Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA World Cup 2010

Options
  • 08-04-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭

downloading the demo on XBL, probably wont be too different from Fifa 10 but should be interesting to see EA's "100" changes to the game :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

First Impressions:

Not too bad! straight away, the presentation hits you. the menus etc look excellent, far niceer than fifa 10's rather droll looking menus. Onto the friendly match, it continues. the graphics are far superior to fifa 10 and looks better than 09 as well. the player models look great, i think even PES fans will be impressed here. its not just the main players like torres that look better, even a reserve italian player(like aquaman) looks good and realistic.

onto the gameplay, its much the same although a few things have changed. first of all, it is possible to concede a peno with a standing tackle, no more raping in the box. Goalies have improved greatly even if casillas and buffon are in the demo. no more lame lobs it seems. some good saves too. also, players seem to make smarter runs with things like overlapping full-backs and CMs making late runs for chances(de rossi is very handy in this aspect)

looking good, world cup game! fifa 11 is already looking promising.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    First Impressions:

Not too bad! straight away, the presentation hits you. the menus etc look excellent, far niceer than fifa 10's rather droll looking menus. Onto the friendly match, it continues. the graphics are far superior to fifa 10 and looks better than 09 as well. the player models look great, i think even PES fans will be impressed here. its not just the main players like torres that look better, even a reserve italian player(like aquaman) looks good and realistic.

onto the gameplay, its much the same although a few things have changed. first of all, it is possible to concede a peno with a standing tackle, no more raping in the box. Goalies have improved greatly even if casillas and buffon are in the demo. no more lame lobs it seems. some good saves too. also, players seem to make smarter runs with things like overlapping full-backs and CMs making late runs for chances(de rossi is very handy in this aspect)

looking good, world cup game! fifa 11 is already looking promising.

aquaman.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i played it there for about an hour. know the drill w/ these footie games ya either play em non stop or not at all; the slightest tweaks can make all the difference. this seems like a win but i said that about the FIFA 10 demo, and once i got the retail version online after a while it was goodbye. still, this seems like the real deal - and the opportunity to play the entire finals online.. how do they get the group stage to work online?! good on em, lookin forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Probably just going to wait until FIFA 11 to invest in all these changes but will give the demo a go...

🤪

Star Bingo wrote: »
    i played it there for about an hour. know the drill w/ these footie games ya either play em non stop or not at all; the slightest tweaks can make all the difference. this seems like a win but i said that about the FIFA 10 demo, and once i got the retail version online after a while it was goodbye. still, this seems like the real deal - and the opportunity to play the entire finals online.. how do they get the group stage to work online?! good on em, lookin forward to it.

yep, with a few tweaks and much improved graphics, its already a bit better than fifa 10. i was never convinced by fifa 10 in the demo and while im a bit better at the game now, stupid things happen in every game and not necessarily to me.

that said, i probably wont get the game but as a fifa fan, its interesting at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I thought it was good. Not sure if i'll buy yet, prob wait for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

there seems to be a bit more intensity in the game when playing it, like its playing at a faster pace and the atmosphere in the stadium seems to have gone up a notch just like it would in a real WC. Nice to get different commentry aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I downloaded it and played it for the last hour or so on my PS3 and like the OP said the presentation is a huge leap from FIFA10 and the players look extremely realistic in the atmosphere is great (national anthems, confetti on the pitch etc). But overall I feel that this is basically FIFA10 with a facelift, the controls feel exactly the same and apart from the graphics I don't see any drastic changes or more importantly improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Yeah i wasn't all that impressed, gameplay wise the changes are very minor.

They seem to have improved the defensive AI so that its easier to stop one touch passing, the goalkeepers are staying on their lines so far and a bit more variety in where shots go too. But tbh it just seems like its FIFA 10.1, so minor are the changes.

Parawind wrote: »
    Yeah i wasn't all that impressed, gameplay wise the changes are very minor.

They seem to have improved the defensive AI so that its easier to stop one touch passing, the goalkeepers are staying on their lines so far and a bit more variety in where shots go too. But tbh it just seems like its FIFA 10.1, so minor are the changes.

its a start anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The menus and GUI are much nicer than FIFA 10, the atmosphere with the horns in the background is class, the camera angles make the manual celebrations look less retarded than they currently do....

Having said that, the gameplay is basically the exact same. The only difference is that the keepers don't charge out as much as in FIFA 10. The shooting seems slightly, slightly different.

Looks like they have included every nation from WC qualifying so theres a good selection. I wonder if they have made a balls of the online world cup, same as they've done with Ultimate team tournaments (where if someone quits you don't get the win), which is f*cking lunacy.

It is basically FIFA 10 with nicer menus and no club teams. Definitely will not buy if they've made a balls oft he online WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

have to say that Clive Tyldsley's commentary is class in it, especially in scoring opportunities. Townsend doesn't say much which is probably a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I love it.

Its incredibly hard to judge from 2min halfs, so ive played around 25 quick matches since yesterday. Here are the improvements ive noticed:

- Presentation. This game looks amazing.
    - Player faces. I went for an instant replay close up and Xabi Alonso was freakishly accurate.
    - Goalkeeping. Yes they stay on their line, BUT, reaction saves have been introduced, Buffon made an outrageous save after sticking his leg out.
    - Atmosphere. It really feels like a World Cup match, the fans in the crowd were a nice addition. Also, the new celebration thing where it zooms in on the scorer makes it far more dramatic.
    - Managers. Saw a video where Trappattonni was complaining :D
    - Passing. "Ping pong" is alot harder, which is great, through balls are also much more intellegent.
    - Defending. Much more intellegent overall.
    - Penalties. Wow. I ****ING LOVE THE NEW SYSTEM. Here it is for those who havent taken one or saved one yet:

This is a definate purchase for me. I am a FIFA junkie, but if im not satisified i wont shell out, but i am satisfied with this. The online World Cup sounds amazing and I love the Captain Your Country mode, both of which return from Euro 2008.

