Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH ORAL 2010

Options
  • 08-04-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey I am wondering does anybody have an oral notes on the problems of the church and topics that where in the news recently and that could be asked? :confused:
    Oral's are in less than a week, would really help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Theres no way they're gonna ask about the church. For current events it'll be the recession, the health system and something else I can't think of at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

The teachers in the other classes in my school told them to know the church and my grinds teacher did too? I haven't grinds again till next Tuesday and that is when my oral is so I cant get any notes? Maybe you should know a little something just in case, because it is to do with our religion, i.e. the catholic church?

Are you honours or Pass?

Honours, how bout you?

Im doing pass but my oral is good enough for honours :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

DGRulz wrote: »
    Im doing pass but my oral is good enough for honours :).

So have you covered a lot of current issues in your pass class? We really didn't. Teacher gave us good notes on everything else, but we really only have the recession covered for the oral.

Cool ... My oral averages about a C in both my practices I did! I would love to get a B! Because I need a C3 in irish and I am absolutely useless at it!! :(

Not really. She put a few thngs up on the board and I learnt it off. Problem w/ drugs recession, refugees ect.

MariaBabii wrote: »
    Cool ... My oral averages about a C in both my practices I did! I would love to get a B! Because I need a C3 in irish and I am absolutely useless at it!! :(

Just be positive, you can definitely get a B if you got C's in your other mock orals. Just keep twisting the conversation to suit the notes you've learned! You'll be grand :)

Thanks, lets hope so! I got a D1 all together in my mocks! So I just need to improve my oral and tape, and actually learn the Stair na Gaeilge :P Lol ...

• Advertisement

Haha you'll be grand anyway! Yeah I'm terrible at tape too, fairly bad in German aswell ha. Dya know most people just leave out the stair na Gaeilge question cause it's not really worth that many marks, and they could be spending their time learning other sections theyre better at? I thought that was mad ha

Ehhm yeah i kinda did dat!! It was only the mocks, so i do aim to know the Stair na Gaeilge for the leaving!!! How many points did you get in your mocks? I take it you are doing honours irish then, cos the stair na gaeilge? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Hey, I have a few notes on the whole church issue, if you PM me I'll write them back in a few hours when I get home.

Thankyou :D .. I PM'd you there!

Nah I'm actually pass now, I was in honours but just had to change. I'm quite good at talking in Irish, but I could NOT handle An Triail. I didn't know what was going on. I just have a lot of friends that do Honours. If I had known about the fact that often people left out Stair na Gaeilge I probably woulda kept on honours. Glad I didn't though really, cause I never actually liked Irish before I moved to Pass. I pure love Irish now!:D And just like DGRulz, I'm pass but my oral is good enough for honours :) And I got 78% in the mocks! But ye're marked harder obviously anyway I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

my teacher told us if they ask about the church to say

"Is protistuil me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

The Church is so controversial, they mightent ask it. For example, our teacher gets us to watch the Nuacht, but I never do. So when shes going around the class asking what we heard, I immediatly reply "scannal na hEaglaise". She gets all red and flustered and doesn't grill me on it like she does to everyone else, because she won't talk about it!

if he asks me about the Church, what I'll say is
    "Is rud úfásach é, ar ndóigh. Blianta ó shin, nuair a bhí cumhacht iomlán ag an Eaglais, bhíodh (slipping in the aimsir gnáthcainte, oh ya!) roinnt sagairt ag míúsáid páistí neamhúrchóideacha. Cheilt na hEaspaig é. Ba fáinne fí é. Chuir sé déistin ar chroí na ndaoine. Tharla sé i ngach paróiste, i ngach baile, fiú sa bhaile mór seo."

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

They couldn't ask about the church it's too controversial. What if a member of someone's family was abused and then they got asked a question on abuse in the church? It's too risky no way hosé!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

They couldn't ask about the church it's too controversial. What if a member of someone's family was abused and then they got asked a question on abuse in the church? It's too risky no way hosé!

I hope your right Joe! Nancy never even mentioned that!!

Oh yeah i never thought about that!! But does that mean unemployment can't be asked because if someone's family is now on the dole after being well-off? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

MariaBabii wrote: »
    Oh yeah i never thought about that!! But does that mean unemployment can't be asked because if someone's family is now on the dole after being well-off? :confused:

Good point. But I'd imagine unemployment and sexual abuse are on two complete different levels, and a candidate is much more likely to get upset over sexual abuse then unemployment... but yes I see what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Unemployment can easily be brought up inadvertently so a student can answer if they are able.

