - but it's a lot of fun and the frequent hat-tips to the main game plotline made me laugh out loud more than once.

Worth a rent, at least.

falan wrote: »
    So pissed off right now...
    Threw on Red dead this eve for some multiplayer and got a message that i had a corrupted save file or something and have lost everything.

I was a 3rd prestige level 38 and now i've been kicked back to lev 1 with a donkey and a ****ty pistol...Many,many hours of gameplay gone:mad::mad:

I didn't back up the files and apparantly theres nothing i can do.....

AAAAAARGHH!!

Well that was a ****ty thing to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

undead nightmare is a tenner in xtra vision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Well that was a ****ty thing to happen

Sure was, all my golden guns that i worked hard to achieve etc. One day i was looking forward to having my own zebra donkey:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Any talk of a sequel yet? This game is the only reason I have a PS3!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

I doubt it and if there is anything it won't be for a long time because GTA5 was only officially announced last week so that'll be R*s focus for the next while along with Max Payne 3

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure i read that a sequel had been confirmed soon after RDR was a smashing success. But i'd imagine it's at least 4 years off; as theShawzer said with GTA V just having been announced. I dunno what they could do with RDR2 really, they've already done
    the wild west, mexico, new, burgeoning technology (brick houses, trains, cars), the wilderness and mountain tops.
    . If they just had a new story in the same setting it'd be quite a let down, ya know?

I'd prefer to see a prequel, when Marston was riding with Dutch and the gang. I think that could be interesting.

I'm fairly sure i read that a sequel had been confirmed soon after RDR was a smashing success. But i'd imagine it's at least 4 years off; as theShawzer said with GTA V just having been announced. I dunno what they could do with RDR2 really, they've already done
    the wild west, mexico, new, burgeoning technology (brick houses, trains, cars), the wilderness and mountain tops.
    . If they just had a new story in the same setting it'd be quite a let down, ya know?

Yeah, I know what you mean. They kinda through the kitchen sink at RDR, it was near-perfection. But then again, GTA is the same thing over and over, bar a new city and decade. Apart from GTA IV, it seems to have worked, so far.

Plus, there are tonnes of new things they could add. Some suggestions I saw on the internet:
    Gun Customization: Back in the old west, you lived and you died by the gun. That means these people came up with more than a few versions of firearms. Why not be able to upgrade calibers of weapons? and what about special weapons like a Derringer or the gun from Quigley Down Under? In fact, i'm sure they can come up w/ some creative new weapons as well.

Companions/Sidekicks: The Lone Ranger had Tonto, so why can't you get a sidekick as well that you can call upon? The trails are long and lonely, and hardly anybody ever rode alone at all times. It only makes sense to have some backup.

Ranching: The ranching missions were pretty easy and sort of enjoyable, why not have the choice of helping run a ranch? The ranch would also serve as a way to make some extra cash.

Swimming: I remember how pissed i was when i figured out you couldn't swim in Vice City. And it was the same thing w/ RDR. Its not asking a lot for a guy to know how to swim.

Player Customization: This will be a big one, but its worked for Saint's Row and Mass Effect, why not have the next story center around a young up-and-coming gunslinger. After all, John Marston wasn't in Red Dead Revolver, so its not that big of a deal. Lets create our own character and make our own story in the wild west.

Indians: Am i the only one who noticed that there were hardly any indians in RDR? How about getting Crazy Horse a little screen time next go around ok? maybe even have a little cowboys and indians minigame/multiplayer action.

Trading: bartering and trading was a huge part of the economy in the old west, so it made no sense that RDR didn't have it as an option. It would be cool to trade with other citizens, as well as indians. "Hey chief, here's some firewater, now you mind if i have some of that gold?"

Gold/Mining/Treasure: The treasure part of RDR wasn't as fulfilling as it sounds, plus you can't really mine or anything, all you do is follow a map. Lets try and improve on that.

Western Legends: The whole time i played RDR, i wondered to myself "why are there no famous people in this game?" It would be awesome if they could throw in Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Clay Allison, Doc Holliday, Tom Horn, Bat Masterson, Wild Bill Hickok, Jesse James, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or even fictional legends like The Man with No Name, The Magnificent Seven, Pecos Bill, Bret Maverick, and so on. It would definitely lend some genuine legend to the story. Imagine being a young gunslinger running into Wyatt Earp in Dodge City.

Saloons, Saloons, Saloons: If you were a man in the old west, you went to the saloon for a good time, in RDR, all you could do was play a few games and take 3 or 4 shots before you stumbled around drunk. Now i think the ability to have a barfight would be awesome, and maybe even throw in a security/bouncer minigame. Also, maybe if a cowboy wants a little female companionship, he should be able to go pay for some.

Trains: All you get to do is ride the train...why can't you rob it? It only makes sense to me that this would be one of the most fun things to do in the old west.

Posses: Back in the old days, you could round up a posse to go after a bounty or to get some revenge or just shoot out the lights in town to have some fun. Like in a lot of other games, you should be able to recruit some "assistance" when you feel the need to.

Boats: the big wrecked ship in the game is the closest you come to a riverboat. now after that, why not have a riverboat saloon or ferry?

Clothes: The old west wasn't exactly fashion week in Paris, but you should still have more choices than the last game. Also, i don't remember people in the old west unlocking clothes, they just went in the store and bought them....or they stole it from someone else. Also how about some fur clothes? I mean if i get to kill a buffalo, i want to wear it, not sell it to the general store.

Plenty of possibilities.
    I'd prefer to see a prequel, when Marston was riding with Dutch and the gang. I think that could be interesting.

Good idea. Perhaps playing as Dutch?

The prequel is very interesting - although the terrains will be identical; unless it took place in a different city. Those suggestions all sound fine but they're more refinements additions rather than the thrust of a new story... I'd worry about CPU co-op as it could go south like Resi 5... But a posse heeling out robbing trains sounds great.

What about having it in a different continent? I know cowboys is an american thing, but Marston & Co could have adventures in Europe or Asia, etc? Just hop on a spice ship.

The prequel is very interesting - although the terrains will be identical; unless it took place in a different city. Those suggestions all sound fine but they're more refinements additions rather than the thrust of a new story... I'd worry about CPU co-op as it could go south like Resi 5... But a posse heeling out robbing trains sounds great.

What about having it in a different continent? I know cowboys is an american thing, but Marston & Co could have adventures in Europe or Asia, etc? Just hop on a spice ship.

It could be set a few decades earlier, too. No need to revive the Marston story, just a new one like the GTA series does. Loads of potential settings here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Old_West

I also thought breeding horses would be a good one, like Chocobos in FF VII.

Oh how I would love for a red dead 2 to announced

It could be set a few decades earlier, too. No need to revive the Marston story, just a new one like the GTA series does. Loads of potential settings here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Old_West I also thought breeding horses would be a good one, like Chocobos in FF VII.

Spat my tea out reading that! LOL

Cool i'll have a read through of that wiki page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How about bringing in the whole native american thing, would be interesting to rob from the white man etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Best Wild West setting IMO is that era from around the end of the Civil War to the end of the Sioux Wars (from about 1864-1878). You have the brutality of the Civil War and the destruction of cities that it brought and also the renewed conflicts with the Native American tribes after the war as Manifest Destiny was forcefully implemented.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure a sequel would work it have to thought out very carefully,I would like to see a game they john is roaming with the dutch gang as a poster above me said :)

Advertisement