Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat. Finishing is the target - not racing :)

Exactly - I'm a first timer too and am using this mantra: Complete. Don't Compete.
    Macros42 wrote: »
    The only concern is the new famine road section. It's very stony. Make sure you pump up the tyres as hard as they will allow to avoid punctures. And bring a spare tube or two as well.

From what I hear even with Gatorskins we'll have to carry/push the bikes, as even with an MTB you wouldn't cycle most of that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Definitely bring bug spray for out in Killary, always get ate alive out there with midges!!!!

We were stopped out there for 2 minutes a few weeks ago, just grabbing the bikes outta the van, it was torture, scratching the legs then for ages on the way from Killary to westport.

it's actually unreal- i dont think ive ever come across a place like it on the planet- it's the fjord i suppose. if it rains at all it's even worse, and is like 'night of the living dead' for midges- if you so much as stop for 10 seconds, you get devoured. after the training weekend last yr, my neck and knees looked like i had a flesh eating disease. dont remember it being so bad on the day of GFW itself.. but then i was moving all the time. During the training you'll be stopping and starting and they pounce when you stop..

Seres please report back on monday with any advice that Chris gives, especially with regard to the new cycle etc....

r0nanf wrote: »
    From what I hear even with Gatorskins we'll have to carry/push the bikes, as even with an MTB you wouldn't cycle most of that section.

if that's the case, then a road bike is by far the best option, considering the remaining 40km is on roads.. if you're gonna be walking most of the new section, you may as well pick up time on the 40km and have a lighter bike to walk/run/carry on this new section

i better learn how to change a tyre, assume AA won't come to my rescue if i need them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

From what I hear even with Gatorskins we'll have to carry/push the bikes, as even with an MTB you wouldn't cycle most of that section.[/QUOTE]

I did the complete cycle a few weeks ago. I was on a Giant Defy 4 roadbike with slick tyres and was able to cycle the full route including Sceilp. That's the bit after the climb of CP. Only problem was if I got out of the saddle the back wheel was inclined to spin on gravel. Actually fell over at one point as I had forgotten to loosen the toe straps and speed reduced to 0kph. Embarassing as we met some walkers right at that point. My friend was on a hybrid and he had no problems. It was very dry, for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They said that about the first stage in Connemara too. Road bikes had trouble but I got through it fine on my hybrid. The surface doesn't look that bad - it's gravelly which will slow you down but it should be ok if the tyres are pumped hard.
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i better learn how to change a tyre, assume AA won't come to my rescue if i need them:rolleyes:

You should definitely practise changing a tube. I'll have one in the saddlebag and another in the bag just in case. But you really should practice changing one - especially on the back wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guys, can i get some advice on my "training plan" :p

Cycling on average about about 250k a week, a variety of commutes 40k round trip (form next week it'll be 65k) 2/3 days a week, evening spins 20-30k and weekend spins 40k. Generally on the flat but a few hills in there too

Running is getting easier and this weekend i'll be doing a 40k cycle, an hour or so of mountain and running and then a 40k cycle. Am i heading on the right track? I'd in general be relatively fit but my legs seem to get quite tired from the cycling i'm doing.

snailsong wrote: »
    I was on a Giant Defy 4 roadbike with slick tyres and was able to cycle the full route including Sceilp.

That's great news as that's exactly what I'm cycling! Giant Defy 4 w/gatorskins - happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Cycling on average about about 250k a week, a variety of commutes 40k round trip (form next week it'll be 65k) 2/3 days a week, evening spins 20-30k and weekend spins 40k. Generally on the flat but a few hills in there too

Running is getting easier and this weekend i'll be doing a 40k cycle, an hour or so of mountain and running and then a 40k cycle. Am i heading on the right track? I'd in general be relatively fit but my legs seem to get quite tired from the cycling i'm doing.

If thats the going rate then I may as well quit now!!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Trotter wrote: »
    If thats the going rate then I may as well quit now!!!! :eek:
    I wouldnt say that! I just commute a lot on the bike so i rack up the kms quickly. I find going for a spin in the evening on the days i dont cycle quite relaxing, its a lot more enjoyable when you're not commuting to work so that helps aswell.