Unemployment can easily be brought up inadvertently so a student can answer if they are able.

Gaeilgegrinds1
    What do you think would be the topics to definitely cover for the irish oral? And what recent news topics should be known :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

The answer I can most honestly give is that I don't know. We, contrary to popular belief, do NOT get a list of questions to ask, we are given very rough guidelines. It's intended as a natural conversation and I don't see the point, personally, of grilling someone who has far too much study and little time on their hands on political matters they may not be able to answer on. If, as has happened me, a student has an interest in an area in the news, perhaps the green debate or corruption etc, they usually have the sense to drop it in themselves. I stick with normal issues, the everyday topics ye are blue in the face from practising. I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

This may seem obvious, but how do you say 'if I were Taoiseach/principal'' or whatever? I learned how to answer direct questions of the conditional tense, but now it seems I must work it into other answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

If the church comes up and you don't know anything about it just say you have no interest in that sort of thing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

brian1991 wrote: »
    This may seem obvious, but how do you say 'if I were Taoiseach/principal'' or whatever? I learned how to answer direct questions of the conditional tense, but now it seems I must work it into other answers.

You'd say "Dá mbeinn i mo _______". So if you wanted to say "If I was the principal, I'd give a half day to students on Fridays", you'd say "Dá mbeinn i mo phríomhoide, thabharfainn leathlá do na daltaí gach Aoine." The words underlined are in the modh coinníollach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Is there mistakes in the irish below?
    \/
    \/
    \/
    Can you repeat the question please?
    is féidir leat an cheist arís le do thoil?
    Can you speak slower please?
    Is féidir leat labhairt níos moille le do thoil?
    Can you speak more clearly please?
    is féidir leat labhairt níos soiléire do thoil?
    Can you speak louder please?
    Is féidir leat labhairt níos airde le do thoil?
    I can’t make out what you are saying
    Ní féidir liom a dhéanamh amach céard atá tú a rá
    Can you ask me that question in plain irish please?
    An féidir leat a iarraidh orm an cheist sin in Gaeilge shimplí le do thoil?
    Why are you making this so complicated?
    cén fáth a bhfuil tú ag déanamh seo casta sin a dhéanamh?
    I love your jumper
    is aoibhinn liom an geansaí
    you’re hair is lovely
    gruaig, tá tú álainn
    you have a lovely accent
    tá canúint álainn
    where did you buy your shoes?
    áit a raibh cheannaigh tú do bróga?
    I am not well
    Níl mé go maith
    i am taking medication
    tá mé ag glacadh cógais

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

]Is there mistakes in the irish below?
    \/
    \/
    \/
    Can you repeat the question please?
    is féidir leat an cheist arís le do thoil?
    An féidir leat an cheist a rá arís le do thoil.
    Can you speak slower please?
    Is Anféidir leat labhairt níos moille le do thoil?
    Can you speak more clearly please?
    isanféidir leat labhairt níos soiléire do thoil?
    Can you speak louder please?
    Is Anféidir leat labhairt níos airde le do thoil?
    I can’t make out what you are saying
    Ní féidir liom a dhéanamh amach céard atá tú a rá
    I'd be wary of saying something like that
    Can you ask me that question in plain irish please?
    An féidir leat a iarraidh orm an cheist sin in Gaeilge shimplí le do thoil?
    An féidir leat an cheist sin a chur orm i nGaeilge shimplí le do thoil
    Why are you making this so complicated?
    cén fáth a bhfuil tú ag déanamh seo casta sin a dhéanamh
    ?.... Are you intending on saying that to the examiner like that?
    I love your jumper
    is aoibhinn liom an geansaí
    Is aoibhinn liom do gheansaí
    you’re hair is lovely
    gruaig, tá tú álainn
    tá do chuid gruaige go hálainn
    you have a lovely accent
    tá canúint álainn
    tá guth álainn agat
    where did you buy your shoes?
    áit a raibh cheannaigh tú do bróga?
    Cár cheannaigh tú do chuid bróga?
    I am not well
    Níl mé go maith
    i am taking medication
    tá mé ag glacadh [tógáil] cógais

DON'T TRUST GOOGLE TRANSLATE IF THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE USING! It's not very good as you can see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Crazy Penguin

I'm a irish teacher and I'd def say learn off the stair na gaeilge notes. They're easy points to get.....it's just learning off the information! Don't skimp on it it's worth it and can be the difference between a D and C or even a C and a B

Advertisement