Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

games on demand

• 08-04-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

has anyone used this service yet? has there been any talk of the price coming down at all does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

has anyone used this service yet? has there been any talk of the price coming down at all does anyone know?

I looked at it but all i could see was games i can buy 2nd hand for 5 to 10 euro that cost 40 to download and you cant trade them in after your finished. Seems fairly pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah the pricing is total joke, forget about 2nd hand most of them can be bought new for less than they are charging, and you could walk to the shop faster than they will download on the average connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Don't use it - prices are awful...

Was about to add exactly what calex said, just as well I scrolled up :)

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Pretty much what has been said already - The price €29.99 is the lowest, for most games that you can pick up between €5-15 second hand. Not really worth it at the moment. In the States they get a 'platinum hits' line on the Games on Demand and you can get some decent games for $19.99 (about €15). That'd be worth it.

Again - as with the Zune Video stuff - we're the poor relations here, expected to pay a higher price for a lesser service.

A missed opportunity for sure, because I'd support it if it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Again - as with the Zune Video stuff - we're the poor relations here, expected to pay a higher price for a lesser service.

A missed opportunity for sure, because I'd support it if it was worth it.

The main problem with all these things as far as I'm concerned is that after the pricing problem our internet here for the most part is just too slow to make these services worth while. Even then on my 20mb connection I never get anywhere close to full speed when downloading stuff from live on the xbox.

You would be down to xtra vision and back with the dvd quicker than these movies would download. The Sky model of on demand stuff etc and live TV could be fantastic if it wasn't so bloody expensive :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yeah, some evenings when i'm flicking through and see something like GTA IV I think about purchasing because I kinda want to play it now, but it's absolutely outrageous pricing. Just can't justify it especially when I can't sell it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

They can't undercut what retailers might (/rrp is) sell new copies of the games are without pissing off Gamestop etc (who they need to sell consoles, accessories and the majority of games).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

I bought GTAIV from the service before Xmas when the game was still retailing new at 29.99 in my local Xtravision and 24.99 used. I had points to spare so I decided to get it from GOD. The 29.99 price tag was off putting however if you change payment option to pay with points the game is then only 2400 points.

These games will come down in price, some already have. You can get Viva Pinata for 19.99/1600 points. Yes you can get the game for 6.49 from Play.com but they won't have that stock forever. I love the fact that later in the 360's lifecycle we will still be able to purchase these games when most stores wont have stock. I would love to be able to get Jet Set Radio Future or Panzer Dragoon Orta for the orginal xbox. You just cannot find copies of these games in any gameshop in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The biggest problem is Microsoft put them online under cash rather than MSP's. You just have to look at PSN and Steam to see that we always get screwed over if stuff is offered in $=€ rather than MSP.

Also, MS cant undercut retailers so have to sell games at the RRP, its to prevent companies screwing over distributors since MS and Sony produce the system the product runs on. Not sure of the exact legal standing but its something like trying to create a closed market where you can either €xx amount to a shop or €xx/2 for a dowloaded copy from MS and Sony as they have an unfair advantage. its why the PSPGo has failed, you can only buy games online from Sony and they charge a ridiculous amount for them.

All the games in the GoD list should be selling at the prices listed there but retailers will just drop the price to shift stock, or they gave out F all credit for preowned copies. You have to wonder how long they will be available in the next console gen, the Xbox originals were nice but had a few glaring omissions (Panzer Dragon, JSRF, Oddworld)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

I just use it for Xbox Originals, because it's pretty hard to find any shops that will still sell Xbox Original games unless you go out to Dublin City, and 1200 MSP isn't INSANELY over-priced. But yeah, don't use it. It's just M$ trying to sucker people in by having the convenience of playing the game straight from HDD, with no need of having to switch discs, and charging way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    The biggest problem is Microsoft put them online under cash rather than MSP's. You just have to look at PSN and Steam to see that we always get screwed over if stuff is offered in $=€ rather than MSP.

It is also possible to pay with points, which makes it slightly cheaper if you get a good deal on buying points online. (You press Y when you click to buy the game to switch from Cash to MS Points).

Good sticky thread for Points / Gold membership prices online - [http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055846688]

Still outrageous pricing, though.

Advertisement