Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an ISP in Greystones, Co Wicklow

• 08-04-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I am looking for an ISP in Greystones.

What company would you recommend based on the following requirements:

1) Internet browsing - Is it fast or slow? Is it ok for streaming?

2) Gaming - What games do you play and do you disconnect much?

3) Customer Service - Good or bad?

4) Price - Are you getting value for money?

5) Cap - What is the download cap, are they strict? Do they charge you if you go over this cap? If so, how much?

5) Download speed and ping - Do you get your full download speed? Are pings good?

UPC is not available, so that's out. Would prefer not to use Digiweb Metro due to small cap. I have contacted eircom, magnet, utv already. Clearwire and the mobile broadbands are not an option either as they will not be able to do what I want to do.

Magnet can offer me a package, but it's not on their fiber optics line? 8 mb for €45 (or there abouts). Unsure of the contention ratio or performance, if I go with magnet I will have to get eircom in, that will cost €25 a month. UTV offered 8mb for €36 a month, unsure of line rental. Unsure of performance. Anybody use UTV? Would you recommend them?

What satelite broadband is available? Would you recommend this service or any company?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the Magnet offering is not their LLU (which is likely since it's not on their fibre connection to the exchange) then it's re-sold eircom broadband. This will mean the contention is set by eircom. That's a good price though, just make sure it includes the line rental. If it doesn't, that'll be another €25 on top.

UTV haven't had many complaints around here for a while. They do charge a disconnection fee, for when you eventually close out, but it's only €30. They also have an unlimited usage option (actually 120GB at peak times, I believe) for an extra €6 a month, or there abouts. Not bad if you're going to download a lot. This is also re-sold eircom broadband.

Given what I've heard about Magnet (though I've never been a customer) I would give them a shot. They also have a support forum here, should it be needed.

Imagine Breeze might be worth looking into to. It's wireless, requires an aerial on the roof, not sure on the caps, but the speed is synchronous up and down (so you get a good upload) and it should work for gaming. Mixed reports on them though.

If it comes down to satellite, then you can rule out gaming, large caps, VOIP, and pretty much anything else you'd want out of broadband. Pings being the big killer. It's expensive for two way (one way requires a phone line and dial-up for the upload) though it is the better option. Caps tend to be low, set up costs then to be high (hundreds of € sometimes), and it really should be a last resort. There are a few threads in Midband, currently this one, but most are not singing praises.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote: »
    UTV haven't had many complaints around here for a while. They do charge a disconnection fee, for when you eventually close out, but it's only €30. They also have an unlimited usage option (actually 120GB at peak times, I believe) for an extra €6 a month, or there abouts. Not bad if you're going to download a lot. This is also re-sold eircom broadband.

Bit-stream resellers are my only ADSL option

I'm on a UTV bundle myself with weekend and evening local and national calls, costs about 48e a month (incl line rental) I also have the so called "Unlimited" option for the extra bit.

I've never heard from UTV in relation to how much I've downloaded but I notice if I download a far bit my speeds can be slowed at peak times....none the less luckily I'm close to the exchange and I get approx 6MB from a 7MB line so I'm happy enough :)

I've been using them for approx two years now, prior to them it was UPC who if I had the option to I would return to.

Gaming wise UTV is fine...atleast lasttime I played Left For Dead 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT unbundled Greystones but I don't know if they put in the ADSL2+ gear since. Therefore you can get BT Business BBup to 8mbits .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    BT unbundled Greystones but I don't know if they put in the ADSL2+ gear since. Therefore you can get BT Business BBup to 8mbits .

Used to have a BT Business ADSL line back years ago, was very costly at the time but was a cracking service

No issues with amount downloaded, excellent pings all the time, practically no downtime....mind you it was costly but then you get a decent SLA when you have a business line :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cabaal wrote: »
    Used to have a BT Business ADSL line back years ago

I make it that 24mbits is available from BT and cheaper than eircom, €40 a month + line rental + vat. No surcharges like the eircom ngn scamola.

This PR from 2008
    BT LAUNCHES NEXT GENERATION BROADBAND IN IRELAND

- BT introduces full speed ADSL2+ broadband with speeds of up to 24Mb and unlimited usage

Dublin, Wednesday 30th July 2008: BT today announced that it will immediately switch on the full capability of its own next generation network in a radical move that could bring broadband speeds of up to 24Mb to consumers and businesses in Ireland.
    The up to 24Mb service, which will be available from telephone exchanges serving close to 330,000 homes and businesses, costs as little as €42.50 (incl VAT) per month for consumers or €40 (ex VAT) for businesses. These prices contrast starkly with eircom’s up to 12Mb broadband service for €169 (ex VAT) per month.
    Following on from a successful launch in January of up to 8Mb broadband in selected areas in Dublin, Kildare and Limerick, today’s announcement will see BT investing in additional exchange areas by the end of September 2008. For no additional cost, all customers currently on up to 8Mb broadband will be upgraded to the new service.
    Emer Kennedy, Director of BT’s Consumer Division said, “Our investment in a next generation network in Ireland enables us to radically shake up the market by trebling broadband speeds without increasing prices. While actual speeds achieved will be impacted by individual line conditions, by making the maximum attainable speed (24Mb) available on our network, we are ensuring that BT customers have access to the fastest possible DSL broadband service available from any operator in Ireland today.”

BT’s new service will be available immediately in the following exchanges: Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Dolphins Barn, Dublin North Main, Terenure, Merrion, Crown Alley, Beggars Bush, Swords, Clondalkin, Summerhill, Blanchardstown, Naas, Dooradoyle, Navan and Kilkenny City.

By the end of September 2008 the new broadband service will be available in Douglas, Ballincollig (Cork) and Whitehall, Belcamp, and Foxrock (Dublin) and Greystones (Wicklow).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Went with UTV in the end. Will see how this goes and let ye know. Thanks all for the info.

BT don't provide to residential clients anymore :(

BT don't provide to residential clients anymore :(

They do but it depends on who you speak to,
    - some agents will sign you up regardless
    - some require a registered business number
    - In my case they wanted a 500e deposit which I got back after 1 year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cabaal wrote: »
    They do but it depends on who you speak to,
    - some agents will sign you up regardless
    - some require a registered business number
    - In my case they wanted a 500e deposit which I got back after 1 year

My network doesn't go that far :P

Why do they provide for some and not for all? That's unusual.

The line we have can only take 5mb at the moment, so utv 3mb will have to do until they upgrade the lines. Better than nothing.

Once upon a time, me and my 3 flatmates shared a 1mb eircom broadband connection. We were the envy of all :P

Advertisement