And generally go for the long spins with a friend (whos doing the GFW also). I'd like to complete the course without having to take rest stops thats my aim, also a good friend is getting married a couple of weeks later so it helps me get in shape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Dunno why people keep apologising for newbie questions, that's what this thread is for!

...and I've got another one, just out of interest, CWPORT, what are gels?? Not fixing fixing your hair along the course I assume!

Got a new way smaller camelbak for the event, with feck all pocket space, enough for my gels & power bars....

I injured my back a and was out of training for three weeks, just got back into it this week, can't believe how much a few weeks (and a sneaky festival in between) can set you back...I'm back to being worried about finishing again. Gonna have really get stuck in for the next couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Also going mad, havn't run for more than a mile or so for six weeks due to knee injury. I can cycle ok but need to resume running obv. Doing first GF at 40 (if knee gets sorted). Not making much progress with physio. Is there anyone you'd recommend? I'm also in westport.

I've had problems with my right knee as long as I can remember, then recently injured my back and it turned out that a bad back was causing the knee trouble the whole time, I was put onto a really good sports injury physio, in Crumlin, Dublin. One session later and a mountain of stretching and I'm way better, but unfit due to the loss in training, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.

I can't recommend a physio in Westport but if there's nothing happening with your physio I'd shop around, otherwise you wasting (presumably) a lot of cash. If you're gonna be up in Dublin at all and you wanna book a session with this guy PM me and I'll give you his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

That's great news as that's exactly what I'm cycling! Giant Defy 4 w/gatorskins - happy days

We climbed the reek and when we got back to the mountain rescue prefabs there were 8 bikes there, 5 were Giant Defy 4.
    Aren't Gator Skins slick? I might get something with a bit more grip.

IMHO you're doing too much cycling and not enough running/hill running.. Peter?

How much benefit are you going to get out of cycling on mainly flat for 250k a week? You need to decrease that and increase your running and get into the mountains.. but i'm no expert!

We climbed the reek and when we got back to the mountain rescue prefabs there were 8 bikes there, 5 were Giant Defy 4.
    Aren't Gator Skins slick? I might get something with a bit more grip.

Yes they're slick, but once they're up to 120psi they're (almost!) puncture proof and fast. I would advise keeping the psi up there at 100+ so get a floor pump - I had a number of burst tubes when first fitted due to the pressure being too low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

it's actually unreal- i dont think ive ever come across a place like it on the planet- it's the fjord i suppose. if it rains at all it's even worse, and is like 'night of the living dead' for midges- if you so much as stop for 10 seconds, you get devoured. after the training weekend last yr, my neck and knees looked like i had a flesh eating disease. dont remember it being so bad on the day of GFW itself.. but then i was moving all the time. During the training you'll be stopping and starting and they pounce when you stop..

Seres please report back on monday with any advice that Chris gives, especially with regard to the new cycle etc....

will report all back , thanks for advice on insect repellent , wasnt goin to bother with it till reading here !!!
    if that's the case, then a road bike is by far the best option, considering the remaining 40km is on roads.. if you're gonna be walking most of the new section, you may as well pick up time on the 40km and have a lighter bike to walk/run/carry on this new section

thank god im not the only one , always carry spar tubes + mobile , always hopeful that someone passing a woman in destress will know how to change a bike tube :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think you'll be fine....thats a lot of milage you are covering in a week, 3 or 4 times more than I do.

Vitamin C wrote: »
    ...and I've got another one, just out of interest, CWPORT, what are gels?? Not fixing fixing your hair along the course I assume!

Energy Gels, Highly recommend them.

Easy to take on the go, about 150cals per gel, and are great for energy, I found thats all I could take doing GF last year, I felt sick eating solids a few hours into the event.

Look them up on wiggle.co.uk.
    I got High5 Energy Gels, aint tried them yet, had Carb Boost Gels last year, I couldn't find them on the site this year.

I think you'll be fine....thats a lot of milage you are covering in a week, 3 or 4 times more than I do.

do you not think though that he should be doing less cycling and more running?

