Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend car that won't rust

• 08-04-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice please. My folks (retired and in their late 70's) need to replace the car (currently drive an '98 Megane). Looking for something along the lines of Fiesta/Corsa/Fabia/Ibiza.

They live close to the sea, and salt water corrosion is always a problem. I'd recommend they stay away for French and Italian cars because of the reliability, and my impression is that the Japanese cars aren't the greatest in the salt laden atmosphere.

Can any recommend a model ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Volvo are pretty rust free as far as I know. I think they are designed in Sweden with gritting roads in mind. Then again that may just be my imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Volvo - Hmmmmm - hadn't thought about that (should have though). Not sure what small model they make, but certainly worth a look. My auld man would like something with a bit of weight behind it, my mother would like something more manageable. Mike be some bargains to be had.

Thank's for that Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Ford maybe ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All modern cars shouldn't rust. Most/all have a long warranty against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Buy a TVR - they're made of plastic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

youtheman wrote: »
    They live close to the sea, and salt water corrosion is always a problem. I'd recommend they stay away for French and Italian cars because of the reliability, and my impression is that the Japanese cars aren't the greatest in the salt laden atmosphere.

Can any recommend a model ?.

Back_left.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Trabant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Renault A610

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hair Ball

yes all cars built from about 1988 on wards don't have rust problems
    I would recommend a Toyota Corolla you can't beat the Japs .
    My apologies if any little yellow people are reading this ,but you
    do make good Cars and fast food .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvo - Hmmmmm - hadn't thought about that (should have though). Not sure what small model they make, but certainly worth a look. My auld man would like something with a bit of weight behind it, my mother would like something more manageable. Mike be some bargains to be had.

Thank's for that Sam.

The smallest car Volvo make is the C30:

media?id=9651041&width=400&height=300

Not the most practical car for it's size, more of a coupe than a hatchback. Interior is a bit tight and I cannot see it appealing much to a retired couple to be honest. The smallest engine in them is 1.6 litre also.

Hair Ball wrote: »
    :)

I beg to differ. Looked under the bonnet of the folks 98 Megane and there was major evidence of salt water corrosion on the engine, bulkhead and every other piece of metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Take a look at any older type Ford Ka or recent enough Merc C class if you want to see a well post 1988 car rusting.

Also, Japanese fast food is fecking VILE ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

All modern cars shouldn't rust. Most/all have a long warranty against it.
    RobertM wrote: »
    Ford maybe ?

i will have to disagree here lads....
    cant find the thread but there was a thread recently here about brand new cars rusted badly upon delivery......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

defo something aluminium like a Honda NSX, Audi A8, or indeed the A2 if you want to be all sensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if they are mad....

lotus elise or opel speedster :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Lotus Elite.
    The whole thing was made out of fiberglass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

robtri wrote: »
    i will have to disagree here lads....
    cant find the thread but there was a thread recently here about brand new cars rusted badly upon delivery......

It was a couple of Transit connects and 1 or 2 Mondeo's iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Beta1

I see all the cars that have been recommended, and they are great, but if you are looking for value for Money, a car that has given no trouble since it came out in 2007 is the Fiat Bravo. I think they have a 7 year anti-corrosion warranty ( could be wrong), and the one I had ( passed on to my Parents) is a fantastic car. The car has been in Cork for the last 2 years down the East Coast near Ballycotton, and is still excellent !. i have seen other cars with surface rust come on them a few years old, but not on the Fiat's - they really have sorted it out.

i'm just saying this because they are great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hair Ball

Beta1 wrote: »
    I see all the cars that have been recommended, and they are great, but if you are looking for value for Money, a car that has given no trouble since it came out in 2007 is the Fiat Bravo. I think they have a 7 year anti-corrosion warranty ( could be wrong), and the one I had ( passed on to my Parents) is a fantastic car. The car has been in Cork for the last 2 years down the East Coast near Ballycotton, and is still excellent !. i have seen other cars with surface rust come on them a few years old, but not on the Fiat's - they really have sorted it out.

If you want to loose money about 40% for the first year, then buy a fiat.
    I'M sticking with my Yellow friends in Japo land ,or a VW Golf The Hun make
    a bloody good Car.
    As for the rust on your parents car, is it rust or a little dog poo a Quick
    Sniff should confirm :confused:

• Advertisement

Beta1 wrote: »

I think the Fiats maybe galvanised. I believe the Punto was (my wife drivers a Grande Punto, need to check to see if it is galvanised). If my folks were to consider a Fiat then they would have to balance the corrosion resistance with the undoubted unreliability (sorry Fiat owner, but I speak with some experience here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

a bloody good Car.
    As for the rust on your parents car, is it rust or a little dog poo a Quick
    Sniff should confirm :confused:

I really don't know where to start with that one

I think the Fiats maybe galvanised. I believe the Punto was (my wife drivers a Grande Punto, need to check to see if it is galvanised). If my folks were to consider a Fiat then they would have to balance the corrosion resistance with the undoubted unreliability (sorry Fiat owner, but I speak with some experience here).

