Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work For Women in Australia

Options
  • 08-04-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey folks just wondering is their much in the way of work for women in Australia, i have heard their are plenty of jobs for men in construction but its almost impossible for women to find work is this true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Women work in construction too as Traffic control, and is very popular with Irish girls. You would have to do a traffic control ticket course and the money for Stop/GO work is about $1000 pw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Little D wrote: »
    almost impossible for women to find work is this true??
    Are you asking is there work in construction for women or work in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

What do you do for a living now?

What kind of work are you looking for?

It’s not impossible for women to find work here. Men tend to be offered unskilled laboring work more because generally men are stronger then women which is good if your lugging materials from one side of a building site to the other all day, but I cant see why a woman couldn’t find work over here depending on the job your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

currently working in admin and have for 3 years now, but would do any kind of general work thanks for the tips guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eggtop_r

Hi mandrake04, do you have any information on where one could look into doing the traffic control ticket course?thanks

• Advertisement

eggtop_r wrote: »
    Hi mandrake04, do you have any information on where one could look into doing the traffic control ticket course?thanks

Sure

http://www.travellers.com.au/WorkInOz/TrainingCourses/TrafficControlCourse/tabid/487/Default.aspx

You also will need the green card

http://www.travellers.com.au/WorkInOz/TrainingCourses/GreenWhiteCard/tabid/484/Default.aspx

Also a tip for work try and google Retro Traffic I know that most of the chicks who work for this outfit are Irish, I know one girl worked as a supervisor in this mob for 5 years.

Also another company called Australian Traffic Management is Irish owned, they even submit a float on the Paddies day Parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Hey folks just wondering is their much in the way of work for women in Australia, i have heard their are plenty of jobs for men in construction but its almost impossible for women to find work is this true??

My friend moved to Sydney last year and has a college degree and lots of work experience in her field but she couldn't find a job there and after about 6 mnths just settled for a job as a receptionist which she is still doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Check the back page of BBM magazine, plenty of high paying female only jobs there ;)

This traffic control business, is it actually easy to get regular work, and is it for female only? A grand a week, if the work is regular, seems pretty sweet for holding a sign (must be boring as fcuk mind)

Check the back page of BBM magazine, plenty of high paying female only jobs there ;)

Ha I know what your talking about Damo, and I yes I have met Irish girls working in RnT and bordello's. Last time I was in showgirls in the KX there was an Irish girl dancing there. Not ideal occupations but I suppose but to some its either that or the walk of shame.

This traffic control business, is it actually easy to get regular work, and is it for female only? A grand a week, if the work is regular, seems pretty sweet for holding a sign (must be boring as fcuk mind)

Its as regular as any civil construction outfit, its requirement to have a controller when guys are working on the road. Guys can do it as well but in the above named mobs I have only ever seen girls. Tough enough standing in 40C heat.

My friend moved to Sydney last year and has a college degree and lots of work experience in her field but she couldn't find a job there and after about 6 mnths just settled for a job as a receptionist which she is still doing

Shes probably on a WHV, best advice is take what you can get and be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Childminding... au pair style role.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

currently working in admin and have for 3 years now, but would do any kind of general work thanks for the tips guys

My gf works in admin over here and has done for the past two years. She's been with big engineering companies and gets paid very well.

There are opportunities in that area definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

Hi,

In my experience it's easier for girls to find temp work than guys when it comes to office admin/ receptionist/ pa type roles. Join an agency like charterhouse or smf recruitment (etc- there are loads) and you should get some work from them. Another idea is to apply for tons of jobs on seek.com (they have an admin jobs section) and you'll hopefully hear something back. It does take patience though - you might have to apply for 50 jobs on seek to hear back from one, but keep going and you should succeed eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Also coffee shops, waitressing or retail

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

A lot easier for girls to get office work.

I always wondered why it was mostly girls holding the signs at roadworks.. 1k a week is awesome.
    A lot of roadworks in Melbourne CBD happen at night so the sun wouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement