Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

On one hand, it looks good, but on the other hand, this is R*, and their trailers are always full of cinematic camera angles and **** that you never see in-game so the trailers always look fantastically better then the actual game does. Couple that with the hype surrounding any R* game and you generally get a could of bull**** surrounding any of their releases that wont clear until a few weeks later when people have played it and can give you a real review. I might hold off for now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GamesTM (one of the few magizines i actually read) gave it 9/10, and said its absolutly brilliant. Also said the story was very good.

They did give GTA4 10/10 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kiith wrote: »
    GamesTM (one of the few magizines i actually read) gave it 9/10, and said its absolutly brilliant. Also said the story was very good.

They did give GTA4 10/10 though.

Yeah but I think when GTA came out, it was almost the first of its kind so reviews were always going to be unusually high, but seeing as sandbox third persons are now a norm, I'm thinking (hoping) that this would be a more accurate reflection of RDR against its peers, as opposed to when GTA was standing on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

On one hand, it looks good, but on the other hand, this is R*, and their trailers are always full of cinematic camera angles and **** that you never see in-game so the trailers always look fantastically better then the actual game does. Couple that with the hype surrounding any R* game and you generally get a could of bull**** surrounding any of their releases that wont clear until a few weeks later when people have played it and can give you a real review. I might hold off for now.
    Competely true. They have a knack of making their games seem more essential than bread and butter on your table but when you actually play them they are pretty much all the same.

They always have a fancy new engine that promises the earth, but never delivers.

For example, you read a preview of the game somewhere and everything sounds fantastic, then you watch gameplay footage and it is really hard to see the magic.

That said i think the hype has won me over and i cant wait to get hunting the animals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Competely true. They have a knack of making their games seem more essential than bread and butter on your table but when you actually play them they are pretty much all the same.

They always have a fancy new engine that promises the earth, but never delivers.

For example, you read a preview of the game somewhere and everything sounds fantastic, then you watch gameplay footage and it is really hard to see the magic.

That said i think the hype has won me over and i cant wait to get hunting the animals

The only games I ever see R* hyping allot are the GTA games (and now this). Yes, GTA4 wasn't as great as the reviews made out to be, but GTA3, GTA:VC and GTA:SA all lived up to expectations in my opinion.

So I think it's a bit harsh to say they never deliver just because of GTA4 (which was a fantastic technical achievement imo). I'm not saying R* haven't had other bad games, but they never really hyped them as AAA games (like State of Emergency).

This kinda reminds me of Eamon Dunphy, saying how great a player/team is, but as soon as they have one bad game, they're ****e :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It looks really good tbh.

I actually liked GTA4.I think it's a good game but it's just nowhere near as good as GTA3,Vice City and San Andreas.Even if this is similar to GTA4, it's still worth buying imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

titan18 wrote: »
    It looks really good tbh.

I actually liked GTA4.I think it's a good game but it's just nowhere near as good as GTA3,Vice City and San Andreas.Even if this is similar to GTA4, it's still worth buying imo.

Ya, I loved playing through GTA 4. Got 100% in it too. Tried the multiplayer but didnt like it. I hope that the multi in RDR is as good as it seems in the videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

The new RDR South Park trailer....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I had some fantastic fun with GTA4's multiplayer when it was launched. I still remember that Cops'n'Crooks match with the boards.ie lads, where we were the last crook across a bridge, when he jumped into the water. Queue 4 cops jumping in after him and having a frantic swimming match to the shore. Not to mention the many drive by shootings. Great fun.

Can't wait to try this multiplayer. Now the only question is...PS3 or 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So it looks like the PS3 is getting some exclusive content:

20100513140728.jpg

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    The only games I ever see R* hyping allot are the GTA games (and now this). Yes, GTA4 wasn't as great as the reviews made out to be, but GTA3, GTA:VC and GTA:SA all lived up to expectations in my opinion.

So I think it's a bit harsh to say they never deliver just because of GTA4 (which was a fantastic technical achievement imo). I'm not saying R* haven't had other bad games, but they never really hyped them as AAA games (like State of Emergency).

This kinda reminds me of Eamon Dunphy, saying how great a player/team is, but as soon as they have one bad game, they're ****e :P
    I think the hype created by both them and magazines creates an absolute impossible goal to meet the expectations, i always feel that their next game will be the magnum opus of gaming. As i feel now about red dead.

When gta4 came out i stupidly was expecting a life changing event, i bought into the hype that much. That in my opinion is extremely effective marketing and they are doing it again.

Benzino wrote: »

I think the hype created by both them and magazines creates an absolute impossible goal to meet the expectations, i always feel that their next game will be the magnum opus of gaming. As i feel now about red dead.

When gta4 came out i stupidly was expecting a life changing event, i bought into the hype that much. That in my opinion is extremely effective marketing and they are doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That sounds class, good find man! Wonder if it only applies to SP or online?

Heard Sony are finally making a profit off the PS3 so maybe they can start affording exclusivities like they are getting a good few things for UFC 2010 that xbox aren't getting.

Roll on this game!!!! Any of ye see the gameplay footage that leaked on youtube? John in walking round, then going to dleep in a small house/hotel, changes clothes then goes mental and starts shooting everyone. Was class!

The main problems I had with GTA was the story (found it a chore to make it to the end with uninteresting missions) and driving (which isn't in red dead, i think, so shouldn't be a problem.

I love the western backdrop and sure the story will be fine. As long as the game is fun to play, I don't mind. The online really has potential but I remember my and the lads got GTA 4, were on it nearly every night for 3 weeks and couldn't join any games together, was a complete balls and everyone just gave up. Hope this goes more smoothly

Stream of RDR being played is up right now on:

http://www.evaxephon.com/stream/

Looks so class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

just seen it, chap was in a race and smoke was the arrows so to speak

Im sick of races in every free roaming game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

watching the live feed now, he has stopped playing and banning people on the live feed.

on a seperate note, the full game has been leaked to the internet for cracked xbox360 users, OH DEAR!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The PS3 exclusive outfit

6278.reddeadheader.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Is that a joke? I will never be wearing that 'costume'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I dont know. It looks kinda funny. I think its an online only costume.. I am not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

sheehy83 wrote: »

Check this youtube vid for 5 mins of gameplay (First 5 buy he looks of it);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v76t2XukgPI dead now, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Couldn't agree more. In fact I think they are the best company in the gaming industry at marketing. Just take GTA4 again. R* actually made press releases saying when they were going to release a trailer of the game! 99% of developers just release the trailer, thats it, but not with R*.

I think they released all the trailers at midnight, and I remember gametrailers going down after they put up one of the videos. The GTA4 site was still up, but sooooooooo slow. I mean that's just ridiculous when you think about, all just for a 1 minute trailer with no in game footage!

Just imagine if they released the game through stream at the same time as the console versions, the servers would have melted down :D

Yupp R* really have it made but to be fair, they have released some of the best and influential games. Okay, GTA 4 was complete 50/50 with fans (well all my friends hated it but seen enough people online that love it). But that RAGE engine was something else and world was incredible. I know what R* are capable of so I have to be psyched for this game.

Now that its leaked, There should be some user reviews going round the web. I just really hope the MP is stable this year and I can actually have a game with the lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Got this game on pre-order since January and really getting stoked coming up to it's release.

Just after watching 3:10 to Yuma and I would thoroughly recommend watching a few westerns to set yourself in the right mood for next Friday.

Favourite quote from movie: "The day I die, I’m gettin’ sprung from hell.”

I'm watching the best stream for the last 2 hours (in work so nothing better to do)

http://www.livestream.com/kozlov

doesnt seem to be getting taken down. only 50 can view it so wait in the lobby and press play when it goes under 50 viewing.

He hog tied a woman put her on his hose and rode into the desert. Then he put her down on train tracks and a train hit her, she exploded with blood and he got an achievement, cant wait for this game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

He hog tied a woman put her on his hose and rode into the desert.

Ha - I thought we had another Hot Coffee moment there. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm watching the best stream for the last 2 hours (in work so nothing better to do)

http://www.livestream.com/kozlov

doesnt seem to be getting taken down. only 50 can view it so wait in the lobby and press play when it goes under 50 viewing.

He hog tied a woman put her on his hose and rode into the desert. Then he put her down on train tracks and a train hit her, she exploded with blood and he got an achievement, cant wait for this game!!

Haha thats brilliant cant wait for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Just found this a while ago . Heard some footage was leaked and well google done the rest !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntqZ-KbNic&feature=player_embedded#!

Its not my video or anything

Advertisement