Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC my sign up story

• 08-04-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

This might take awhile, so feet up and here we go.

I used to be with Smart Telecom, they were good but too expensive for what you get. So I looked up UPC and found that I could have more for cheaper.

I called them and the sales guy who I will leave nameless told me that I could have 15Mb broadband and home phone for €38, but that there would be a €20 install fee for booking over the phone, he also said that signing up on the web site wouldn't charge me the €20.
    So I went along to UPC web site and ended up at http://www.upc.ie/deals/made_to_measure/ where I began to fill in all my details. Sure enough as I was told there was no install charge and the price per month was the same €38.
    I went through the whole thing and got my receipt (see attachment)

I thought that's great, it's way cheaper than Smart at €38. I thought at this stage the €7.75 extra charge was included in the €38. Then I got an email from sales:
    "Thank you for your online order, this has now been processed. The services you requested are: (Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb with Standalone Charge of 7.74euros and Home Phone for Total monthly cost: €45.74)"
    Note that this is the first time the total was mentioned of €45.74.

Cutting a bit short here, I complained to UPC about the charge they won't do anything, although I am getting 2 months at half price. So I took my complaint to Comreg who sent this:

"UPC have responded to outline their position. They feel that the ordering process is adequate as it does clearly state at each stage of the process that this standalone charge will apply where the customer does not have a TV service with them. They also say that the shopping basket tool is not capable of updating automatically to include this charge in the total.

Unfortunately, we aren’t in a position to take this any further. As explained below, we have no powers in this particular area. However, I would suggest contacting the National Consumer Agency to get their views on the subject.

Regards,

Peter Hall

Commission for Communications Regulation"

So they have no teeth in this area.

Here's what the national consumer agency says:

"Many thanks for your response.

As stated in our previous mail, we have referred your query on to our Commercial Practices Division for examination and whatever follow up action deemed necessary and appropriate.

We trust you have found this information useful and if you have any further consumer related queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 1890 432 432.

Yours sincerely,

Lorna O'Shea
    National Consumer Agency"

So not much use either. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm, very happy with the service I'm also happy enough paying €45.74 for it. What I'm not happy and would like changed is the way its charged on the web site. I mean you don't go into a shop and buy a €10 product only to find that there's a charge of €5 to leave the shop?
    Even Ryan Air tell you how much in total you'll be paying for your tickets!

Just some info if your thinking of signing up with UPC. All comments are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

"They also say that the shopping basket tool is not capable of updating automatically"

What non-sense! It's a matter of checking if TV is included and if it isn't, add the extra. This is the problem with the likes of Comreg, a civil servant who knows nothing about technology accepts this as a valid excuse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you visit http://www.upc.ie/deals/made_to_measure/

Select 15MB BB and phone and go to next screen you are presented with
    Includes a FREE wireless router. A Fibre Power Broadband standalone charge of €7.75 applies when not taking TV.

On the right hand side,

So clearly the e-mail is NOT the first place where UPC mention this extra charge, I'd agree its not as upfront as it could be (it should be on the first screen) but they do display it.

However UPC are very much incorrect to state

UPC have responded to outline their position. They feel that the ordering process is adequate as it does clearly state at each stage of the process that this standalone charge will apply where the customer does not have a TV service with them.

This is not accurate as at stage 1 (the first page) the TV fee is NOT displayed, I'd go back to Comreg with UPC's statement along with screen shots of that first page and state that they are clearly incorrect in their statement that it is displayed at ALL stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I was in the same boat

I ordered at the RDS (ideals home) to avoid the installation charge
    told there would be 50 euro
    Got it installed a couple of days later rang to upgrade phone to include calls was told total a month would be 50 euro
    Got first bill very confusing as there was part months eetc.
    Got second bill and there was a 6 euro charge that was back dated to the time of install. I rang about it and was told that was standard and i would of being told about it.
    I asked to speak to someone else. She took my number and the next day a fellow from account's rang me. I told him the story. he went off and rang me back a couple of hours later
    He told me he had listened to the call I made when I added the free calls etc. and confirmed I was told it would be only 50 euro. He then offered to credit my account by 72 (6euro*12months) in compensation which I accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you visit http://www.upc.ie/deals/made_to_measure/

Select 15MB BB and phone and go to next screen you are presented with

On the right hand side,

So clearly the e-mail is NOT the first place where UPC mention this extra charge, I'd agree its not as upfront as it could be (it should be on the first screen) but they do display it.

However UPC are very much incorrect to state

UPC have responded to outline their position. They feel that the ordering process is adequate as it does clearly state at each stage of the process that this standalone charge will apply where the customer does not have a TV service with them.

This is not accurate as at stage 1 (the first page) the TV fee is NOT displayed, I'd go back to Comreg with UPC's statement along with screen shots of that first page and state that they are clearly incorrect in their statement that it is displayed at ALL stages.

To be fair Cabaal you can't really say they mention it.
    By example, if I just order broadband

1.jpg

It cleary states the standalone charge as part of the monthly costs.

However if I order broadband and home phone

2.jpg

The standalone charge is not part of the monthly costs, And it could be taken that the standalone charge is waived as you are ordering two products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Well guys, the reason I complained in the first place is TOTAL monthly cost should be as it says €38. When did the word Total change to be total plus another charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Bodhan wrote: »
    Well guys, the reason I complained in the first place is TOTAL monthly cost should be as it says €38. When did the word Total change to be total plus another charge?

