Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password reset mail from Boards Group is legit; boards.* regional sites consolidated

Options
  • 07-04-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭

Edit: Just to point out that this is a valid e-mail, indicating a password reset for users of the old boards.jp/.us/.org.uk/.tv sites in their temporary home at boardsgroup.com. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the phishiness of the e-mail. There is an announcement here. John / Cloud.

An email is the first I'd heard of this.
    Cloud wrote:
    (You are receiving this message if you were registered on boards.jp/.us/.tv/.org.uk/.co.nz/.com.cn.)

Dear all -

I write this message to let you know of an ongoing consolidation of boards.* sites. This is in response to an attack on the main boards.ie server in January 2010. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806686

As a result, we have had to look at our multiple installations of vBulletin, phpBB, LoudBlog, PhotoPost, Gallery, vBDrupal, etc., and revise the number of software instances we are running. As a result, we decided to undergo a two-stage consolidation of these platforms.

Stage 1 - Done

For the past month or so, in Stage 1 of the consolidation process, we've been slowly importing all the content from our various sites. These are: boards.jp, boards.us, boards.tv, boards.org.uk (vBulletin); boards.com.cn, boards.co.nz (phpBB), podcasts.boards.ie, boards.jp/podcasts (LoudBlog); albums.boards.ie (PhotoPost); boards.jp/albums (Gallery); social.ie, boards.jp/blogs, boards.us/blogs, and boards.org.uk/blogs (vBDrupal) into a single vBulletin instance, temporarily housed here at boardsgroup.com. This has taken some time due to the custom import scripts required.

The result is this site, and we are reopening this forum before Stage 2 of the consolidation process.

Stage 1.5 - Doing

We are currently merging together smaller forums into bigger forums in order to make the category hierarchy more manageable. You will notice some changes in the drop down menus when this is completed over the next week or two.

Stage 2 - To Do

For Stage 2, the plan is to eventually import this consolidated set of forums into the main boards.ie database. While this will undoubtedly not be an ideal solution for many, we believe that this will give us the best future upgrade path for users of our forums.

If you would like to comment further on this move, please do so on the Feedback forum. http://www.boardsgroup.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=107

You will also be receiving a "Password Reset" message (if you haven't already); we are forcing password requests for all accounts due to the aforementioned issue.

With thanks for your patience,

John.
    --

I'd just like to say I like. Boards.us is (last time I checked, moons ago) a dustbowl, because most of the discussion goes on here and having two different platforms and sites was just bothersome.

I always liked the idea of Boards.com but as I understand it, thats just not very practical for the sake of expense. What about a .org?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is am I right in thinking that if you visit boardsgroup.com in the future you';ll also be able to see all the submenu's for boards.ie and will this also work visa versa....you visit boards.ie and you'll be able to see all the regions listed on boardsgroup.com?

If so I think it would be great and should drive alot of traffic to the other region/sites

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hi guys,

I got an email in my Hotmail Junk/Spam folder from an address called clouds@boards.ie

Is that actually ye or is it someone pretending to be ye??

If it isn't ye give me an address and I'll forward the mail on, if it is ye, sorry for wasting your time.

thanks

i just realised this is prob the wrong forum, could one of the mods move it to a more appropriate one please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Cloud did send a batch of emails yesterday.

ok grand thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I never even knew about boards group o_O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Boards group is new, it didn't exist before.

What the hell is Voltron? :confused:

I looked up my account there and some other "steve" got my username..
    I cot a cheap imported plastic copy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi,
    I just got the following email :

Dear deadl0ck,

As you requested, your password has now been reset. Your new details are as follows:

Username: deadl0ck
    Password: XXXXXXX

To change your password, please visit this page: http://www.boardsgroup.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editpassword

All the best,
    Boards Group Forums

Now maybe I clicked on a link by accident but I haven't even been on boards this morning yet....

Just a heads up for the mods in case it's something more sinister.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Were you a member of Boards.co.uk or Boards.tv or any of the other Boards related sites

Cloud was working on consolidating them and I think he mentioned something about password resets

Overheal has a thread on it here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think it's a scam?

I got it too.

I never heard of "boardsgroup.com"

So I'd not go there and enter anything!