Seres- re the 'damsel in distress flat tyre' (am a spazzy and cant multi-quote)- that might work on the side of the road in a car, but we'd be cycled over in GF i'd say!!!!!! i'm picking up my new bike tonite (Giant Rapid 2)0 so am going to ask the lads in cyclesurgery to show me.. although on the day i'm definitely thinking of jogging the 4km offroad bit rather than cycling it. i figure that woudl be quicker than cycling it and changing a tyre? i've gotten puncture resistant tyres too.. hoepfully chris will give you some good advice this weekend anyway. Enjoy and report back monday. Trust me on the bugspray! (and the sunscreen!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Energy Gels, Highly recommend them.

Easy to take on the go, about 150cals per gel, and are great for energy, I found thats all I could take doing GF last year, I felt sick eating solids a few hours into the event.

Look them up on wiggle.co.uk.
    I got High5 Energy Gels, aint tried them yet, had Carb Boost Gels last year, I couldn't find them on the site this year.

This I suppose crosses over with the energy gel thread on the main forum, but I was reading this article on the Wiggle blog this morning and found it of some use
    http://blog.wiggle.co.uk/2010/04/20/wiggles-guide-to-sports-nutrition-for-running/

However it still leaves me with lots of decisions. I was originally thinking of using Nuuns in my camelback but then read about the High5 stuff which are both isotonic and energy providing, but then what bloody High5 product to use, their purely Isotonic stuff or their Energy Source 4:1 stuff ?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=249&order=3

I'll just have to try each one I suppose. At the West Wicklow ROAR I took a bottle of this stuff at the begining, http://www.5hourenergy.com/ and found it good but I still took on some energy gels, can't remember the brand but you can get them in 53 Degrees North, during the race. Felt good immediately after the race but did struggle up that last bloody hill on the bike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

do you not think though that he should be doing less cycling and more running?

It will transfer up to a point, any exercise it better than none, but if he can get in a 5/8 or 10km run or 2 a week then that will certainly help. His base will be a lot better than a large percentage of people participating.

On the tires and bike choice, last year anyone on a roadbike tore up the mountain bikers, not unless you are a very strong cyclist then you will be at a disadvantage on a mountain bike as most of the Sheffry/CP approach and Skelp is hilly.
    Tires, they are shouting for gators, but there are plenty of tire choices out there which won't cost you as much. Look at some of the kevlar tires and a bit of common sense on the trails, if you have to walk on some of it fair enough.

On the gels, make sure what ever you are using that you have used them on training sessions before, some gels don't suit people and can cause the old "Rodney trotters" so make sure what ever you have that your body likes them.

If you think you might cramp then the Nuun tablets are great, or get electrolyte tablets in your chemist, take one the nite before and then put them in your water.
    Also a pince of salt and glucose in water will assist in stopping cramping.

From what I have read keep hydrated on a regular basis, ensuring you get fluid into you every 15/20 mins, sipping will stave off cramps, if you get "dry mouth" then you are heading for trouble.
    Estimates say you could rip off 4000 calories during the event so make sure you have the right foods to replace the glucose.

"Carbing up" will provide the glucose to provide your body with energy, if your body doesn't find the carbs, then your body will look for alternative sources, when it does this it creates latic acid which leads to tiredness and cramps :)

So as CK says look for energy gels/bars/tabs. High-5 are very good.
    Also foods which are good are bananas, jaffa cakes, wine gums.

BTW I am no expert on any of the above, just giving me 2 cents ;)

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This I suppose crosses over with the energy gel thread on the main forum, but I was reading this article on the Wiggle blog this morning and found it of some use
    http://blog.wiggle.co.uk/2010/04/20/wiggles-guide-to-sports-nutrition-for-running/

Good article that.

Maximuscle’s Viper Extreme and High5’s XTreme sound very good.

A lot of the cyclists in the club i'm in use Viper.

I had planned on using Nuun tablets in water, but now thinking that Viper might be a better option.

Salt tablet Vs Energy drink mix? Any opinions?