Also my point exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

I made a similar mistake to this except with Eircom. I was ordering on an iphone web browser (Because I had no proper net) and didn't realize I had ordered "Up to 7mb broadband with eircom talktime chatter" instead of the "Just broadband" package without the telephone until I got my bill today (for the first month bb).

Will ring them in the morning, any idea if they'll let me change over to "just broadband" or am I screwed?

The bill comes to €86 with phone instead of €64 without. :(

2vs3ztv.jpg

MrGarak wrote: »
    The bill comes to €86 with phone instead of €64 without.
    Surely you mean €61.70 with phone or €39.80 without?

Surely you mean €61.70 with phone or €39.80 without?

As far as I'm aware theres another line rental price on top of those charges quoted on Eircom's website, maybe I'm mistaken, but my first bill (March) was for line-rental only, totaling €28.70. This second bill is supposed to be the price of the actual broadband for March plus the April line-rental. Must admit I find it all a bit confusing.

MrGarak wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware theres another line rental price on top of those charges quoted on Eircom's website, maybe I'm mistaken, but my first bill (March) was for line-rental only, totaling €28.70. This second bill is supposed to be the price of the actual broadband for March plus the April line-rental. Must admit I find it all a bit confusing.

Nope, those prices include line rental.

Considering it's only your first/second bill, there's possibly other things like installation/equipment fees etc.

• Advertisement

Oh right, had no idea. There definitely must be something that needs clearing up then so I'll give them a right first thing, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi Bodhan,
    When UPC Came out with their fine offers on Jan 4th i not only took them up at face value,I also recommended their 'deals' to family and friends.

My bill and all i know who took it up did not reflect what the hype on their website suggested.All were overcharged{made Me very popular with those i had recommended it to!:o}

I have found that they will back down on overcharging,but it carries from one bill to another and trying to get satisfaction from them is like getting a tooth extraction:mad:

They fcuk people around that DO query a bill and just happilly accept overcharging from those who do not 'go to battle with them'so to speak.
    They have improved,but they have a helluva long way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

me and the partner are moving in together next week so i rang up to arrange broadband and tv with UPC. got onto this nice sales guy who sold us what me and the partner think is a good offer.

so i organised this sales rep to call me back today as i wanted to discuse this upgraded option with my partner. i rang back last night looking for the guy to make the sale.... i no they get commission and since he did all the hard work i think he deserved what ever comission they get.

i got onto another guy and requested the sales rep i wanted and this guy said he's on another call and took my editted details to pass onto the guy, my boyfriends number as i was going to be in work and i wouldnt be able to answer the call. the guy i gave the details to me made in conversation that he would take the sale but this guy lets call him dave (original sales rep) is a nice guy and didnt want to take his comission.... little unprofessional

so today my boyfriend got a call from upc from a sales rep called lets call him jim saying he will talk through the packages, and my boyfriend was driving and said to call back in 20mins. my boyfriend contacted me to say jim rang and im like no dave is to ring u, and i dont want to give my business to jim. so jim called back as promised and my boyfriend was like i was dealing with dave and would like to talk to him, BF was told dave is in a meeting and my BF was like dave sold us on the package and we would like to close the sale with him as he did all the ground work! so he told jim to get dave to call

dave called and BF explained wat happened and he was really proffesional passed no comment and said thank you for requesting him to call back..

overall happy with the work dave done for us but is this the way a sales team is run.... its unproffessional and it wasnt a very nice experience. i have signed up with UPC in the past and their seervice to me is really good and affordable and hence why i signed up again with them. i recommend to anyone i know.. and have gotten them a few contracts by word of mouth.

this is a terrible way to treat customers and its like being vultures!!!!

i felt really bad for dave that his co-workers could do this to him.... and i am glad he got his comission in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Unfortunately jjjade, your story isn't alone.

Any company that uses a commision based sales system has this problem.
    The owners know about it, and while not encouraging it, turn a blind eye.
    Once the customer is signied up, it's easier to mollify them, and keep them after the fact.

However, this is a commom practise now, accross all industries.
    There are exceptions who're more ethical, but accross the board you will find sales departments where all that matters is sales, and the sales agents only care about commision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Be aware that Comreg have no power over what is displayed, advertised or purchased over websites.

If it's online, they have no power. They only have teeth when it comes to printed material.

(Based on a conversation I had with them about 15 months ago.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

that is surely outdated by now. I had an issue with o2 based on their online advertisements and they had to back down as i was in the right and i got the pricing scheme that was advertised. If they are willing to take orders over the internet that require the printing of reciepts then surely comreg has some power.

Unfortunately jjjade, your story isn't alone.

Any company that uses a commision based sales system has this problem.
    The owners know about it, and while not encouraging it, turn a blind eye.
    Once the customer is signied up, it's easier to mollify them, and keep them after the fact.

However, this is a commom practise now, accross all industries.
    There are exceptions who're more ethical, but accross the board you will find sales departments where all that matters is sales, and the sales agents only care about commision.

i do agree with what your saying and i no that all that matters is sales.... but they could hide it in a more professional way instead of robbing each others customers.... i felt sorry for the original guy i dealth with and closed the sale with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

jjjade wrote: »
    i do agree with what your saying and i no that all that matters is sales.... but they could hide it in a more professional way instead of robbing each others customers.... i felt sorry for the original guy i dealth with and closed the sale with

Oh, I agree it's terrible, and no excuse.
    I'd never even try that kinda job, cause I don't have it in me to backstab.

I keep thinking of poor Gill from the Simpsons!

I keep thinking of poor Gill from the Simpsons!

awwww now i feel sad!!!! i always feel really sorry and horrible for him :(

Advertisement