Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

saiint wrote: »
    ending made me cry :( why oh why god

Actually reached the ending now.

Meh. Predictable. Cool song however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Actually reached the ending now.

Meh. Predictable. Cool song however

I was actually amazed by the fact that they
    killed off the main character and more so by the fact there was more after it
    sure it was obvious when you got close to the event but no way was it telegraphed early in the game imo.

calex71 wrote: »
    I was actually amazed by the fact that they
    killed off the main character and more so by the fact there was more after it
    sure it was obvious when you got close to the event but no way was it telegraphed early in the game imo.

Ah honestly I expected it all along. I thought it was formulaic -
    It's like in every movie you see with an assassin - they always use a line that goes something like 'whats the first thing you do after hiring an assassin - assassinate the assassin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I was kind of expecting the ending purely because I had had to look on Youtube for a tutorial on how to do a duel without getting your head blown off every time and
    the guy doing the video was controlling Jack

I was still blown away by the ending though. I can't think of many studios which would have the balls to do that ending.

Definitely not something I'd consider criticising as "Meh. Predictable"!

Is this one of those games where the original ending was hated by fans so they redid the ending ?

• Advertisement

Nope. Why? The ending is great.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Nope. Why? The ending is great.

Oh I jsut thought I read that but I might have been thinking of another game!

I think the ending surprised a lot of people and there was negativity about the fact that
    you then had to play out the final few levels as a far less likeable character. But there were plenty of mentions of the ending of RDR in the thread about moving gaming moments, for example. For me the tragedy of the ending isn't John's death it's that a lot of what he was doing was for his son, for whom he wanted a better future and yet ultimately John's death leads Jack to follow in his father's footsteps as a killer. The game is called Red Dead Redemption but there's no redemption for John at all.

Does the Undead DLC have decent storylines ?

It's worth a buy if it's cheap. It picks the story up six months after
    John's death
    and brings back a lot of the characters from the main story. My only issue with it was that it ended suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Does the Undead DLC have decent storylines ?

I can't really remember the story line but...

It's freaking zombies in the wild west!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think the ending surprised a lot of people and there was negativity about the fact .....

I didn't know John would die until the bastards were filling me with holes :p Jack is a bit of a gimpy character I did however kill your man, his brother and his wife with the high powered pistol he give John. I liked the poetic justice of it :P

Also liked the side missions of the dark stranger and found the last meeting with him at the homestead most intriguing.

Undead is worth a play but has a short story line and just dies off a bit, no pun intended :p

Also liked the side missions of the dark stranger and found the last meeting with him at the homestead most intriguing.

I could not find the first guy he sent me to find in the thiefs town place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Finished Undead during the week.
    I enjoyed it apart from the ending which just came out of the blue really.
    For DLC you can't really argue with it, especially the price you would get it for now.
    There's more gameplay in it than a lot of complete games. I picked up Medal Of Honour Warfighter on Tuesday afternoon, had it finished that evening which is shocking value unless it has a decent multiplayer... it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Lost my entire Sunday to this game. Got to Mexico and everything. You're a bunch of dicks for making me buy it :P

it was on reaching Mexico riding down a ravine into the sunset when that neil young/ America type song kicks in specifically composed for the game too I think; realized how sweet a game this was I put it off on it's release to avoid hype / expectations but when I got around to it a year later very much did appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

it was on reaching Mexico riding down a ravine into the sunset when that neil young/ America type song kicks in specifically composed for the game too I think; realized how sweet a game this was I put it off on it's release to avoid hype / expectations but when I got around to it a year later very much did appreciate it
    Jose Gonzales - Far Away.
    One of the best moments in any game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

weird, it's when I got to mexico I just got sick of the game and stopped playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

weird, it's when I got to mexico I just got sick of the game and stopped playing

I thought it fizzled out in Mexico too tbh. Still enjoyed it, but not a patch on the earlier stuff in America.

Its strung out a little too much. There is a bit too much of being every guys bitch and doing their dirty work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Me too but as per my thread bump earlier that's exactly where I picked it up again and have realised again how brilliant it is.

Playing continuously it does wear thin after reaching Mexico. But returning to it after a break makes it feel really fresh again.

• Advertisement

maybe you got bored of it; had a digby chicken seizure n threw away your controller like a big Angus Young type manchild because it's worth continuing with.

Problem with the Mexico stuff (which is where I'm up to at the moment) is that everything is really spaced out out there so you seem to spend more than half of your time riding from a to b and the terrain isn't as interesting as the US stuff is.

Of course you can skip straight to the destination using the campsite but I'd guess that most people don't.

Personally I enjoy all the travelling in the game, but I could see how others might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Its strung out a little too much. There is a bit too much of being every guys bitch and doing their dirty work

It has a purpose though. Youre doing favours for people to get information on the whereabout of your former gang. Some people betray you along the way or play you for a fool. Such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Problem with the Mexico stuff (which is where I'm up to at the moment) is that everything is really spaced out out there so you seem to spend more than half of your time riding from a to b and the terrain isn't as interesting as the US stuff is.

Of course you can skip straight to the destination using the campsite but I'd guess that most people don't.

Personally I enjoy all the travelling in the game, but I could see how others might not.

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Jose Gonzales - Far Away.
    One of the best moments in any game.
    Absolutely loved that. In fact, this whole game is one of the best I've ever played.

Watched a friend play it for a while after I finished though. Excruciating. He got to Mexico and I was giddy with excitement for him as the music started to play and this beautiful gaming moment started to unfold... and he barely seemed to notice. Got off the horse to pick a flower or something.. music stopped.

NO!! YOU'RE ENJOYING IT ALL WRONG!!! :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Goodshape wrote: »
    NO!! YOU'RE ENJOYING IT ALL WRONG!!! :(:(
    I must have done it wrong too. I don't remember the song at all. From reading and hearing people talk about how great getting to Mexico was, I was underwhelmed when nothing happened.

When I try to remember how it happened, I picture having a shootout from a moving raft with Irish, and then riding up and over a dirt path. Maybe I too stopped to pick a herb.

It was just a nice moment. though Ive noticed people waxing on about it being a greatest moment in gaming history on youtube; wouldn't go that far if though people were that turned off by it instead of the spur it proved to be for so many I would be very surprised..

or was it mexico I general. either way it's not right to deprive onself returning to amerca to a greater extent if you enjoyed that part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

With Mexico, I think it's because deep down we can't or wont accept different cultures. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah the song was just a nice, unexpected, moment. Overall the Mexican side of the game was slightly deflating after the great time I had in the US before it, but not at all enough to stop me playing. And the payoff is well worth it.

For me this game was possibly the most I've invested in or cared about the characters and story. Usually I prefer the player character to be a bit of a blank slate.. and the story open-ended (think Elder Scrolls) but in red dead I didn't mind. I wanted to be this guy and see his story unfold. In Mexico I think he changed a bit.. I didn't like him as much and that made it a little more of a chore, when I may not agree with his motives.

Just a bit, though. Still a bloody great game.

• Advertisement

:eek:
    You can ? I didn't know that. So much wasted time :mad:

It has a purpose though. Youre doing favours for people to get information on the whereabout of your former gang. Some people betray you along the way or play you for a fool. Such is life.

Well John.......you were kind of everybodies fool......I mean burning out villages in Mexico ffs.....you were just a hired goon

Advertisement