Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volkswagen garage Dublin - oil light issue

• 08-04-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Anyone know a good VW garage in Dublin. Recently got a service and the oil light is flashing though my oil is full. Today i passed the NCT with no issues but i still have a flashing light that i am concerned about, my main concern is an underlying pressure problem that could damage the engine. I have got it checked twice and no one seems to be able to find a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Wonder if its as simple as the oil light sender swith/connection
    bein at fault. Could the garage not try a new one on the engine
    see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Yeah, i am thinking thats the next step i should take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

HAs the oil pressure itself been checked? It's most probably the sender but, as you seem to realize, the stakes are high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Is the light red or yellow?

If it's the oil level light (yellow one) it could be the switch on the bonnet catch.

Red flashing, comes on a couple of seconds after i start the car. Anyone know of a VW garage i could bring it to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

alitoast wrote: »
    Red flashing, comes on a couple of seconds after i start the car. Anyone know of a VW garage i could bring it to?

What car and engine is it? If it was me I would bypass vw and go to someone who knows about the specific engine in your car.

Is it a 1.4 golf by any chance?

Yep, the more i read about the 1.4l the more i get worried. its a 2002 VW golf 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Used this forum for lots of VW advice when I had one, they have an outlet in Clondalkin too.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/community/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

alitoast wrote: »
    Yep, the more i read about the 1.4l the more i get worried. its a 2002 VW golf 1.4

Are you still driving the car with the oil light problem?
    If you are you could be doing some major damage. For starters you need to get an oil pressure test done, this will tell you if the oil is being pumped around the engine properly. If your oil pressure is fine the problem is probably a sensor.

A guy I work with has had the same problem for a while now, he kept driving the car and now needs a new engine. Low oil pressure due to blocked pickup in the sump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

i had the same problem after servicing the partners car there is nothing wrong with the car at all its just when you got it serviced they put in the wrong oil and it is clogging the oil sensor

you can test it by taking out the oil sensor to the front of the engine you'll see the 2 sensors on the front of the head aiming at the radiator just pop the smaller one lightly clean it with a bit of tissue making sure you don't damage it and put it back in and it will work for a couple hours maybe days

vw car don't take kindly to some of the newer oils out there it but i'd say change the oil most good good motorfactor or the vw garage will tell you the right oil to use the new long life and stuff are a problem for vw

• Advertisement
Advertisement