So now Cloud and Boards are as famous as AIB, Western Union, and whatever else phising scams there are?

don't go here.
    Dear watty,

As you requested, your password has now been reset. Your new details are as follows:

Username: watty
    Password: 42218275

To change your password, please visit this page: http://www.boardsgroup.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editpassword

All the best,
    Boards Group Forums

Anyone can send an email that claims to be from Boards Group Forums <cloud@boards.ie>

Is this real? (headers)

(qmail 38821 messnum 11586399 invoked from network[89.234.66.104/ip-89-234-66-104.dedi.digiweb.ie]); 9 Apr 2010 08:39:21 -0000
    from ip-89-234-66-104.dedi.digiweb.ie (HELO beaker.boards.ie) (89.234.66.104) by mail24.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net (qp 38821) with SMTP;
    9 Apr 2010 08:39:21 -0000
    from beaker.boards.ie (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by beaker.boards.ie (8.13.1/8.13.1) with ESMTP id o398dKau049253 for <watty@eircom.net>; Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:39:20 +0100 (IST) (envelope-from john@beaker.boards.ie)
    (from root@localhost) by beaker.boards.ie (8.13.1/8.13.1/Submit) id o398dKlQ049252; Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:39:20 +0100 (IST) (envelope-from john)
    <20100409083920.ff889d2acdb8@2b3510a1cbf90c3339.vb_unknown.unknown>

Admittedly it "looks" like it came from boards?

I'm open to correction, but I think it's fake.

If it is real, it's stupid as such wording of email should NEVER be sent by legitimate site!

[edit] From other thread it looks real. But STUPIP STUPID wording that will ring alarm bells with anyone that knows the smell of Phish!

[edit] It should have been a differently worded email, maybe with link to original site or boards.ie.
    This could be a fake for all I know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

All being done as planned.

Start reading.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055877729

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Got an email from cloud@boards.ie yesterday about a consolidation of boards.ie.

Then today I get an email (from Boards Group Forums) telling me my password has been changed as per my request.

Is this all legit? Whats it all about?

The way these emails sent flies in the face of all the Education that is being attempted for consumers. Doing it like Phishing email. Since no-one requested a password reset and the domain name is different, this is SO badly done.

I just moved my site I co-mod from vBulletin + wordpress to Drupal*.
    * I sent an email explaining the change.
    * No-one had to change password, nor was asked to confirm or change a password.

(* http://www.techtir.ie It's definitely not competition to boards :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Ah - OK

It does look like a phishing email though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Is this going to affect our Boards.ie passwords? I dont want to change any passwords so is this an optional thing?

Certainly not very well worded to send an Email like that to people who have not requested anything in the way of a password change...

If I ignore it what will happen?

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

watty wrote: »
    The way these emails sent flies in the face of all the Education that is being attempted for consumers. Doing it like Phishing email. Since no-one requested a password reset and the domain name is different, this is SO badly done.

+1 to flying in the face of every bit of consumer advice propagated about phishing and online security in the last 100 years (ish) :rolleyes:...

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Lads is this legit???
    i didnt request any password change??if legit whats it about

Dear robtri,

Username: robtri
    Password:

All the best,
    Boards Group Forums

First "Spam" was in fact Victorian. About 20mins after the new Telegraph network went public!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Head wrote: »
    Is this going to affect our Boards.ie passwords? I dont want to change any passwords so is this an optional thing?

No it doesn't,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

have a read here to see whats happening and why:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I got this message with my boards username but I have a differant user name with boards.uk account, which do I use for my boardsgroup acount?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

LoLth wrote: »
    have a read here to see whats happening and why:

so its all above board then..... that thread doesnt explain anything sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I got one and deleted it, I assumed it was phishing

VERY ham-fisted effort by 'you know who you are'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Hi all -

Yes the e-mail is valid, indicating a reset of passwords on boardsgroup.com (a temporary consolidation of the boards.* regional sites).

Yes it's a stupid e-mail, just the default vBulletin one which probably doesn't say very much as it is just being called by a script. But there should have been a precursor e-mail sent about a consolidation of the boards.ie sites which mentioned the password reset - apologies if you didn't get that one.

In any case, since many would have used the same password for boards.ie and boards.*, it's best to force a password reset to be safe.

I thought I had gotten off lightly with just six complaining e-mails from 10,000 resets :)

John.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Hi. I was sent a password reset email there to say I requested it be changed.. I never asked for that. Can someone clairfy asap? I'm going to put a request now for a password change.

Your new password for Boards Group Forums‏

Dear congo_90,

Username: congo_90
    Password: ********

All the best,
    Boards Group Forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dear Anti,

Username:XXXX
    Password: XXXX

Thanks guys, but i'm 100% sure i did not request a new password. Is this a bug?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Got this as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878367

I assume you have an account with one of the other boards sites. Due to the consolidation of all boards sites, boards passwords are being changed for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Might be an idea to have a global announcement about the password reset as there are a lot of threads in teh helpdesk and a couple here about people worrying about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878367

I assume you have an account with one of the other boards sites. Due to the consolidation of all boards sites, boards passwords are being changed for all concerned.

boards.* (apart from .ie) passwords are being reset. You should have received a mail about that if you were registered on .uk/.us/etc.

Advertisement