Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Best Snug?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

The search for the best snug in Dublin is going to be one of the topics on Capital D tonight at 7pm on RTÉ One, I await with baited breath to see which pubs make the cut.

The Palace of Fleet Street and Keogh's of South Anne Street are two of my favourites, how about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Keogh's of South Anne Street really is great. It's a snug of privilege in that pub!

O'Neills on Suffolk St aint half bad neither

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Oh yes. Was talking to Gerry, the guy behind this, only yesterday about it.

Looking forward to it.

Also, I love myself a bit of the Palace on Fleet Street.

Wish that the Gravediggers would actually do something with their snug... it's just used to store a bunch of old bicycles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

A snug isn't only the location - it's also the company

There used to be a nice one in Kyles in Coolock village. But last time I was in there I was saddened to find they had gutted the thing completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Also, I love myself a bit of the Palace on Fleet Street.

So did I, Till the ****er behind the bar tried to short change me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Keogh's of South Anne Street really is great. It's a snug of privilege in that pub!

Dead right! Even when its the middle of summer and the pub has spilled out onto the street it still has a nice atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Toners on Baggot St and O'Briens on Leeson Street are two other good ones IMO:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

whatnext wrote: »
    Toners on Baggot St and O'Briens on Leeson Street are two other good ones IMO:D

Toners is very nice alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

crossbar in harolds cross, people in there are like a family

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kehoe's on South Anne Street is great alright. Where's Keogh's? :p

Love a weekend afternoon pint in there.

capital d on rte 1 right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

My favourite is the snug in Fallons of Dean street/the Coombe. Nice and cosy. And a great pint of Guinness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

The staff in Kehoes seem to be really nice too, which often isn't the case with a popular pub.

The snug in Walshes in Stoneybatter used to be a prime spot, but I don't know if it survived the change of ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The snug in Walshes in Stoneybatter used to be a prime spot, but I don't know if it survived the change of ownership.

I've never seen anyone go in there but there is still something in there.

Lovely pub though, a great local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Would the small part of The Stags Head count?

It's up on the RTÉ Player now for those who missed it:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1070325

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Slatterys in Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Right... what the fcuk is a snug?!

from wikipedia:o

The snug

The "snug", also sometimes called the Smoke room, was typically a small, very private room with access to the bar that had a frosted glass external window, set above head height. A higher price was paid for beer in the snug and nobody could look in and see the drinkers. It was not only the well off visitors who would use these rooms, the snug was for patrons who preferred not to be seen in the public bar. Ladies would often enjoy a private drink in the snug in a time when it was frowned upon for ladies to be in a pub. The local police officer would nip in for a quiet pint, the parish priest for his evening whisky, and lovers would use the snug for their rendezvous.

• Advertisement

Apparently a lot of them originated from when grocery shops started to sell alcohol. The Snug would be small section of the store set aside for drinking. Eventually the entire store would have converted over to being a full fledged pub but the snug still remained.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

boosh_fan wrote: »
    Slatterys in Rathmines

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

fontanalis wrote: »
    Would the small part of The Stags Head count?

It would, but it's not like it used to be in the good ole days before Louis Fitzgerald took it over from the Shaffreys, when you could stand behind the bit of the bar with the dumb waiter and sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Royal Oak in Kilmainham Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Jim wrote: »
    Royal Oak in Kilmainham Lane.

There's no real snug in there unless you're talking about downstairs. The whole place is snug;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Does one have to be in The Royal Oak at 1030am to claim a seat in the snug, hard enough getting a seat full stop.

Great thread this, myself and a friend were rattling our brains in Kennedy's beside Tara Street last night trying to come up with places with snugs apart from Keogh's/Kehoe's:) the only other one we could come up with was O'Neills on Pearse Street, it doesn't have a hatch but the eager lounge staff make up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Slatterys in Rathmines

And we also have the corridor behind the bar, which must count as the largest snug in Dublin? Unfortunatley they removed the upstairs snug a few years back, but still.. the one inside the door is glorious...

Anyone know Fallons pub, they have half a snug anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Slatterys in Rathmines

Any idea what the guinness is like in here? Just moved in to rathmines and i love a good pint of stout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Judging by the design of the back of O'Donoghues on Merrion Row I presume that area was/is a snug

• Advertisement
Advertisement