Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Video Game on the way ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Nice one. The BBC (mild spoiler alert, the link reveals what city is in ruins in the pictures) say the first episode will be released in June, and the name of it announced on the 21st of this month.

My only concern is that it has to be downloaded from the BBC website, so hopefully it won't be region-locked like the iPlayer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Sounds interesting but as said above, it'll probably be region blocked.

Nothing a little jiggerypokery won't sort out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ah, good aul VPN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i have a thing on my laptop, whereby you can play the old BBC micro games and i will try and upload the details later.

that bbc adventure games looks class, and i hope it is not region specific.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For anyone who missed it, there was a trailer for this electronic-video-gamenatron aired after Saturday's episode. Well it certainly looks like something that's free (also, the new Dalek designs actually look ok in this virtual world :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

pixelburp wrote: »
    (also, the new Dalek designs actually look ok in this virtual world :rolleyes:)

Worse, they actually look better!!

cast your eyes on the terror lol

http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/bestrest.html

half way down there is the amazing visage of the 6th Doctor and the mines of terror

you need to download the BBC emulator for it to work. see

http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/GettingStarted.html

cannot belive that when i was a teenager these were cutting edge games :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

If it's region locked I will sob like a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well 'City of The Daleks' has come out early and there's bad news and good news.
    First the bad news, yes the free download is UK only.
    The good news however is the site is promising that the games can be downloaded outside the UK (for a fee) from early July, seems fair to me.
    Of course if you can't wait you can go down back yard routes or take a quick drive with your laptop to a wifi zone up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'd be okay with paying a fee as long as it's not too much, because the games are only around 2 hours long each. Anything under €3 and I'm in, any more and you can forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Just downloaded and played the first adventure there, thanks to some proxy wibbly-wobbling. It's pretty good! Enjoyable voice acting from Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, and some interesting environments to explore. It's quite nice that they've presented it just like an actual episode of Doctor Who, including a recreation of the intro credits using the in-game models. Definitely not shabby for a free game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I managed to download the .exe but the installer says that it's for the UK only. Blocked it in my firewall and now it says that I need to be connected to the internet.

What do?

Never mind. To stop the app from detecting you as being outside teh UK just put a valid UK proxy address in IE. The installer only checks ie for internet connectivity settings. Programming fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Look like there is a VERY slick looking mod on the way to:

dHnsu.jpg

Achilles wrote: »
    I managed to download the .exe but the installer says that it's for the UK only. Blocked it in my firewall and now it says that I need to be connected to the internet.

What do?

Had a similar experience, actually went up north yesterday to download, a slow wifi spot in McDonalds Enniskillen, took an hour to load, felt a bit self conscious so once the installation program was in, went home. Tried to install and told UK only, tried a couple of proxy tricks, not working so either wait for the July international or go back up next week to finish it off.

flazio wrote: »
    Had a similar experience, actually went up north yesterday to download, a slow wifi spot in McDonalds Enniskillen, took an hour to load, felt a bit self conscious so once the installation program was in, went home. Tried to install and told UK only, tried a couple of proxy tricks, not working so either wait for the July international or go back up next week to finish it off.

Set up a UK based proxy in Internet Explorer then it'll let you install.

Here's what I did in order to download it, in case anybody's having trouble:
    1. Visit a UK-based proxy site, like this one: http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/
    2. Enter this URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/theadventuregames/download/cityofthedaleks/Installer-CityoftheDaleks.exe
    3. Enjoy roughly two hours of Doctor Who goodness!
    Hopefully it's okay that I posted this! I'll edit it out if it goes against the Charter.

Skaro?

11th Doctor?

hummmmmmmmmmmmm..............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Edit: Never mind

Edit: New problem. I used the proxy and downloaded the installer but just got a message saying won't install outside of the UK.

Achilles wrote: »
    Set up a UK based proxy in Internet Explorer then it'll let you install.
    Not doing it for me

• Advertisement

Edit: Never mind

Edit: New problem. I used the proxy and downloaded the installer but just got a message saying won't install outside of the UK.

Put a UK proxy address in your IE settings (a proper socks proxy not a website) and then try the installer.

And for those of us who aren't tech-savvy, how do I do that?

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    And for those of us who aren't tech-savvy, how do I do that?

How to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982

Proxy to use: 212.118.224.148:80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

played this yesterday, despite my laptop being pretty good the processor was still too damn slow, and it wouldn't let me play the thing without taking 10 minutes to load everything and with the opening scene taking a full 5 minutes to go through frame by frame

I need to get a better processor before I go playing it again

So the next episode, 'Blood of the Cybermen' comes out this Saturday after 'The Big Bang' airs
    And it looks like it's set after The Big Bang as well, Amy clearly doesn't know what a Cyberman is in the series finalé, unless there is some retcon work done at the end of this episode.

Blood of the Cybermen is available for download now alright, and it's fairly great! A lot more ambitious than the previous Adventure Game, with more human characters, better puzzles, pretty Arctic environments and a labyrinthine, Cyberman-infested base to explore. It's a good deal longer than the first one, to boot.
    It also allows you to cyber with Matt. No, sorry... I mean it features Cybermats, the rodent-like advance guard of the Cybermen.

For those interested in being devious, here's a quick guide to downloading the installer and fooling it into thinking you're a Brit. Try the slightly complicated but more reliable XAMPP method detailed in a comment near the bottom if a proxy doesn't work for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I played City of The Daleks last night.

Quite enjoyed the game. Did not enjoy the controls however. The camera is horrible. I felt throwing up after playing this for half an hour.

OK folks for those of you who decided to be good and wait for your legal chance to own the games its now up on direct2drive.eu for the reasonable enough price of €3.95 (You're basically paying for Blood of the Cybermen and getting City of the Daleks Free)
    http://www.direct2drive.eu/3/9642/product/Buy-Doctor-Who:-The-Adventure-Games---Episode-1-and-2-Download

Advertisement