Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auz Sponsorship

Options
  • 08-04-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello, last year my BF got offered sponsorship in Auz and this was organised by visa first. Unfortunately the company in Auz pulled out of the sponsorship claiming too much information was needed which they were sensitive to give. Visa first then advised me to look for sponsorship which I am now in the processing of doing. I am currently wiring up my PhD while my BF is still unemployed. My BF lost the fees he paid from visa first and so now I am hoping to find sponsorship alone due to money strains.

Visa first advised me saying that when I am looking for jobs in Auz, do not mention about sponsorship. I questioned them about this but their reply was its better not to say about sponsorship in a first job application. I don’t understand this at all---is this true??

Also having read over a few posts on this site, I see that when one is looking for sponsorship, it is the employers responsibility to also sponsor partners of the applicant (My BF and I have been living together for 4 years) is this a difficult process for employers to do.
    I guess I am just wondering when I apply for jobs, how I go about mentioning sponsorship and should I already have certain forms filled out prior to applying

FYI:My BF has a sister who is living in Auz and married to an Auz citizen and also has a brother who is been sponsored over there.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 passion fruit

Hey, what age are you and your boyfriend? Can you not apply under the WHV scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Grinds06

Sorry I should of said that my BF was previously in Auz on a WHV a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Grinds06 wrote: »
    Hello, last year my BF got offered sponsorship in Auz and this was organised by visa first. Unfortunately the company in Auz pulled out of the sponsorship claiming too much information was needed which they were sensitive to give. Visa first then advised me to look for sponsorship which I am now in the processing of doing. I am currently wiring up my PhD while my BF is still unemployed. My BF lost the fees he paid from visa first and so now I am hoping to find sponsorship alone due to money strains.

Visa first advised me saying that when I am looking for jobs in Auz, do not mention about sponsorship. I questioned them about this but their reply was its better not to say about sponsorship in a first job application. I don’t understand this at all---is this true??

Also having read over a few posts on this site, I see that when one is looking for sponsorship, it is the employers responsibility to also sponsor partners of the applicant (My BF and I have been living together for 4 years) is this a difficult process for employers to do.
    I guess I am just wondering when I apply for jobs, how I go about mentioning sponsorship and should I already have certain forms filled out prior to applying

FYI:My BF has a sister who is living in Auz and married to an Auz citizen and also has a brother who is been sponsored over there.

Thanks in advance

Hi Grinds06 from your post you say you are now looking for sponsorship alone, do you mean you are looking to find a job yourself with the hope of sponsorship and your BF goes defacto?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Grinds06 wrote: »

Thanks in advance

1st advice - Don't use visa first.
    2nd Advice - Make sure you follow 1st advice.

now to answer questions.
    It sounds like something else went wrong with that visa, too much info is BS, the info they have to provide is job title/role, salary, then do a nomination process (like how no suitable aussie can get that role) sponsorship is not secretive (457). So I doubt this was the true reason.

Visa first advised you to look for sponsorship either 1) to fob you off 2) so they can have more fees if you get a 457 through them, either way they win.

I can understand the logic they are telling you, as in get the job then worry about visa.
    This will be a dishonest way to go about it. To me if someone was good enough I would sponsor them if right for the job, but if they conceal they need a visa then I wouldn't bother (but that is just me)

Usually the first question most would ask is around the visa so be up front.
    Apply for jobs directly rather than exclusively through agencies.

These are just my 2C ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

hussey wrote: »
    1st advice - Don't use visa first.
    2nd Advice - Make sure you follow 1st advice.

now to answer questions.
    It sounds like something else went wrong with that visa, too much info is BS, the info they have to provide is job title/role, salary, then do a nomination process (like how no suitable aussie can get that role) sponsorship is not secretive (457). So I doubt this was the true reason.

First part true second part not true my company is looking to sponsor me and immigration came back to them asking for the following information. As you'll see they do require an awful lot of information from the company…
    To demonstrate the business structure, please provide the following,
    as applicable:

Certificate of registration for tax purposes (ABN)

Business Names extract (if operating under a trading name)

If the business is operating as a company, ASIC Historical Company Extract

If the business is operating under a trust structure, a copy of the page of the trust deed that lists the parties to the trust and their signatures; and
    If the business is operating under franchise arrangements, a copy of the franchise agreement

Please provide evidence to demonstrate that the business has been lawfully operating. This evidence includes, but is not limited to, the following:

Business Activity Statements
    Business Tax Returns for the most recently concluded financial year
    Recent Financial Reports (profit and lost statements for the most recently concluded financial year)

Company Annual Report
    Business bank statements covering period of operation
    Lease Agreements or Property Ownership relating to business premises

Contracts to provide services or Work Orders
    Detailed Business Plan
    Registration with Industry Associations
    Advertisements/Promotional Information
    Evidence of employment of staff
    Letter of support from the external, registered accountant to the

business. This letter should include all the following:
    A summary of the nature of the business activity and period of active operation
    The following information in regard to the most recently conclude fiscal period:

Turnover
    Net profit
    Expenditure on wages/salaries
    Expenditure on training
    Net current assets
    Total assets

Training

As your business has been trading in Australia for at least 12 months,

please provide evidence of either of the following:

Recent expenditure to the equivalent of at least 2% of the payroll of the business, in payments allocated to an industry training

fund and a commitment to maintain expenditure in each fiscal year, to
    that level, for the term of approval as a sponsor.
    Recent expenditure to the equivalent of at least 1% of the payroll of the business, in the provision of training to employees of the business and a commitment to maintain expenditure in each fiscal year, to that
    level, for the term of approval as a sponsor.

Expenditure that can count toward this benchmark includes:

Paying for a formal course of study for the businesss employees who are Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents of for TAFE or University students, as part of the organisational training strategy
    Funding a scholarship in formal course of study approved under the Australian Qualifications Framework for the businesss employees who are Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents of for TAFE or University students, as part of the organisational training strategy

Employment of apprentices, trainees or recent graduates on an ongoing basis in numbers proportionate to the size of the busines
    Employment of a person who trains the businesss employees who are Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents as a key part of their job Evidence of payment of external providers to deliver training for Australian employees
    On-the-job training that is structured with a timeframe and clearly identified increase in the skills at each stage, and demonstrating:

o The learning outcomes of the employee at each stage;
    o How the progress of the employee will be monitored and assessed;
    o How the program will provide additional and enhanced skills;
    o The use of qualified trainers to develop the program and set assessments; and
    o The number of people participating and their skill/occupation.

This therefore may include travel expenditure (where the training is held away from the immediate workplace) and the wages of apprentices.

Expenditure that cannot count towards this benchmark includes training
    that is:

Delivered on-the-job, other than on the on-the-job training which
    meets the requirements outlined above

Confined to only one or a few aspects of the businesss broader operations, unless the training is in the primary business activity
    Only undertaken by persons who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents
    Only undertaken by persons who are principals in the business or their family members
    Only relating to a very low skill level having regard to the characteristic and size of the business.

Although I don’t actual know if they need all of this or just some of it I’m not surprised that this might scare off potential employers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Grinds06

Thank you everyone for the comments. Going to start job hunting and mention the visa as hussey your right, it is deceitful not saying about the visa. Your correct too Doc as the main reason the company pulled out of sponsoring my BF was because it was costing them too much to sort out and have all the doc's required.:) :)
    mandrake04: yes Im hopin to look for sponsorship and add my BF defacto

Advertisement