Salt tablet Vs Energy drink mix? Any opinions?

I'm going to try get to the local stockist over the next day or two and get both and see which works best for me anyway. The last hard run I had in the hills I had Energiser with me and although I had no trouble with it previously I found it a bit too sickening at that particular time and wished I had water instead with me, I think I'll be leaving it till before and after from now on, some of the energy drink mixes such as the High5 one seems to be more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭383Ger

Hi all,

Signed up for this a few weeks ago with a vague knowledge of what was expected, and now having read the complete thread here.....gulp!!! The closest I have come to this type of event before was when I did ToughGuy UK last year (winter). Has anyone else on here done both and how did they find GF in comparison? I am training regularly both cycling and running but realise now I need to do a lot more hill work....I appreciate too all the tips from those who did GF on previous years...Good luck to everyone.

I'm going to try get to the local stockist over the next day or two and get both and see which works best for me anyway. .................some of the energy drink mixes such as the High5 one seems to be more palatable.

I must try out some Viper, will borrow a sachet off one of the lads and see what its like.

I have High5 Zero tablets, similar to Nuun, found them good.

I have High5 Gels with caffeine and Energy bars too, have yet to try the gels, but the bars seem good.

Also, got Powerbar Ride Shots, they are like jelly sweets, easy to eat on the bike, tried them 1st in the Wicklow Adventure Race, they were free during the race, they were good.

All these chemicals and mixes can't be good for the stomach when you think about it though!

@Wonkagirl

Nice Bike that Giant Rapid 2....Interesting to see how a racer with flat bars compares to normal racers on the day, it will be way ahead of the hybrids anyways.

I use a flat bar road bike myself and find I don't loose anything on the drop bar cyclists, obviously it depends on the rider though. The only disadvantage I've met is on descents due to being less aerodynamic so you lose a bit then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

havent used bike in ages and clips are a bit rusted , sholud i use them for the training weekend or just ordinary pedals , find the clips much better for speed but would i fall off the bike on one of the steep ascends if i cant get the shoes unclipped from the bike quickly ? also don intend using either ordinary pedals or clips for the GF will probably use the strap ins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Seres wrote: »
    havent used bike in ages and clips are a bit rusted , sholud i use them for the training weekend or just ordinary pedals , find the clips much better for speed but would i fall off the bike on one of the steep ascends if i cant get the shoes unclipped from the bike quickly ? also don intend using either ordinary pedals or clips for the GF will probably use the strap ins

Bring your race configuration and test it out!

@everyone....

Don't tie yerselves in knots on the whole nutrition thing. Different people have different preferences. I did Gael Force using a bottle of lucozade energy (tranferred to my bike bottle) and nothing else. Just had a few bars and some fruit juice beforehand for brekkie, IIRC. Keep it simple. Don't stress about it.

Also, IMHO, Nuun tabs and suchlike are of limited use in the Irish climate. (but brilliant for hotter climates). I'd have a preference for something with a lot more energy (Nuuns have none whatsoever).

I use a flat bar road bike myself and find I don't loose anything on the drop bar cyclists, obviously it depends on the rider though. The only disadvantage I've met is on descents due to being less aerodynamic so you lose a bit then.

it's got to be neglible enough tho, surely you can replicate the aerodynamic-ness?

Picked up the giant rapid last nite.. it's a beauty. i love it! blue (hate red) i love the flat bars. i was sitting in the living room eyeing it up last nite. cant wait to take it for a burn later.

it's got to be neglible enough tho, surely you can replicate the aerodynamic-ness?

I'd say you could mimic it to an extent.

Racers will flat bars look class I think, my girlfriend just bought the Giant Dash 4, tis very similar to the Rapid models. Lovely bike, was a bit jealous I have to admit as my bike is a 10yr old Cannondale. I could do with upgrading.

As for the energy drink, gonna try out some viper this weekend if I am fit to train, and see if it makes a difference on a long spin on the bike.

• Advertisement

You can, you need to tuck everything right in so it's a little more awkward than a road bike. Nice bike by the way.

Advertisement