Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange substance appearing on newly painted walls

• 08-04-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i recently had my outside shed refurbished to create a home gym. the walls were plastered and i recently finished the paint job. On one of the walls, a strange dark green coloured substance appeared on one part of the wall, i've painted over it, washed it off but it keeps coming back, what the hell could it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 safesecure.ie

Hi Dezki,

Had a similar issue, couldnt figure out what it was but was told to paint over it with gloss paint first, then with what whatever paint I was painting the rest of the room.

Worked a treat - although I prob really should have found out what was causing it and treated it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Dezki,

Had a similar issue, couldnt figure out what it was but was told to paint over it with gloss paint first, then with what whatever paint I was painting the rest of the room.

Worked a treat - although I prob really should have found out what was causing it and treated it!

Thats does not sound like a good idea. If you paint gloss onto a surface without an undercoat it peels. If you paint over gloss without using an undercoat is peels...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

My sister (living in the U.S.) had a similar problem in her basement and it was mould. She would wash it off the walls and then a few days later it would reappear. I think it also has to do with ventilation / dampness. Do you have the shed ventilated? You might want to look into that if you see it reappear.

Advertisement