I would have assumed ALL cars were galvanised these days.

We've had nearly nothing other than Fiat's in this house and not one has had rust since the 1994 reg one. 5 to 8 year anti perforation warranty on any recent model.

Don't live beside the sea but the cars spend enough time on an offshore island in Donegal or sitting on the pierside in the ferry port!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The only post-2000 cars i've ever seen with rust were Mercedes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Alfasud !

testicle wrote: »
    Alfasud !

That only won't rust by virtue of there being no solid metal left to rust :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a bloody good Car.
    Obviously then: you've never owned a Fiat, or a VW 1.4 petrol. Fiat's haven't rusted in a long, long time (sic), and VW out-do anyone with the ball of shyte, that is their 1.4 engine.
    Well I bought a new Fiat in 96, and I'm sorry I sold it, tbh, years later. Best car experience I ever had. Have had other relatives/friends buy them since, with no issues.
    stimpson wrote: »
    defo something aluminium like a Honda NSX, Audi A8, or indeed the A2 if you want to be all sensible
    Why do people think Aluminium doesn't corrode ? Oh yes it does, and unprotected, a heck of a lot faster than steel, actually.....
    Anan1 wrote: »
    The only post-2000 cars i've ever seen with rust were Mercedes.
    LOL, funny you should say that: my old 01 W201 would agree !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

i don't think they have made such a car yet...all cars will rust

what a bout a corvette they have fiberglass body's:P

would suit a pensioner to the ground:D

we had an 89 jap import pajeroe once that was under coated with a rubber like gunk underneath,at the same time we bought a uk spec 97 shogun and it actully had 10 times more rust on it

so id look into the japs if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mayoman ngalway

saab's, should be ok, as far as i know their in the same boat as the volvos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Fast food? Japan???? are you thinking of their neighbours????

Once they get it washed regularly most modern car should be fine, as said they will all rust eventually probably. Dunno where the post 88 cars won't rust comes from, all of the following had bits and pieces of rust (minor) on them while I had them 1990 rover 414 (tiny bit inside drivers door), 1995 rover 214 SEi (above the hatch where the water used to hang around), 1997 Rover 400 (bottom of rear arches), 1993 Prelude (rear archs) & 1992 Merc 250 (tailgate, rear windscreen, odd blister here and there).

The ones that haven't 1999 Rover 600 and 1995 Celica, just got a 1993 520i tourer this week and she has minor bits that have been touched up, nothing structural.

My Dad has a 1999 Hyundai Accent from new and it's mint, sister has a 2001 Ka and I haven't found any rust despite looking for it once or twice.

As other folks have said the 95 on Mercs were shocking for rust, especially ones who were driven on salted roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

galwaytt wrote: »
    Obviously then: you've never owned a Fiat, or a VW 1.4 petrol. Fiat's haven't rusted in a long, long time (sic), and VW out-do anyone with the ball of shyte, that is their 1.4 engine.

Well I bought a new Fiat in 96, and I'm sorry I sold it, tbh, years later. Best car experience I ever had. Have had other relatives/friends buy them since, with no issues.

Why do people think Aluminium doesn't corrode ? Oh yes it does, and unprotected, a heck of a lot faster than steel, actually.....

LOL, funny you should say that: my old 01 W201 would agree !
    Aluminium is very resistant to corrosion due to it's oxide coating. I've seen first hand how well aluminium resists corrosion... we have a steel boat, which requires the proper treatment for obvious reasons to protect from rust. However there's an aluminium boat beside us which is on the go and literally abused and neglected for the past 22 years now, and it's still perfect.
    Agree on the Fiats though, one in my family is around for 5 years with us now and is 9 years old, and never missed a beat.
    Might be worth noting that Fiats 150bhp TJet 1.4 petrol has no known issues, which can't be said of VW's 1.4 turbo effort... Maybe it's because VW were new to the idea of building a proper petrol engine after years of utter shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

20 years old this year, stripped as you can see, no finished paint under the wings/etc, and yet.........not a speck of rust. Must be made of unobtainium...:D

742714514_hLryD-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Reliant Robin is all fibreglass afaik plus you'd save 25% on tyres.

Advertisement