Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH ORAL 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

pathway33 wrote: »

I love your jumper
    is aoibhinn liom an geansaí
    you’re hair is lovely
    gruaig, tá tú álainn
    you have a lovely accent
    tá canúint álainn
    where did you buy your shoes?
    áit a raibh cheannaigh tú do bróga?

Haha, be careful he/she might think that your coming on to them!!:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Haha, be careful he/she might think that your coming on to them!!:pac:

That's what I was thinking:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Does anyone know where I can get the sliochtanna online so I can print them off tonight? My oral's tomorrow. I think my sliochtanna in my An dTuigeann Tú? are too cluttered with notes.
    Also, can I write down my exam number on the same paper with my sliochtanna on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

brian1991 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get the sliochtanna online so I can print them off tonight? My oral's tomorrow. I think my sliochtanna in my An dTuigeann Tú? are too cluttered with notes.
    Also, can I write down my exam number on the same paper with my sliochtanna on them?

yes you can. and u can also write out ur sliochtanna phonetically, so you wouldnt need to print them off, just re-write them from your an dTuigeann tu?

yes you can. and u can also write out ur sliochtanna phonetically, so you wouldnt need to print them off, just re-write them from your an dTuigeann tu?

Cool. Can I write out the phonetics before the exam, or must I do it during that short time after s/he says ''Take a minute and begin when you're ready''?
    Retyping them would take too long right now and I'd probably make a lot of mistakes.

Also, how do you pronounce 'N'fheadar'? Nyayder? Riding with ''Fader''?

• Advertisement

Cool. Can I write out the phonetics before the exam, or must I do it during that short time after s/he says ''Take a minute and begin when you're ready''?
    Retyping them would take too long right now and I'd probably make a lot of mistakes.

Also, how do you pronounce 'N'fheadar'? Nyayder? Riding with ''Fader''?

No, no, no the sliochtanna can be written out whichever way you nlike and brought into the exam with you, the phonetics can be done before you go in to speak to ur examiner, the sliochtanna can be all phonetically if needs be! they just want to hear you say it! Also id pronounce it Nyayder, open to correction

No, no, no the sliochtanna can be written out whichever way you nlike and brought into the exam with you, the phonetics can be done before you go in to speak to ur examiner, the sliochtanna can be all phonetically if needs be! they just want to hear you say it! Also id pronounce it Nyayder, open to correction

Awesome. I'll write the phonetics in red after each difficult term (like '1876') when I'm typing out the sliochts.
    Maybe 'Naddar' rhyming with 'Ladder'?

well, for my sliochtanna i have the whole thing written out phonetically so to me, its like reading english :) hmm, maybe it depends on your dialect with the pronunciation of the word?

I found the sliochtanna online:
    http://zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Sliocht

Can you really write out the whole thing in English based phonetics? I'd love to do that. :D

How do you say:
    1. I can't remember
    2. God willing
    3. I'd rather not say?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

How do you say:
    1. I can't remember
    2. God willing
    3. I'd rather not say?

Thanks

-Rinne me dearmad
    -Buiochas le Dia

Dont know bout last one

I found the sliochtanna online:
    http://zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Sliocht

Can you really write out the whole thing in English based phonetics? I'd love to do that. :D

yeah, u can write the whole thing out in english based phonetics, i cant believe your teacher hasnt told you this!

How do you say:
    1. I can't remember
    Ní cuimhin liom [Rinne mé dearmad=I forgot]
    2. God willing
    le cúnamh Dé [Buíochas le Dia= thank God]
    3. I'd rather not say?
    B'fhearr liom gan é a rá

Thanks

Seo duit.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I'm not sure how to phrase this but you know how you give your exam number can you say it in single digits such as 'one, zero, three' etc or does it have to be the full number as in 'one thousand, seven hundred and sixty five?'. I just realised I don't know my exam number and I'm just curious how to say it.

and obviously i know it has to be said in irish lol :)

I didn't have to say my exam number in either of my orals. But if you do say it I think it would sound better in single digits. Like " a náid, a dó, a sé etc...."

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

My oral is tomorrow, but so far everyone has been saying its easy. We got some old man. He came in and said all he wanted is basic Irish and he isn't asking anyone anything difficult at all, good news for me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

My oral is tomorrow, but so far everyone has been saying its easy. We got some old man. He came in and said all he wanted is basic Irish and he isn't asking anyone anything difficult at all, good news for me:D

Yeah my oral is tomorrow too :p .. Im just dying to get it over and down with! Our examiner said that she is only asking the basic also and she rarely asked anyone the Modh Coinníollach, I'm going to try and throw it it anyway, but I'm glad to know I don't need to know much controversial topics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So far in my school people have been asked

The basics. School,Area,Subjects etc.

Odd questions consisted off ''Is there drug problems in your area'', ''what would you do if you where the manager of chelsea/liverpool(changed the team)''

I am royally ****ed...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

For the sliochts can you just read from your an dtuigeanna tu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Drug problem seems ot be quite popular cause it was asked in y school too.

Have mine tomorrow.I've tried learnin it in a way so I can try and connect each end sentance with th topic I want to go next such as "My towns a big sports town" to which they hopefully ask "O do you you play sport" and I awsner that and at the end go "But Im not that interestted ins port but I am in music" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I had my Irish oral today.......8 years after I did it the last time. Got asked sliocht 5, about the recession, what I would do if I was Minister for Finance, politicians, what I would do if I was the Taoiseach, my family, my pastimes, what I had done since I did the Leaving, about living in the UK, sport and the biggest problem I thought was facing the country so I rambled on about drugs there, why I was repeating Irish and why I want to do primary teaching.

She was asking everyone what they think is the biggest problem facing the country so its nice and open ended. The examiner herself was a lovely woman who seemed genuinely interested in what you had to say and if you got stuck she gave you a digout. Thought it went way better than the one I did in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Did mine today...

Was there for 25 minutes! =O

Spoke about holidays, next year, Limerick, the school, and willie O' Dea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

I had mine today also, was asked part time job, recession, would i leave Ireland if i couldn't get any jobs here, what i want to do after the leaving, where i bought my earrings haha, where i live, what subjects do i do, why do i like computers, have i ever been to abroad, am i going on a leaving cert holiday, what places do i like to shop in ... I got sliocht 8 also!! Lets hope I did good lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Slightly OT but how do you say "to be honest" in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

lc2010 wrote: »

I think you could just say "Chun an an fhírinne a rá" ? (to tell the truth)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

lc2010 wrote: »

Er, Chun a firinne a ra.... That's 'to tell the truth'. Don't think that's spelt right, but at the moment it's the speaking it that matters. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 The Cool One

To be honest in Irish is

'chun a bheith macánta leat'

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

I also did mine today :D went a lot better than I could have hoped, and at the end she said I was very good, now I'm trying to decide whether she was being nice because I had obviously tried my best or whether I really was that good :p I didn't really go into anything too complicated, and she just let me talk about what I seemed interested in.

Started off with myself and my family, my hobbies, what subjects I liked (i hag a big thing prepared on Monet for ealaín :D), which led to my trip to Vienna, why I wanted to be a doctor, what do I think of the Coras Slainte, what type of doctor, which I linked in with a piece on Doctors Without Borders, do I like my school, where I introduced one of the few Modh Coinniolach answers I had (if I were principal :P) what I wanted to do for the summer, where I also talked about my job interview, and an account of Romanian Easter traditions.

Oh and I read sliocht 4 ;)

I did black out on a few occassions, especially when /i was saying samhradh instead of satharn...and after I'd just told her that I'm 17 she asked me what age I was when I came to Ireland and I said ocht mbliana deag d'aois, she looked kinda surprised, and then I realised what I did but no matter how many times I tried I couldn't leave out the "deag" so in the end she just said it for me!

Hope she realised I was higher level, haha :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hey I have my Irish oral next Monday and I'm not so well prepared:pac:... Just could someone give me advice on what exactly to go over for the next 5 days before the exam and what you got asked too, that would be great, thanks.

Advertisement