Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a load of sods?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just dug up a load of my front lawn. About a standard skip full. Sod dug up with spade, about 5-6 inches deep of real good soil.
    Gonna keep some for myself as topsoil, but need to get rid of most of it.
    Placed a free ad here on adverts.
    Also on dublinwaste.ie.
    Any other suggestions?
    Seems a shame to skip it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

In the past I've gone out onto the green across from my house and spread a few barrows around the manholes where the manhole is sitting high and the soil has sunken around it, even now I could do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Cheers,
    Stuck it up on jumbletown.
    Never heard of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I did same myself last 2 days - dug a monster bed out the front. So I took the sod out back, dug up the back bed & put it in under it to raise it. The rest I put upside down down the back & hosed it heavily. In a few weeks the grass will be rotten off & magic tons of soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Yeah will keep a pile of it for top soil. But I dont have room for it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

A grass wall.
    As as kid I made one with grass sods and stacked them on top of each other about a foot high.. eventually I had a lovely green wall at the edge of "my" border in my parents garden..

At the weekend, when creating a new border I build another one to build up a gap in our ditch ..

or you could build a sofa ... :)
    rm06_sod_sofa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Donnchadh

Hey, this might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. I dug up a load of grass sods to make some space for flower beds. It's all planted now and I have a big pile of grass sods that I need to get rid of. If I just leave it ,will the grass die off and leave me with a load of top soil or do I need to add something to kill off the grass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stack it in a corner, and apart from the exposed soil, the grass will die off, leaving you with decent topsoil. will take months, though, for the sods to break down.

Advertisement