Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH ORAL 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

well, if you can do your sliocht really well they'll immediately think you're brilliant, so don't underestimate that.

not knowing the basic stuff is inexcusable and will give an extremely bad impression if you don't so learn off your bit about yourself, your family, hobbies etc...revise number because you'll have to list things off! If you do this well it should take up a fair bit of time in yoiur oral, and if you're clever you could link up your ceantar to fadhbanna sosialta atá sa lá inniu ann, which is where you bring in your honours material.

remember that you only have 15 minutes, which sounds like a lot but in reality they go by pretty quickly, I didn't get to say everything I wanted! try to prepare answers which you can link into each other, and rather than roughly learning off 50 pages of notes, focus on a few general areas which you know impeccably well. Be clever in steering the conversation in the direction you want it to go.

Don't forget to pronounce seimhus (no idea how to spell that, I mean the "h's") and the urús and other grammatical things you're not too sure of, go over them now!

And look back over the posts to see what myself, along with all the other posters, got asked ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

!?! wrote: »
    you'll have to list things off! ........link up your ceantar to fadhbanna sosialta atá sa lá inniu ann

:eek: what things? and what's the bit at the end please? :o

like how many are in your family, how many brothers and sisters you have, how many subjects are you doing, that sort of stuff.

I should have asked before, are you doing higher or ordinary?

the bit at the end means social problems today (sa la ata inniu ann= in the day we have today/ at present)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

like how many are in your family, how many brothers and sisters you have, how many subjects are you doing, that sort of stuff.

I should have asked before, are you doing higher or ordinary?

the bit at the end means social problems today (sa la ata inniu ann= in the day we have today/ at present)

Em I'm doing higher. Ya I think I might prepare something on the head shops, could be really topical!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Em I'm doing higher. Ya I think I might prepare something on the head shops, could be really topical!:pac:

:eek: Never thought of that Joe, good thinking!

• Advertisement

erm...call me stupid and uneducated, but what are head shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

erm...call me stupid and uneducated, but what are head shops?

They sell legal stuff that apparently goes to your head. There's been a few set on fire or pipe bombed i think. Not sure about the bomb bit

oh right! :p well that's a good topic, I haven't heard of anyone else doing it and they always love to get a break from all the usual stuff being repeated over and over again! go for it, just make sure you have a way of bringing it up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

pass irish oral is done! sweet, had a good laugh with the examiner... Its easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Head Shop = Siopa Siabhrais

Hope it helps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd mine today even though I was told it was going to be tomorrow! Some bits were fine but the majority of the time she was asking me questions I really didn't know the answer to. I kept the conversation flowing but had some dodgy answers. I said sorry a few times in english aswel :o I got sliocht a 7 which I didn't particularly want but it went well. Glad it's over : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

i was meant to have mine tomorrow, then got put on last person today, totally freaked, got sick, bitched out, now its tomorrow again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I had mine today and it was surprisingly simple, it was a billion times easier than the mocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

cant find the motivation to study at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

I have a practice Irish oral after school tomorrow and I'm not feeling confident at all, I had my french oral on Tuesday and I can't stop thinking in French:confused: anyone have any tips on how I can get back to thinking in Irish again? The way I am now, I think of what to say in English....then french.... then I try and change it to Irish:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Stryderman wrote: »
    I have a practice Irish oral after school tomorrow and I'm not feeling confident at all, I had my french oral on Tuesday and I can't stop thinking in French:confused: anyone have any tips on how I can get back to thinking in Irish again? The way I am now, I think of what to say in English....then french.... then I try and change it to Irish:mad:

Bí ag labhairt Gaeilge i gcónaí. Nuair atá tú ar suíomh mar Leabhar na hAghaidh (is féidir leat an teanga a aistriú ó béarla go ghaeilge) nó MSN, ag seoladh téacs ar d'fhón póca, ag labhairt le do chairde ar scoil irl.

Bhí mo Scrúdú Béil agam inné. Bhíos neirbhíseach sula ndeachaigh mé isteach, ach nuair a thosaigh sé, tháining gach rud amach. Is dócha go dtarlódh an rud céanna leatsa.

Go n-éirí leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Stryderman wrote: »
    II can't stop thinking in French:confused: anyone have any tips on how I can get back to thinking in Irish again? The way I am now, I think of what to say in English....then french.... then I try and change it to Irish:mad:

I'm almost the same but I can't stop thinking in Irish, I had my oral today and since about one I keep speaking Irish.My french oral is next week so i'm hoping it stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Had mine today, think I fecked it up :( I wasn't nervous at all until I was sitting on a chair outside the exam room, and I'm really good at Irish. Went in and went blank...

The examiner didn't ask anyone any abstract or conditional tense questions either, and I forgot to force them into the conversation...
    I got him to talk about drugs, but we ended up chatting about music for 10 mins :p I'm just worried I didn't get to say enough, it went so fast :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I had mine today. It went pretty well, quite happy with it! I was so nervous at first but the examiner was really nice, she didn't ask any tricky questions, just the normal stuff that I've prepared, eg. family, school, part time job, home town..etc etc. I was so glad that there wasn't any awkward long pauses, I just kept talking and talking..didn't even know I had so much to say and the 15 minutes flew! Anyway, to those who haven't done it yet, don't stress too much over it, it will be grand. :) good luck!

Advertisement