Am i the only one who thinks the confetti looks so stupid on the pitch, its so evenly spread out and with very little variety. I mean i know its just an overlay but it just makes it look so fake.

Am i the only one who thinks the confetti looks so stupid on the pitch, its so evenly spread out and with very little variety. I mean i know its just an overlay but it just makes it look so fake.

ya its silly alright but it isnt too annoying. those bloody horns though are another level of annoying altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

ya its silly alright but it isnt too annoying. those bloody horns though are another level of annoying altogether

Love them, they really make it feel authentic South Africa!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yup. just gonna fiddle w/ this..
    I mean i know its just an overlay, it makes it look so fake

if it were actual pieces - albeit in a game - i'd be ok w/ it, but it disappears at certain low angles

had a chuckle at the 'vuvuzela volume' option in the audio settings

anyone notice the dramatic improvement in lighting? on player faces in the cutscenes, but mainly daylight. matches previously looked horrible in daytime. don't wanna count my chickens, made that mistake w/ the 10 demo but this feels like the real deal each time i come back to it. desperate to get it online for the litmus test.. in full WC tournament mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Love them, they really make it feel authentic South Africa!

Wait until in the actual WC is on. They were bloody annoying in the confredations cup. Sounds likes a swarm of bees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Release date for this?

30/31st... another while yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Thanks. Not that far away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,156 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Release date for this?

2 weeks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Have to say I like the demo. While its minor they seem to have brought back a more solid feel to the players when defending. My biggest gripe with ten this year was the flimsyness of the defenders but it definitely feels more solid now and more realistic.

Shooting seems a bit off but the graphics up close are a huge improvement.

I love the atmosphere in the game and the horns sound great. They are god awful in real life though.

Wont be buying it but hopefully Fifa 11 will be a big improvement on fifa 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

A lot of people seem to be complaining that its just "Fifa 10.1", "very few changes", "just minor improvements" etc.

Am I the only one who actually wants this? I don't want a totally different game than Fifa 10. I love Fifa 10, I want them to make it better though. I certainly don't want a completely changed game ever year. I want a game thats improved on until its as close to perfect as possible. By changing a lot each year they are bound to get things wrong. At least this way they can improve on what needs to be improved on and leave other things the way there are if they are working. Plus then you don't have to completely adjust each year to a 'new' game.

I know me and my friends who play Fifa 10 regularly together all feel this way at least.

Opinions?

Edit: By the way I haven't actually played the demo yet. Just reading on here and other reviews, but I know i certainly happy with Fifa 10 plus improvements and WC mode etc. I would not be particularity happy with a completely new game, unless of course they got everything SPOT on, which I don't see ever happening.

Yeah i see what your saying but are such minor changes worth spending €60 on? Especially since you know a better football game will be out in another 6 months, its more a question of value for money then anything else. If they expect us to pay for a game, i expect there to be enough new content and improvements to make it worth getting. The things they have improved in world cup 2010 could and should have been patched in fifa 10.

Yeah i see what your saying but are such minor changes worth spending €60 on? Especially since you know a better football game will be out in another 6 months, its more a question of value for money then anything else. If they expect us to pay for a game, i expect there to be enough new content and improvements to make it worth getting. The things they have improved in world cup 2010 could and should have been patched in fifa 10.

Completely agree with where your coming from with value for money. But I know me and my friends would get the value out of it tbh. But also I can't really talk because I have a modded Xbox... don't know how much more I'm allowed say :D

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be complaining that its just "Fifa 10.1", "very few changes", "just minor improvements" etc.

Am I the only one who actually wants this? I don't want a totally different game than Fifa 10. I love Fifa 10, I want them to make it better though. I certainly don't want a completely changed game ever year. I want a game thats improved on until its as close to perfect as possible. By changing a lot each year they are bound to get things wrong. At least this way they can improve on what needs to be improved on and leave other things the way there are if they are working. Plus then you don't have to completely adjust each year to a 'new' game.

I know me and my friends who play Fifa 10 regularly together all feel this way at least.

Opinions?

Edit: By the way I haven't actually played the demo yet. Just reading on here and other reviews, but I know i certainly happy with Fifa 10 plus improvements and WC mode etc. I would not be particularity happy with a completely new game, unless of course they got everything SPOT on, which I don't see ever happening.

yep i can see your point, i would have much preferred a Fifa 09.1 rather than Fifa 10.

yep i can see your point, i would have much preferred a Fifa 09.1 rather than Fifa 10.

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not?

As far as I can remember 10 wasnt too much of a change on 09 was it?

Definitely prefer Fifa 10 to Fifa 09 though. The ability to run twice as many directions alone makes a huge difference.

nope i meant it, 09 was pretty darn good, 10 broke more things than it fixed.

• Advertisement

nope i meant it, 09 was pretty darn good, 10 broke more things than it fixed.

Can't really remember 09 too well at this stage, but I know I was happy with 10 and the improvements it brought with it. Really looking forward to this World Cup game now.

In what way do you think 10 went backwards??

Advertisement